Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman 70.3 Syracuse
Quote | Reply
Does this race usually sell out? If so, when? I'm reading its super hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it sold out last year but could be wrong. I signed up about 4 weeks in advance this year.

It is pretty tough, about 3500 ft in climbing and about 1,000 on the run, but the hot temps were what complicated things. Around 90 degrees during the run and little to no shade, with at least a mile of running on grass.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's 🔥. Sounds like a nice early season suffer fest to get in conditioned for the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race doesn't sell out. I think the only year it came close to selling out was the year they bundled it with IMLP. There are only a few 70.3 races that sell out nowadays. Tons of races couple with a downturn in tri participation equals less populated races.

The swim course has been the same since year one (2010). The same bike course was used from 2010-2015. They changed the bike course in 2016 and made it a bit harder. The run course has gone through some changes. Year one was a point-to-point run from Jamesville to Syracuse. 2011 saw the course stay out in Jamesville. 2012 saw the course change into the super hard run course. The run course that was used from 2012-2016 was an absolute beast. 2017 the run course was changed for the easier, as they took out half of the hill. It's still not an easy run course but it's not as tough as it was.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Syracuse was my first 70.3 this year. I thought it was tough...but I had nothing to compare it to, though all the vets thought I was crazy taking it on as my first. Just did my second 70.3 in Atlantic City. I was an hour and 10 minutes faster. Granted, totally different courses - hilly vs. flat. I'll likely be back to Syracuse this year as a tune up for IMLP. Syracuse is a relatively small race - the setup, the number of participants, the setting, etc. If you're looking for a lot of pomp and circumstance, it's probably not the best race for that. The finish was anti-climatic for me. Since the race takes place in Jamesville, outside Syracuse, at a reservoir in a park, the only people that are there are racers and their families. It's just a little sleepy - feels more like a local race than an Ironman. The swim was uneventful - nice water, some waves kicked up by the wind, but nothing treacherous. The bike course was scenic, challenging, and windy. The run was hot and somewhat hilly. The run section in the field sucked all 4x you had to cross through it, but probably totaled just 2 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember to check your tire pressure in T1...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was tough...but I had nothing to compare it to, though all the vets thought I was crazy taking it on as my first.
---

I had a couple of veteran 70.3 triathletes do the 2017 rendition of Syracuse. In their words, it was the hardest 70.3 they had ever done. Part of the reason was the weather. We had the heat on 6 days before the race and race day was near 90. So, no opportunity to get used to the heat and humidity. The other issue was that the new and improved bike course added even more climbing at the end of an already difficult course. These guys were about 60 min and 45 min off of their PRs at Syracuse.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Syracuse and have done this race 5 times now through all the different configurations. It is a challenging course for sure but isn't that the point? The bike course has some hills but also plenty of flats in between. The new run course is much easier than the previous version. I am partial to the race because it is my hometown race but I would recommend it to anybody. It has been hot here in the past but we can't really control that. Temps in the high 80's or low 90's at that time of the year around here is very unusual. Tough but very doable with good training.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [joba08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How technical is the bike course?

Check my blog
http://myirondiary.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Remember to check your tire pressure in T1...

HA!

(I am slowly getting ST humor...slowly, slowly...)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [trivadim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is one sharp right hand turn at the bottom of a hill about a mile from T2. They put a speed limit on the descent to keep everybody under control but other than that it is pretty standard road riding. Police at every intersection controlling traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [joba08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Check my blog
http://myirondiary.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my husband did it in 2013, the beach was CLOSED to families. It was a 90+ degree day and my kids could not swim. There's nothing for them to do at the park. So, if you're bringing a family, keep that in mind. I don't know if they still close the beach, but it was painful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
Does this race usually sell out? If so, when? I'm reading its super hard.

Super hard is in the eye of the beholder. It does not usually sell out. I've done it, last year, in fact. There is a bunch of seaweed/muck in the beginning
of the swim. The bike begins with the new 5 mile hill, but if you pace yourself you can do well by hitting goal watts in the second half of the race. The
hardest part of the course is the run. Going fast, or not slowing a lot, in the heat is a big challenge. I always felt on the verge of passing out, even with adequate hydration. I was riiight at my personal limit and had a stellar race.

GL

My RR
http://beginnertriathlete.com/...-view.asp?tid=542116
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Syracuse tougher than Lake Placid? I'm a New Englander and am aiming to do one of those next year (70.3). They are both within driving distance for me. Just did Maine in late July, which was flat. Which would you recommend, esp if I'm bringing my family for a long weekend?

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone done Quassy also, curious how it compares. I have done Quassy and signed up for Syracuse and OOB this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Syracuse tougher than Lake Placid?
---

On the new course, the bike is tougher in Syracuse. The run course for Syracuse is probably easier but you are more likely going to get more heat, making it a more difficult day.

Which would you recommend, esp if I'm bringing my family for a long weekend?
---

Depends on what your family is in to. There isn't much special in Syracuse so you'd have to drive 1-2 hours to find attractions. Not far away are some of best Fingerlakes wineries, Corning Glass Museum (which is pretty cool), Watkin's Glen International Speedway, National Museum of Play (in Rochester). Niagara Falls is about 2 hours out. If you're in to hiking, mountain biking, etc. Placid seems like the winner there. The race venue for Syracuse is in a park which you cannot leave the entire day. The wife and kids will have to bring stuff to do on race day and you need to get there early/ leave late. For Placid, you have the entire town of LP for entertainment.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. This leans me towards Lake Placid. I'll keep an eye out for that, as I'm guessing the 70.3 probably sells out.

Mac CTD - I did Quassy Olympic, and it's the toughest Olympic I've ever done (Not that that's saying much:). Not sure how the Quassy half would compare to Syracuse or LP.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Oct 14, 17 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done the Quassy Oly and HIM multiple times, including the double twice, which will no longer be offered as both races are going to happen the same day this year. They used to call the double the 'Full Revolution'. The Oly is +1800 but feels worse after that long hill from mile 8-14 and another sharp one at 18-19 and 22-23. They all say 'ouch' you when you are trying to hammer at close to ~40K TT pace. The run was changed for the Quassy HIM and was much easier which is a bonus.

The Quassy HIM bike is +3800 and is nice prep for IMLP, which I've also done twice-2012 and 2016. (Got to enjoy the LAST of the mass swim start and I really like the rolling start much better for that venue). The half has a long 5 mile hill from 23 to 28. Then some rollers and the dreaded 'S' turn descent-be careful. Placid bike is +6900 so it is on par with doing a double loop of Quassy, but slightly easier. Each loop has a 15 mile steady incline at the end going up +1000 feet and includes 3 'bears'. It is spinnable if you bring enough gears and have your engine ready.

I've also done the Syracuse HIM in 2016. Hot race and I thought the long hill early was a bit easier but in fact I was not really able to hold my goal watts later in the race. Pacing early on in Syracuse is really critical.

As others have alluded to, Quassy is WAY more family friendly. My kids are older now (20/22) and last year I did the race with each of them, my younger son did the OLY and my older son the HIM. My wife stayed at the park and cheered us all on. She did not go to Syracuse as it would have been a LOOOOONG day.

I avoided long course this year and did long course S/R at Casco Bay for a new adventure. Good luck.

Quassy OLY-2016
http://beginnertriathlete.com/...-view.asp?tid=541772

Quassy HIM-2016
http://beginnertriathlete.com/...-view.asp?tid=541808

Syracuse HIM-2016
http://beginnertriathlete.com/...-view.asp?tid=542116

IMLP-2016
http://beginnertriathlete.com/...-view.asp?tid=542713
Last edited by: dtoce: Oct 14, 17 18:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like another hot Syracuse race. Also thunderstorm in the forecast for the afternoon. I hope,that holds and doesn’t start earlier. Driving up from NJ on Saturday and back home after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
Looks like another hot Syracuse race. Also thunderstorm in the forecast for the afternoon. I hope,that holds and doesn’t start earlier. Driving up from NJ on Saturday and back home after the race.

Good luck! I'll be there again. #1175. Come say 'hi' in transition.

Rolling swim start and easier run than when I did it in 2016, but still a challenging bike course and the heat will be there again..I think we'll dodge the rain (I really, really hope) but humidity and heat, not so avoidable.

Dale Toce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
RallySavage wrote:

Good luck! I'll be there again. #1175. Come say 'hi' in transition.

Rolling swim start and easier run than when I did it in 2016, but still a challenging bike course and the heat will be there again..I think we'll dodge the rain (I really, really hope) but humidity and heat, not so avoidable.

Dale Toce

#93 for me. Looks like we are in the same age group. Save me a beer at the finish!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 words:
Hot hot cramps

Congrats to all finishers today. That was the most challenging run I’ve done since IMLP 2016.

6+ minutes of massaging out cramps for me on the run. Starting 30 minutes late did not help us at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
3 words:
Hot hot cramps

Congrats to all finishers today. That was the most challenging run I’ve done since IMLP 2016.

6+ minutes of massaging out cramps for me on the run. Starting 30 minutes late did not help us at all.

Congrats to you also. I brought 2 right foot bike shoes into transition. Had to find my wife to have her run back to the car. 21 minutes in T1. What a rookie move. I was so pissed at myself! That run was brutal. The bike was ok. What happened at role downs? I'm curious. I said to myself that if I made the top ten I would stick around. Almost glad I didn't. I'm back in NJ eating dinner with my son for Father's Day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry to hear that! Issues like that obviously ruin the day. I’ve made some serious mistakes too...

The bike was as tough as I remembered but the easer run course should have helped me. I was not hear acclimated enough for my pace.

I didn’t wait for roll downs as I have no intention of going to South Africa.
Quote Reply

Prev Next