Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TriBike Transport
Quote | Reply
I have been a frequent customer of Tribike Transport for many years but is it me or does it seem like their prices have gone up quite a bit the last couple of years? Besides the convenience the lower price than airline fees were also a contributing factor but now starting to think it may not be worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We tried to get them to add our downtown Philly shop as a drop off point since the closest spot they had available was about an hour away in the suburbs. They came back with a response that indicated that they had no idea how far their "partner" shop actually was. You would think a business like theirs would be all about convenience for the customers, but their response indicated that they weren't that concerned...not saying that this is directly correlated to a rise in prices, but it certainly does speak to a lack of volume potential could be related.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBike was excellent to me for a couple of years, and then I think they just got too big for their britches. The last time I used them was for Nats last year and not only did the price go way up, but they told me with three weeks to go that they were no longer servicing my LBS and I had to drive an hour away to drop off the bike (no choice of canceling my reservation/requesting a refund either). After Nats, my bike came back a week late and the seat/post were jacked up, and carbon frame was scratched. Never again.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never used them, but would want to use them for IM Lou in October. Anything to dissuade me from giving them my money and bike?
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [handsomeloser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
handsomeloser wrote:
I've never used them, but would want to use them for IM Lou in October. Anything to dissuade me from giving them my money and bike?

I'll let you know in a few days ;-)

Literally just dropped off my bike and gear an hour ago for 70.3 CdA. So far, the process has been pretty seamless (reservation, drop-off). Prices seem a bit high but I'd still gladly pay what they're charging to not have to pack and fly with my bike and race gear and wheel bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used them 5 times including Two week’s ago to Hawaii 70.3.
Great service, no problems for me!
Probably not the cheapest, but I have bike with a tricky front end and I really don’t want to mess with it.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How Long did it take your back to get back to you? My wife used them for the same race, I dropped the bike off to them that afternoon, and her bike didn’t get back to our Seattle- area bike shop until 13 days later.
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9 days to LA

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [handsomeloser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up to transport my wife’s bike from Texas to Age Group Nationals in Cleveland. I’m going to wrap the frame with pipe insulation as a precaution. I also heard a few folks caution against giving them a gear bag as they tend to get misdirected easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used them for the first time for Alcatraz this year. I have no complaints. I sent a gear bag out with my bike. Including wetsuit, shoes, and helmet. But I didn't actually send it back with them. Kept the wetsuit for more swimming and figured I'd just pack my shoes and carry on the helmet.

Dropped the bike of on the 24th of May for a June 3rd race. It arrived back in the Philly area on Monday the 11th. So basically 8 days both ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear I have used them multiple times with no complaints at all, they do offer a great service but at what point do they price themselves out? Just seems like they are getting more and more expensive each year, locally they bought out a competitor so no competition really and just have to wonder if the price increase is a trend that will continue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
Just to be clear I have used them multiple times with no complaints at all, they do offer a great service but at what point do they price themselves out? Just seems like they are getting more and more expensive each year, locally they bought out a competitor so no competition really and just have to wonder if the price increase is a trend that will continue.

I do agree with that. At some point, it isn't worth the downtime of not having the bike for the week+ pre and post race
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s why the mathematical bike equation is n+1. Duh. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
That’s why the mathematical bike equation is n+1. Duh. :-)

Exactly why I keep my old road bike. Wife keeps asking when I'm going to sell it, but when you use TBT you need a bike for the 2 weeks you are without the race bike.

Anyways... I have used them 2 times and no issues. Keep in mind inflation and gas prices keep going up, and life doesn't get cheaper as time goes on. Staff. Labor. Equipment. The cost of doing business... all of it gets factored in. I'd rather throw my eggs in the transport basket than airline and TSA basket. At least TBT won't try and bust your frame apart looking for whatever as I have seen in way too many posts of other triathletes and their horror stories while flying with their bike.

I did fly my bike to Boulder 70.3 in 2011 and didn't have an issue. But, it was a pain in the rear to break the bike down, pack it, reassemble, break down again after the race and reassemble back home. Not to mention wheeling that thing through the airport and getting in the rental car. Pick up at race site. Pedals on. Ride, race, pedals off, hand off, pick up at home town bike shop.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used TriBike Transport 8 times and flown with my bike 6 times. At this point in time, if I have the option I'll use TriBike Transport. I find it easier, though the drive to their partner bike shop isn't bad for me. I did Boulder on June 10 and my bike was back to Atlanta and ready for pickup on June 16. I wasn't planning on riding until June 18 anyway, so the timing worked out fine. I did, though, have to ship my race bike before my last training ride so had to use an old bike for that last ride. If I had flown with my bike I probably still would have needed to use an old bike for my last training ride as I likely would've packed up my race bike the weekend before the race since I don't have much time on weekdays. The drive to the partner shop is easier for me then packing up the bike, and that combined with the peace of mind I get from TriBike Transport's insurance (versus putting in a claim for loss/damage with an airline) make it worthwhile to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
I have been a frequent customer of Tribike Transport for many years but is it me or does it seem like their prices have gone up quite a bit the last couple of years? Besides the convenience the lower price than airline fees were also a contributing factor but now starting to think it may not be worth it.

Hi, to answer your question, we did increase our shipping rates slightly this year. The increase was distance-based, from $0 for less than 1,000 miles (partner shop to event site), up to $30 for more than 3,000 miles. We estimate that the resulting net average increase will be $8.89/reservation or 2.7% from 2017. Our last prior increase was in 2016.

We are keenly aware that cost is an important consideration for many of our customers. However, we have seen significant increases in our overhead (insurance, etc.) and operating costs (diesel is up 35% since June '16). We did our best to keep the increase as small as possible, so that we would remain as competitive as we can with alternative shipping options (airlines, bulk shippers, etc.). I hope this explains the change.

Marc Lauzon, President
TriBike Transport
http://www.tribiketransport.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [Marc L] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeooowch. Tribike Transport costs $540 from Houston to/from Santa Rosa 70.3? Since when did the prices explode? I understand the logistics of this race are a little more complicated but ...Jeezuz. These kind of prices just makes me angry to the point where I just will refuse to pay - especially after my issues with TBT last year. Sort of like refusing to pay for cable because of the price gouging. Yeah I cut the cable 2 years ago and never been happier. I'll fly with my bike thank you. You can keep your $25 discount. Just wow.
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is outrageously expensive for the service. They are going to price themselves out of business. That is up about $200 from the first time I used them several years ago. I get that costs go up, but that much?

The most expensive airlines will charge you $300 round trip. Fly 2-3 times a year and buying a case pays for itself.

Quote | Reply
I think what really bothers me about them is the complete lack of communication of where your bike/bag is. In today's age of shipment/gps tracking. We should know when our very expensive bikes are picked up out of transition, scheduled to be returned and where they are in the process. It's not rocket science. Put a flipping bar code on those stem stickers and scan it. Have a website/app that allows you to track it. Then you avoid hundreds of angry phone calls - of which the local bike shops also endure and can't stand.

Every single time I have used them, I become upset when they can't tell me where my bike is after we pass the 5 day mark. At what point do you contact the police/insurance on a stolen bike and feel foolish saying I have no idea what day it was stolen because the company would never tell me where it was. It also doesn't help that they didn't drop off my bag in Oceanside one time last year until past midnight the day of the race. This started a chain reaction of problems. To make it up TBT made good by sending my stuff to Santa Rosa 70.3 for free. They treated me very well on the front end. When I got my stuff back, no communication for 6+ days. Then my stuff was placed in two separate bags for some reason and not linked/connected together. The bike shop gave me one bag. Luckily I noticed it was light, opened it up and realized my wetsuit + other stuff was missing. I walked around the bike shop myself and located the other bag. Still no communication, complete discard for organization and having their sh*t together.

I bought a Tririg Omni last year for the main purpose that it was easy to break down (3 screws) and rebuild myself. I took it to Santa Cruz 70.3 last year. Zero issues flying with it. No down time without the bike. Awesome bike btw. I also purchased a bike-specific GPS device that I can use to know where my bike is (i.e. did it make it off the plane?, Is it still in transition?). I am flying with it to Greece 70.3 in a month. I would still use TBT for places like Santa Rosa 70.3 because of the logistics of the two different transitions and the bike dropoff location. But definitely not at a $300+ difference. And you guys are correct, I used TBT in IM Arizona in 2012 - they were barely $300. Big difference. I can't justify $500+ for something I can do myself and not lose the bike for over 2 weeks with an unknown return delivery.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Mar 11, 19 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack the thread, but what bike-specific GPS device are you using? I just came back from overseas with my bike and, of course, the bike never made it home to my final destination. After spending an hour tracking down an airline representative at the airport, we learned that our flight was overweight so my bike and other piece of luggage was coming on a later flight. Having the information about my bike's location would have made that whole interaction so much easier and less stressful.
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think they just got too big for their britches."
-----
This is NOT accurate at all! They run an expensive business . . . really pretty incredible and don't make a whole lot doing it (yes, I have personally seen every line of their finances). What they had to do is evolve in their configuration in order to survive, and to continue to bring this wonderful service to athletes.

I was on the verge of discontinuing my Ironman/triathlon passion due to three rather young kids, wife, and many responsibilities . . . the "ball and chain" of traveling with a bike was about my breaking point until I heard about TBT. I signed up for IMCdA in 2009 (I think) and gave them a try - it was literally life changing. I've done about a dozen IMs since then and ALWAYS use TBT. They saved my hobby, my marriage, and my kids . . . well, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but really made things easier. I will continue to use them. On top of that they are great people who really care. I'll ask Marc or Taylor to chime in - they are great.

Lastly, see my disclaimer below.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how the prices are set, but I'm going los angeles to Mt Tremblant this summer, essentially almost as far as you can go in the N Am continent, for $360. Generally use TBT rather than a case as we combine vacation with a race if we can, and do not want to be lugging a bike box from place to place. There are probably other options, but historically TBT has worked really well. The fee is worth it to me, and I also used a free transport (buy 6 or something the next is free) last year so all in all probably close to a wash.

Not associated with them at all, but have used them probably 10 times over the years. Did have one incident where they sent my gear bag to Florida 70.3 rather than New Orleans 70.3, got it the day before the race. Yeah, there was a bit of stress and I typically don't send a bag out anymore (as frankly it's not a bid deal to pack it).

Just my experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [Rdracer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rdracer99 wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but what bike-specific GPS device are you using? I just came back from overseas with my bike and, of course, the bike never made it home to my final destination. After spending an hour tracking down an airline representative at the airport, we learned that our flight was overweight so my bike and other piece of luggage was coming on a later flight. Having the information about my bike's location would have made that whole interaction so much easier and less stressful.

I bought a Sherlock Invisible GPS anti-theft device. https://www.sherlock.bike/en/
I totally understand your pain and I don't get why the bike industry doesn't have this down better.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Mar 14, 19 10:55
Quote Reply
Re: TriBike Transport [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In regards to vacationing with your bike, most airports have a luggage storage sections that you can rent for fairly cheap. For instance, LAX will let you store large specialty items to include your bike for $15/day. In Athens, Greece, you can store it within their international airport 14 Euros/day ($15.22). For more than 10 days, Athens will give you special pricing of 59 euros ($67) + 4.5 Euros ($5.10) for additional days. This is how people handle racecations. There is no TBT option for most international travel and shipping it costs a fortune.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Mar 14, 19 11:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
In regards to vacationing with your bike, most airports have a luggage storage sections that you can rent for fairly cheap. For instance, LAX will let you store large specialty items to include your bike for $15/day. In Athens, Greece, you can store it within their international airport 14 Euros/day ($15.22). For more than 10 days, Athens will give you special pricing of 59 euros ($67) + 4.5 Euros ($5.10) for additional days. This is how people handle racecations. There is no TBT option for most international travel and shipping it costs a fortune.

Many airports do not offer this post 9/11 and it simply does not work for our itineraries. For example, last trip was flying into Boston, leaving from Newark. Next trip is flying into Ottawa and out of Montreal.

Sorry, "this is how people handle racecations" is a ridiculous thing to say. May also handle it with TBT. For some reason that bothers you [/shrug] You have a hard on for TBT, I get it. Me, I'm fine with them.

Also, let's say I come from Montreal and fly into and out of LAX (even though I live here, just for example). TBT is charging me $360 to go LAX to Montreal so assume it's the same for reverse. two week vacation. Now I spend airline fees (let's say $300) plus 10 days of storage. So now I've spent $450 instead of $360 (not including an amortized box, I travel once per year typically to race so it has to be added) No idea how that is supposed to make any sense.

And I don't really have to say that I don't use TBT for races it doesn't service. Non sequitur
Last edited by: ChrisM: Mar 14, 19 13:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next