Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued
Quote | Reply
I was disappointed to see this today on the IM Syracuse site.

http://www.ironman.com/....aspx#/axzz5KoFPPcak

IRONMAN 70.3 Syracuse has been discontinued.
Thank you for racing with us in Syracuse. We appreciate the efforts and support of the city, volunteers, sponsors, and everyone else involved in putting on this race. We would also like to thank all of the athletes who have raced with us here. We appreciate your dedication and understand your disappointment at not being able to race.

Please consider one of the following IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 events:
IRONMAN 70.3 Lake Placid
IRONMAN 70.3 Eagleman
IRONMAN Maryland
Last edited by: dtoce: Jul 9, 18 20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That link isn't live anymore... Maybe it was put up in error? I wouldn't be surprised though, to see another "difficult" course, bite the dust :/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was just a tough time of year, the last 2 years the race took place on the sun...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:
it was just a tough time of year, the last 2 years the race took place on the sun...

Lol, as in 'summer time'? God forbid we have to race in the sun! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. I did it last year. Great early season tune-up for IMLP. A real reality check on the fitness.

I didn’t do it this season for a simple reason—it fell again on Father’s Day. Triathlon gives me enough opportunity to be an absentee parent. I don’t need to highlight that by skipping town on that day.

Timberman, Princeton, and now this. Replaced by a couple outsourced races (AC and Maine) and by an event on the busiest triathlon weekend of the year LP 70.3. IM really could use a pre IMLP race in the Northeast now.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the answer to the pre race is now Eagleman in early June.

With this race going away and Raleigh going away...race selection becomes easier.

Speaking of Maine...I wanted to do it and it sold out really quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was 90+ this year and last, im from buffalo, anything over 80 sucks

also on fathers day 2 years in a row oddly
Last edited by: Viper966: Jul 9, 18 20:37
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or, you know, you could race Rev3 Quassy. Or Tupper Lake. Or White Mountains (if they move back to June).

There's plenty of pre-IMLP options out there.

I also didn't know that a licensed event was now considered "outsourcing," considering that licensing is what brought us to the boom period in the first place.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grew up in CNY. Parents still live there so I travel up there 2x per year. Did the race twice and spectated it twice. Shame to see it go. One tough race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really not surprising though as participation has been lowering each year

Year......starters/finishers
2014......2316/1840
2015......2026/1598
2016......1660/1278
2017......1472/1080
2018......1250/928
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aw that is so disappointing. I did Syracuse this year and thought it was an excellent, well organized race. It was very hot, but it's a crap shoot with weather in the Northeast. I loved the swim and the challenging yet beautiful bike course. And the run course was hard but fair. The volunteers were amazing being in that hot sun all day. I am sad about this race going away. It was a good one and will be missed! And it was the perfect training race for Lake Placid and other late summer Ironmans.

As a finance/cost accountant person I wonder how many participants it takes to break even and be profitable for WTC. Each race has different overhead and variable costs (depending on the location/country), but I'd love to know more about this. (i'm a geek)

Does anyone know of other races that WTC might be setting up in the Northeast for the future? Any rumors of new races? :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are still in Buffalo...have you considered doing Barrleman (in Niagara Falls)? It's in Sept.. You should check it out, fantastic race. Cheaper race for the US $ to boot! Though the fee goes up on the 15th this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That calculus is impacted by whether or not the race is wholly owned and operated by WTC, or whether they've entered into a licensing agreement with a race production company (see, e.g., Atlantic City 70.3 and DelMoSports, or Maine 70.3 with d/b/a Rev3).

The consensus is around 1500 registrants.

As shown by the declining numbers...can anybody take a wild guess as to where those participants went? Hint: it's another WTC event cannibalizing participation...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Aw that is so disappointing. I did Syracuse this year and thought it was an excellent, well organized race. It was very hot, but it's a crap shoot with weather in the Northeast. I loved the swim and the challenging yet beautiful bike course. And the run course was hard but fair. The volunteers were amazing being in that hot sun all day. I am sad about this race going away. It was a good one and will be missed! And it was the perfect training race for Lake Placid and other late summer Ironmans.

As a finance/cost accountant person I wonder how many participants it takes to break even and be profitable for WTC. Each race has different overhead and variable costs (depending on the location/country), but I'd love to know more about this. (i'm a geek)

Does anyone know of other races that WTC might be setting up in the Northeast for the future? Any rumors of new races? :-)[/quote]

I think the obvious choice and the "perfect training race" for Lake Placid would be Lake Placid 70.3 in this June spot in 2019.

I know when this was discussed in another Syracuse 703 thread and the weather in Lake Placid is always a concern, but I would rather do the 70.3 in Lake Placid in mid-June, then in early September as it is now scheduled.
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Jul 10, 18 6:18
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes having LP 70.3 before the full IM would be great! In 2016 I did both the MT 70.3 and then the full IM in August. Doing the 70.3 first allowed me to preview the course for the full IM. If I ever sign up for IMLP again, I wouldn't do the LP 70.3 in September. It wouldn't make sense for me.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt they'd ever put LP 70.3 before the full in July. There's too much going on in Lake Placid during the summer, they'd be cannibalizing other business.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Plus it cuts into the already insanely busy training camp / rental season. The September date just extends stuff out.

Tremblant 70.3 serves both the LP and Tremblant full warm up criteria. Rev3 Quassy/Tupper Lake already exist if you want to stay further south. I just don't see the additional market need to move to June.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey WTC:

Bring back Timberman as an early season race! The lake would be cold, but whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For people coming north to Lake Placid there is a market need.

Raleigh was good for people in the GA, NC, VA area...its gone now.

Syracuse was good for people in Canada, NY, PA, OH...etc.

The option now is Eagleman...which could be a good thing. They were taking walk-ups on race day this year from what I could tell.

I will almost certainly be doing Eagleman if the body is feeling good. I have Ironman Santa Rosa the previous month.

For me it would go something like this:

Ironman Santa Rosa 5/11/19
Eagleman ~6/9/19
Philly Escape ~6/23/19
Ironman Lake Placid ~ 7/21/19
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 Discontinued [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga's right there...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point. Though the drive around/through the great smokey mountains does add up...especially if you are coastal. Some would argue that Chatt is too far out from LP to be a warmup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
That calculus is impacted by whether or not the race is wholly owned and operated by WTC, or whether they've entered into a licensing agreement with a race production company (see, e.g., Atlantic City 70.3 and DelMoSports, or Maine 70.3 with d/b/a Rev3).

The consensus is around 1500 registrants.

As shown by the declining numbers...can anybody take a wild guess as to where those participants went? Hint: it's another WTC event cannibalizing participation...

Exactly. WTC is obviously seeking a much higher margin than a RD with a licensing agreement. I just got back from IM Norway which had a combined 1200 registered for the 70.3 and the full. There were only 525 finishers in the Ironman. If it were a corporate race it would be already be off the schedule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Exactly. Plus it cuts into the already insanely busy training camp / rental season. The September date just extends stuff out.

Tremblant 70.3 serves both the LP and Tremblant full warm up criteria. Rev3 Quassy/Tupper Lake already exist if you want to stay further south. I just don't see the additional market need to move to June.

But as we seen time and time again, WTC takes little interest in their competitor's schedule. They either try to buy the race up, or place their race very near (proximity and date) it to siphon of the participants and force the race to close. Tupper Lake got what? 300 people this year?

Also, as shown time and time again. People will trip over themselves to sign up for an official M-Dot race over anything else. So the only true/real completion for a June LP 70.3 would be the Tremblant 70.3

Last year the LP 70.3 sold out in less than a few weeks (if not sooner), this year it is still open. Is that due to saturation? or due to the calendar after last years weather delays, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First-year FOMO for last year. I think this year you're seeing a little softness in the late season with Maine/Atlantic City/Lake Placid pulling from the same region.

And I think you're seeing WTC taking a much more measured approach with regard to either renewing contracts or placing races on dates with the interest of killing some other event.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it is more about competing against the best competition that I can going forward. I have very limited experience, but it appears that the best show up to the biggest branded events. (Challenge, Ironman, Escape)

If you dont care about the level of competition at the race then anything you can find will do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next