Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 25 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 25 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week: do my hip/glute exercises from the PT every day (except possibly today, as I'm traveling - day in Boston!) as my hamstring is a little sore again, day off from running, swim a bunch, serious progress on schoolwork. Spending a couple days house/dog sitting for my aunt, and I am looking forward to that.

I did my hip exercises a couple times; I didn't take a day off from running but had two very short days; I swam 4 times; I did make serious progress on schoolwork :-)

last Monday I went to Boston for the day to see the marathon finish line and do some shopping. I had a blast.

I am proud of myself for the short run yesterday. My legs felt fine but I was just utterly exhausted, so I stopped far short of the hour-ish I had been planning. Then I took a 4 hr nap :-)

M: 6.5 mi run
T: 1.2 mi run + 1250 yd swim + 15 mi bike
W: 5.5 mi run
T: 8.2 mi run + 1000 yd swim
F: 6.5 mi run + 1650 yd swim
S: 5.5 mi run + 1500 yd swim
S: 2.3 mi run

totals 5400 yd swim, 15 mi bike, 35.7 mi run

this week, I'm planning to do a 10 mi race on Saturday. I have no designs on actually moving fast, but it's one of the oldest races in the state and I'm trying to join the "10 Tour" Club (it's called the Tour du Lac). I've done either 5 or 6 Tours - I can't locate the race results for 2006. I'm kind of wary of showing up to a race in which I have in fact run some fast times, and going slow... but I think it's more important to me to show up. And I like the race; I know I'll enjoy the day. (Basically I'm not looking forward to the possibility of getting beat by women that I usually outrun by a lot. That's the honest, gut feeling here).

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
::waves hello:: Can I play? I've been a long time lurker but I've somehow gotten the urge to come out and say hi.

Last week was pretty sweet, workout-wise. A bit of backstory- I was diagnosed with primary ovarian failure/premature menopause about a month ago (I'm 37), after having lost the will to live after IMLoo last October. Training for my spring marathon was a disaster and for all intents and purposes what should have been a BQ attempt turned into survival mode and enjoying the race with friends. I lost almost everything I gained from IM training, except apparently my stubbornness, lol. But things are moving in the right direction now that I'm on hormone replacement therapy- scale is heading back towards familiar comfortable territory, the brain fog has lifted, the hot flashes are dissipating, and I just want to kick this thing in the teeth and get on with my life.

I've been just tra-la-laing through workouts with no sense of push or urgency, just retraining myself and enjoying the process. Last week I graduated from this year's guppy challenge with a final average pace of 1:47/100 (down from 2+ when I started, uggggh), and I'm restarting it as a tarpon mostly to just increase my weekly yardage to a number I feel happy with. I've also started the BarryP run plan, and I'm back up to comfortably running in Z2 and Z3 (with this damn heat and humidity) for 20+ mpw. My bike is my freestyle thing right now, and I'm doing Zwift FTP builder workouts coupled with riding with my cycling club when I can. This weekend was a bust for that due to weather, boo.

M- 2200yd swim + 4.2mi run
Tu- 25.21mi on zwift + 1.96mi run brick
W- 2000yd swim + 4.23mi run
Th- 2500yd swim + 14.3 on zwift+ 2mi run brick
F- 6.02mi run
Sa- 33.7 mi on zwift + 2.05mi run brick
Su- did halfassed yoga at my favorite local brewery. pretty much there was yoga involved before beer consumption, lol.

Goal for this week: survive. I'm volunteering at the PGA tournament Thursday-Sunday as a hole marshal, which means lots of standing with bouts of sprinting to find player's balls, and arm raises to shush the crowds. I'm going to try to keep my workout schedule going as much as I can, knowing if I'm too tired to put in a session before being on course for 8 hours, that's perfectly okay.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 25 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome! Love your screen name!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An easy week which worked out fine since the pool was closed for a big junior swim meet from Thursday - Sunday and I had an appointment on Wednesday. I also had a friend and her husband visiting from Thursday evening to this morning.

Mon. Swim 2,250 SCY
Tue. - ended up goofing around and did nothing
Wed. Strength workout
Thur. Zwift 8 miles
Fri. Strength workout
Sat. day drinking
Sun. yoga

For the week:
Swim: 2,250 yds
Bike: 8 miles
Yoga/Wts: 2:49
Time: 4:20

My surgeried knee has been hurting so I went in Friday to see the surgeon. The first thing they always do is the standard post-knee replacement x-rays, then his PA came in and took a lot of notes. I told her when it hurt and where and she went out to talk to the doctor, then he came in and looked at it and showed me my x-rays. The x-rays were perfect - no sign at all of any wear on the hardware, so he was very happy about that. Regarding the knee pain, he wrote me a script for an anti-inflammatory and also for physical therapy. He didn’t really address the hip pain I've been having - I would have to go back to the hip doc for that. So I’ll try the anti-inflamm and PT and see if that helps.

Quote:
I was diagnosed with primary ovarian failure/premature menopause about a month ago

HRT is a god send! I had serious endometriosis and tumors and a resulting hysx and post-surgery HRT for a number of years. Glad you're feeling better.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 25 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Thank you! Also PhD and not MD, though I can probably diagnose your illness and tell you how to treat it without the ability to write you a Rx.

ironclm wrote:
HRT is a god send! I had serious endometriosis and tumors and a resulting hysx and post-surgery HRT for a number of years. Glad you're feeling better.
Thank you! It's been freaking night and day. I feel human again.
I'm glad your knee is looking good! Hopefully the anti-inflammatories and PT will help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting back into it... summer school is kicking my but, 18 weeks of schoolwork crammed into 12 days. Generating tests and printing out a ton of stuff due to the lack of access to a physical textbook, due to the fact the district is changing books next year, going to a more online text, and math textbooks never quite align between the different editions, even if the same publisher.

Last week swam 2x, no running, biked 1x--. not used to working 5 days a week during summer school, for the last 5 years we've had 4 day weeks. Played with nephews a lot, they just got out of school, and I watched them for most of the day on Sunday.

This week - no swim today (session ends tomorrow, too much grading to not have the 4 hours it takes to swim and travel to and from the pool), so swim Weds, maybe run (trail Tues, track Thurs), ride - Sat (try to get a bit more milage in, without being completely exhausted the next day)

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 25 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool, what sort of math?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Thank you! Also PhD and not MD, though I can probably diagnose your illness and tell you how to treat it without the ability to write you a Rx.

hmmm pharmacist? they're pharmD's though, I think. What's your phd in? I'm a mathematician specializing in undergrad teaching and learning.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 25 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clm, I hope your knee feels better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
cool, what sort of math?
Geometry...aka Gee I’m a Tree. Feels like I’ve killed quite a few trees with all the copies I’ve been making.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology. I specialize in infectious disease diagnosis and prevention. Your field sounds way cooler than mine at the moment though! I have a friend who is getting her PhD in just about the same exact thing at UConn right now. She's been passionate about mathematics and education for as long as I've known her.

Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Jun 26, 18 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
clm, I hope your knee feels better.

Thanks. Physical therapy evaluation today - tight and spasming psoas is likely causing all the problems. Plus, weak glutes. Lots of work ahead.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome Dr_Cupcake!
Dr TC - hope the 10 miler goes well
ironclm - good luck on the glute strengthening - it's a pain (sometimes literally) but I've found it very worthwhile after my knee injury.
Hope all the other women are doing well.

Does anyone know how to replace the top-tube cable guide on the new Cervelo P3? Mine fell out ages ago and I only just got a replacement which I want to install properly so that it doesn't fall out again!

This is a recovery week for me which I'm really glad about because I'm in need of an easier week. Last week went well despite a heat warning for most of it. I had a test on Saturday which I think went well and another test on Monday which I must have been subconsciously nervous about as I spent most of the morning feeling totally nauseated.

This week:
Monday: had workouts planned but skipped them due to being nauseated so moved things around.
Tuesday: run + swim (both done)
Wednesday: swim (done) + bike
Thursday: bike + run
Friday: swim + bike, run brick
Saturday: rest
Sunday: bike
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 25 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, friends! I had a decent week last week. I rode my trainer a few times, went for a few walk/runs, did some PT, and lifted weights. Adding a bit of time to the run part of my walk/runs is going OK. I am being super conservative and adding 30 seconds per interval every two weeks. I want to fly but man, am I out of shape! I am only getting the occasional twinge in my knee here and there, knock on wood.

I moved up a doctor's appointment and got a blood draw yesterday to see if I am overmedicated for my thyroid. It would be the first time in my life but maybe that explains the chest tightness and anxiety. If that's not it, maybe I try to see a pulmonologist or maybe it really just is anxiety. I live within 2 miles of Canada and they just legalized weed..... haha.

I'm hoping to sign up for a 5K in a few weeks to keep myself motivated, even if I do walk/run the whole thing. Other than that I am just trying to enjoy my summer as much as possible. We are getting a heat wave starting Friday so I don't know that I will be up for doing anything outside. We'll see!

Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Then I took a 4 hr nap :-)
this week, I'm planning to do a 10 mi race on Saturday.
A four-hour nap!!! That sounds like heaven!!!!!! Hopefully your race Saturday is just as enjoyable.

Dr_Cupcake wrote:
::waves hello:: Can I play? I've been a long time lurker but I've somehow gotten the urge to come out and say hi.
Welcome, Dr_Cupcake! Hole marshalling actually sounds fun. Do you get starstruck by the famous players, or have you seen it all by now? ;)

ironclm wrote:
Sat. day drinking
My surgeried knee has been hurting so I went in Friday to see the surgeon.
Spending a day drinking sounds amazing, haha. Sorry to hear your knee has been bothering you. I wonder if it is all related to your hip pain or vice versa.

SDCali wrote:
Getting back into it... summer school is kicking my but, 18 weeks of schoolwork crammed into 12 days.
Yikes, I am impressed you are managing any workouts at all!

Scheherazade wrote:
This is a recovery week for me which I'm really glad about because I'm in need of an easier week.
Happy week recovering and doing well on your tests!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply