Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TRIspud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIspud wrote:
cee gees

This.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Started a new thread on this, but probably should have put it in here. My bad.

Anyways, has anyone upgraded their gen 2 cockpit from the bontrager bulk horns and clip on to the fully integrated cockpit with the mono extension? My LBS quoted me $210 to do the work and that seems pretty high to me. I'm fairly techical, but new cables and such is getting just beyond my abilities.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Rossguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s high. $150 is fair though. It’s basically a rebuild minus bearing work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New cables are actually pretty easy. At least on a typical bike. With YouTube installing cables is a piece of cake.

That being said, I built up my SC and it was a PITA to cable the front. Not impossible, but a lot of frustration getting the cable housing through the bull horns and seated into the entire front end.

I did Di2 and am glad I didn’t have to cable the shifters on this bike.

I’m not sure if $250 is that high. I wouldn’t blink twice at $200 - especially after doing half the job myself and how finicky it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't split the housing at the stem it's even easier. Patience is key, and having the right tools....torque wrench, good cable cutters, etc is a must. And, like someone else said, make sure to use quality cable housing. It makes a big difference in shifting and braking.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2015 Gen 2 that I purchased after an airline cracked the frame of my Gen 1. Long story short I used components from my first bike on this one including the carbon handle bars. However after the first 6 months the front end has been a problem with movement and creaking. The headset bearing has been replaced twice by two different trek dealers. It didnt stop the creaking or movement. They both only managed to take off big chips of paintwork. It has been looked at numerous times now and everytime it is okay for a few rides before the creaking starts (on my first bike it was the front wheel not being tight enough but this is not the case and I have even bought a new front wheel). The movement is the real problem and is not so much a side to side issue but an up and down movement. You can see the section that joins the handlebars to just above where it connects to the headset move up and down. I have dropt it off again at the LBS, sent Trek Australia a query so I am getting desperate. I am hoping I can get some advice before I admit this bike is a lemon. i have always wondered whether the original handlebars should have gone on the Gen 2. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jenez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why not just switch to gen 2 bars?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not just switch to gen 2 bars?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have asked that question but both trek dealers insist that is not the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a picture of the bike/bars? You have a non integrated front end 7 series bike I assume.... correct?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently grabbed a 2018 SC and it's a hell of a bike. I'm looking for a BTA bottle solution, but the Bontrager SC cage is $100 and seems a little steep. Anyone have any recommendations? I want aero, easy install, and plays nice with an Edge.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sort of need the aluminum "bridge" that comes with the SC cage (which is really nice btw) to make any other system work unless you're running the plug-in extension.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the aluminum mount for the bottles on my SC. I have the plug in extensions but really like the mount.

I got it used off classifieds for ~$10. Then I use a gorilla cage for the bottle. It’s perfect set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bontrager solution does work well. I mount my garmin lower and between the bars with a K-edge mount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The XLABS torpedo system works pretty well. You do not technically need the bridge to get it to work, but depending on where you want it BTA you may need it. I mounted mine initially without, then wanted a little different position, and could only get that with the bridge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is now coming from the bottom or upright stem (not the stem that joins the handlebars). But the stem that goes into the headset/fork. We (LBS) think anyway as you can see movement in that section when you put weight onto the bars. Sorry I dont have technical names for it. I dont have a problem upgrading the handlebars but only if it is a guaranteed fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your steering axle bolt torqued to spec?

It’s the screw that holds the fork and frame together.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I know they have checked that. I asked the question As I had read another post where that was an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jenez wrote:
The problem is now coming from the bottom or upright stem (not the stem that joins the handlebars). But the stem that goes into the headset/fork. We (LBS) think anyway as you can see movement in that section when you put weight onto the bars. Sorry I dont have technical names for it. I dont have a problem upgrading the handlebars but only if it is a guaranteed fix.
I would think going back to the standard integrated front end would be a guaranteed fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since this is a large topic already, this probably has already been discussed somewhere.. So my stem came loose, When I pushed down on the basebars I could hear a creaking noise which at first looked like it came from my front wheel (some bearing issue or something with the spokes I thought). Then I noticed this:

https://imgur.com/a/YXw6x5a

2 months ago a bike mechanic I know and I swapped the stem from medium near to low and long, which came loose.. The bolts that go through the stem into the fork were a bit loose while they were torqued to spec during assembly..

I tried mounting everything again and retightening everything, but the stem is not flush with the fork.. There remains a 1mm gap.. Does it have to sit flush or is there always a slight gap?
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Jul 3, 18 23:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what could be wrong but thought I would at least answer to tell you that yours is clearly messed up.

Here's mine (low-far stem): https://www.dropbox.com/...%2020.40.38.jpg?dl=0

There's no gap in mine and everything is tight with no creaking etc. Ideally you should take it to a Trek dealer who can take it apart and make sure everything is put together correctly. You can also have a look at the exploded headset view on page 7 of the service manual: https://trek.scene7.com/...t_Service_Manual.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2018 SC came with a mid near stem...had about a 1-1.5mm gap. Just had it switched out to a mid far stem...still has gap. Trek dealer did all of the work. After reading about gap probs here, I inquired...gap is supposedly due to a spacer placed to protect paint on the fork.

So there’s that. I don’t know what more to say. Can’t seem to get closure on the gap saga.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to change subject. I am new to this Thread. I was wondering if anyone had any super-secret insight of Trek actually upgrading the SC model. From what I understand the 2018 is the same as the 2017 frame and it's not as great as the previous 9 series. I am dying to transition to Di2 (mainly for disassembly/travel reasons) but I definitely need a frame upgrade as well. Thx.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek was going to redo the SC, but in the end it was too big of an investment for too small of a return. It is one of if not the fastest bike out there. Find a used 7.5 and you are set.

The next version will prob be disc brakes and maybe some IsoSpeed. Just a guess
Quote Reply

Prev Next