Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Am I a p***y by switching to a 32 Cassette
Quote | Reply
63 years old and i have been riding on the road for close to 20 years and I am finally losing raw power to drive me over climbs, also seem to have lost a little interest in riding more hills to overcome this current weakness.

Weight is coming down thanks to 'Loseit" and the Slowtwitch forum recommendation.and also back at the gym twice a week lifting weights which i usually only do in the winter .

Just feel like I am being a pussy by switching from 28 to 32 and to be fair I have no idea how much easier it will be .
Quote Reply
Re: Am I a p***y by switching to a 32 Cassette [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sward wrote:
63 years old and i have been riding on the road for close to 20 years and I am finally losing raw power to drive me over climbs, also seem to have lost a little interest in riding more hills to overcome this current weakness.

Weight is coming down thanks to 'Loseit" and the Slowtwitch forum recommendation.and also back at the gym twice a week lifting weights which i usually only do in the winter .

Just feel like I am being a pussy by switching from 28 to 32 and to be fair I have no idea how much easier it will be .

No. At 63, IMO, you should have long since given up caring if anybody thinks you're a p***y and just do whatever the f**k you feel makes you happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope not at all. Sounds sensible, choose your gears based on terrain.
When you buy a electric assist, then you will get called names.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 32 on my road bike with a mid compact and I’m not a slouch on the bike. No desire to grind up hills in Colorado. They made gears for a reason. Don’t be the moron who has a cadence of 10 going up a mountain because you don’t want more gears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you are running that 58T in 1x, it's fine. Otherwise....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froome uses a 32t from time to time, that should answer your question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Some rear derailleurs have a limit as to how many teeth they can handle. Make sure yours can before investing.

Meow.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spin to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using one for hilly courses for a few years now and I'm not even 53.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 32... live in Madison, WI where its pretty hilly and made the switch from a 28 to a 32 and absolutely love it.

sward wrote:

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have to ask........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of years on you!! :-) During the recent Ride The Rockies - I had a 28 on the back and was crying for a 32-- so go for it and ride as you wish... :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friends and I try to hammer a 7 mile segment that has a 2 mile "wall" on it and this year I switch to a long cage derailleur with a 32t cassette and love having the extra gear. I don't feel like I'm dying at the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, it doesn’t make you any less manly.

I’m 29 and ride a 34/32, sometimes 34/34. It is nice to have when hitting 20% switch backs.

For me, 80 cadence feels like I’m starting to grind. So it’s great to spin up mountain climbs.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could split the manliness difference and go with a 30-tooth cassette. It will give you tighter gear ratios and work better with a short-cage derailleur

If I make it to 63, still cycling, I will certainly have a 34-tooth or larger big ring in the back and while that might make me a pu**y, I suspect I'll be too tired to care.
Last edited by: JoeO: Jul 10, 18 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Am I a p***y by switching to a 32 Cassette [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How fast you get to top is what matters, not how big your cassette is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sward wrote:
Just feel like I am being a pussy by switching from 28 to 32
Quite the opposite. People regularly take shelter in insufficient granny gears. "Oh, I'm calmly slow-pedaling because I'm in a ridiculously high gear." "Let's just do some flat land today, I don't have my little gears." Excuses excuses excuses.

When you've got itsy-bitsy gears, you can't go slow unless you feel like going slow or are too weak to go fast. You can't complain that hills are intrinsically hard, because the difficulty of a hill is your own choice. There's no shame in winning spinning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are being a pu**y by worrying about it. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you care about the opinion of the sort of person who would judge you for this? Personally, sounds like a raging no-brainer to me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What go you have up front?
I am also 63 and my new bike came with a huge 28. I like the 28.
To answer your question, Real men don’t ride a 32. Especially true since we might race each other.😜
Time to toughen up. Go ride some mountains!
Yes, I am half joking.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. There , I gave you the reality check no one else wanted to. Of course, you are in good company as I’m joining you very soon despite being 20 years younger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I love about my 32 - I can do anything on it. Hills, yep. Flats, yep. Descents, yep. No need to change anything out, ever. Just take the bike and go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 45, also been bike racing for 20 years, and put a 32 on for the first time this year for hilly courses like Tremblant. I've used it for two races so far, should have put it on sooner, I love it for the real steep stuff. The last two races I used it on are also the first two times in a long time that I made it through the 21km runs without leg cramps. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My new bike came with a 34 on the back. I am now able to spin up the hills and not grind my way up. Much easier on the knees.
Quote Reply

Prev Next