Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs
Quote | Reply
Very excited to be heading down to Roth in 2 weeks. I have started to look at the logistics of race day and given the size of the race things look quite complex. A few questions for any previous participant out there as my family will be coming to watch. I was just mostly about any suggestions regarding best places to spectate? In particular:

- All the areas around the canal look incredibly busy. What is the best spot to get a good view of the action without having to be there at like 5am to grab a front line seat?

- If they walk to Solar Berg after the swim, where is it best to stand? Before the climb starts or somewhere along the climb or maybe after? Again crowds look 6-deep from pictures I wonder if they will even be able to spot me

- Again best place to spectate along the marathon course?

I am disappointed there does not seem to be a tracking app allowing spectators to see where athletes are on the course, organizers replied to my question saying you can simply publish status updates on Facebook, which I doubt will be very frequent.

Many thanks - looking forward to a great day!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [ItaloBrit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so let me start by saying a) you as an athlete will not be disappointed to compete at Roth its an amazing experience b) I've raced but never competed, the logistics are quite complex even before race day, T1 is nowhere near T2 (or the finish) so even bike racking, briefing and registration require some thought.

Swim - the bridge is a good place to be, it does get a bit busy but depends are you really expecting people to pick you out on the swim or just take in the experience. Anywhere around the start area is good - bear in mind its a long leg down to the first turn, then an even longer leg back to the second turn and a short swim back to swim out. I would say just try and be somewhere near the start and take in the hype and the balloons etc

Bike - Solar hill is amazing as an experience for both athletes (confirmed) and spectators (so I'm told) although the crowds are big there you should have no problem getting to see people if you know about when they will be coming through. The crowd definitely thins out around the top and on leg 2 - unless you are super quick!

Run - with the once again changed course, the run will go through the middle of Roth 4 times, so you can get to T2 - then stay central and see the athletes multiple times and still get to the finish line
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are in for a treat. It will be my 8th time and I can't wait!!!

Early race morning there is literally a flotilla of people heading toward Solar . . . at 5 am or even earlier. My wife tried to navigate the course many years ago, but the crowds are just too big and it is too difficult to get "everywhere". So, my family gets up early, leaves before me, and heads to Solar . . . that is the greatest triathlon spot on Earth!!! My wife has spectated many, many IM races and rates the Solar experience above Hawaii Finish line, etc. The festivities at Solar are amazing and they stake out a prime spot right after the turn and at the base of the climb.

Then, they head to the landing hot spot by the canal where they see me 2 more times. After that, back into Roth and to the finish.

Swim - I'd say the bridge or the far side.

I'm dealing with some injuries so I plan on forgetting about speed and just enjoying the day. It is really special - enjoy it!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!

What is the parking like? I think my wife will drop me off early but I don’t start until 8 so she’ll probably go back to our apartment and sleep further/bring the boys later.

Will she have trouble parking in Hilpoltstein around 7:30 or so? I doubt she’ll get close to the swim start which is fine.

What about then driving and parking in Roth in the afternoon?

Also how easy is it to drive across the bike course? Is it impossible? Just slow? Are there overpasses or underpasses that are a good way to get through?

Lastly any places you’d recommend to eat in Hilpoltstein and Roth?

I am probably getting too worked up but my wife is not nearly as familiar with driving in Germany as I am and I want to make things as simple as possible for her and my boys.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And also I am injured too so it’ll be a slow day with lowered expectations, but good luck to you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parking in Hilpolstein will be hard/impossible. My family borrows mountain bikes and gets around by back roads. These are really small towns hosting a gigantic event. Driving anywhere unless you REALLY know the area will be difficult on race day.

Eating - I am spoiled!! I have done the same homestay from my first time in 1989 and every time I have done the race - 8 so far. The feed us and take care of us! Lots of small places to eat and all are very welcoming to triathletes.

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spectated in 2015 and raced in 2016. You can get a brochure at the village that lays out "your day" plans for spectators. Parking is not easy and I would recommend once your wife is at the swim start, she stays there. Traffic will be crazy and by the time she drops you off and gets back to where you're staying it will be time to turn around and go back. I'm just looking in my brochure from 2016 and it says that the parking field in Hilpoltstein is only accessible until 6:30am, and you can't exit it until after 11am. The parking in Heuberg is available for in and out all day I believe, but this is on the other side of the swim start from Hilpoltstein and would be a pain to get in and out of from Hilpoltstein (you have to access it via Allersberg so it would be quite an ordeal). Also have spare change handy as some of the parking fields have attendants charging 2 euros to park for the day. We arrived at the swim start at about 4am and traffic was thick even then.

In 2015 I went to the start with my husband and then got a spectating spot on the bridge. As I said, I was there at about 4am though. If you aren't starting until 8am and even got there by 6am or so your wife and kids should be able to get a spot to spectate. The music and hot air balloons and atmosphere is amazing. The cyclists will go right past on the bridge so you can watch the swim and then the start of the bike. After seeing my husband start the bike I followed the crowds to the base of Solar Hill. Even if you don't know where you're going, just follow the throngs and you will get there. Have a flag or something to wave. My husband was able to pick me out and wave as he went by. If not at the base of the hill I'd go to the top of the hill, after the huge crowds.

Once I saw him go by at Solar I walked back to my car (I parked in Heuberg) and programmed the GPS to take me to near the school center (Brentwoodstrasse). I got there no problem and I was freaked out to drive alone on race day in a foreign country. Was able to find a parking spot fairly easily and walked through the forest to the expo area. Hung out there and eventually walked to T2 and saw him at the start of the run. The run course has changed sine 2015 so I can't comment as to spectating for that. But I think now it goes through Roth more than once so spectating should be fun.

Race day is an experience, even for spectators. It's so much fun. Your family will walk ALOT though. I think I probably walked a half marathon easily when I spectated! (come to think of it I probably walked the equivalent of a half marathon the time I RACED it too lol!)

Enjoy it. Most amazing race ever. We are going back again in 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [glowstickgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my slot for 2019, so will keep this thread open for a while.

How far away do you stay? What's the longest feasible drive in the morning of the race?

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Early race morning there is literally a flotilla of people heading toward Solar . . . at 5 am or even earlier. My wife tried to navigate the course many years ago, but the crowds are just too big and it is too difficult to get "everywhere". So, my family gets up early, leaves before me, and heads to Solar . . .

You must have mixed up something. Most people head towards the swim start early morning and will walk to Solarer Berg (Solar Hill) after the pro's are on the bike course (~8am), at latest in time to see pro's fly up Solar Hill first time around 9am. It is a 2km walk from the swim start to Solar Hill with some possibilities to get a coffee.

Parking at the swim start is typically ok. Check out the official brochure that explains when/how/where you can leave which parking spot. But expect that you will not get easily from Hilpoltstein to Roth by car. Ideally, spectators get on a bike. I assume there are also shuttle buses from Hilpoltstein to Roth. Check out the official program.

Watching the race is easy on/under the bridge. It is crowded, but you find a spot to squeeze in. Same at Solar Hill. When the Pro's go by, it gets very crowded, but loosens when age groupers ride their way up (still, it is thrilling for anyone who goes up).

Runners go only twice through Roth city center this time, not four time. If not on a bike, go to the first corner shortly after T2. And later on towards city center or finish line arena.

Tracking works quite well. facebook updates work nicely (update every time you cross a timing matt) or the standard tracker even offers expected time at certain timing location if I am not wrong. No need to have any doubts about anything. It is just awesome! Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All said so far. Since Roth allows (if I remember correctly) to run with Earphones you can be tracked via the friends app on the iPhone but I would hate carry one during the race but that’s just me.
Enjoy!

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You must have mixed up something."
------------
No, not at all. My family heads straight to Solar, along with many thousands of others, when I head to the swim start. In the old days they tried to do both but have found it much more enjoyable to enjoy the festivities at Solar.

Sure, you can go to the swim start then walk to Solar. Parking can be had at the swim but you are fairly struck there for a good part of the race. Getting around by bike is certainly the easiest way if you want to spectate at multiple points.

What ever they do, they will certainly be back in Roth for the run/end of the race.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: my friends spotted me because of my watch and I guess special swimming style and were able to follow me the whole time on the other side of the canal. They walked along and when we passed the bridge they went up the bridge to cheer at the swim exit. Then back on the bridge for the first bike pass.

I told them to go to Solar hill but they didn't and stayed at the bridge. But if I was spectating I'd go to solar hill anyway. Gotta have that pro bike crowded feeling over there :)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone give me a clue about where they stay? As in the town? Or distance away?

I'm looking at a 30min drive on race morning - is that about right?

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably yes cause hotels near by are usually booked a year in advance.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this year?
best bet would be Nuremberg 45min drive
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next year. I've booked a place 25mins away, which seems about right. I assume the only places in Hipolstein are homestays?

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
I assume there are also shuttle buses from Hilpoltstein to Roth. Check out the official program.

According to the website The Shuttle Bus doesn't go from the Swim Start. It goes from Buchenbach to Roth and back. Buchenbach is to the North West of Roth. Whereas the Swim Start is to the South East in Hilpolstein. It's essentially a "park and ride" from the car park.

There IS a athlete transfer from Roth to Swim Start in the morning. But nothing for spectators at that hour! Which rules out parking in Roth and then using the shuttles

It's my first time at Roth this year.

My "rough" plan is to park near the Swim Start. My spectator will watch the start and T1, then walk the 2k to Solar Hill. Watch myself come through there at least once. Possibly if they feel up to it, try and catch other parts of the course in the immediate vicinity.

Then they will drive from the start area car park to a car park near the finish. Either Roth or Buchenbach (and then get the shuttle into Roth itself) If anyone is familiar with the area on race day. Are there road closures on race day. Or will it be relatively straightforward to drive?

Not sure how we're getting back to T1 to collect my wetsuit/goggles bag. Either it's a drive back to T1 after the race, or do they do a bag collection and bring them to T2?

Similarly if I drop my T1 bag somewhere on Saturday will they take it to the race start overnight?

Talk on the website of transport back to the swim start. But that doesn't say athletes/spectators or whether you can take a bike on the transport

Everyone talks about German efficiency, but their website is horrible to navigate! And the info is spread out al over the place.

Should be 1 "Race Guide" PDF to download that tells you everything, gives you maps, talks about spectators etc etc.

And another "Rules" PDF for everything else
Last edited by: Race1: Jun 16, 18 6:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What others had said. Roth is the the most amazing event, and what I miss most in terms of traveling to races. Bikes are the easiest method to get around and higher up on the Solarer Berg usually offers more space.

Have your family and friends stay in downtown Roth for the run and try as much food as possible.

There is more to be had than just Schnitzel. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are coming from hilpoltstein into Roth via eckertsmühlen and hofstetten by bike, so this road is closed for traffic. Just asked my wife...she parked the car on the opposite site and across from t, from there she drove directly to Roth and found parking space am Brühl (the street where the main entrance to the expo is). And she could even see me coming out of t2 (still don’t know how she made that)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, too will be "racing" this year. I've rented my husband a bike...can anyone give me info regarding best routes if he parks in Roth and bikes down to Solar Berg? I'm assuming most roads will be closed for the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
You are coming from hilpoltstein into Roth via eckertsmühlen and hofstetten by bike, so this road is closed for traffic. Just asked my wife...she parked the car on the opposite site and across from t, from there she drove directly to Roth and found parking space am Brühl (the street where the main entrance to the expo is). And she could even see me coming out of t2 (still don’t know how she made that)

Thanks for the information.

Further question if you don't mind

As you have done the race, did you need to go back to the swim start area to get your T1 bag? Or do they bring them all to the finish area for athletes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:

Thanks for the information.

Further question if you don't mind

As you have done the race, did you need to go back to the swim start area to get your T1 bag? Or do they bring them all to the finish area for athletes?

Ah, forgot to answer that....don’t worry. When you changed into your wetsuit you give away the first bag, after the swim you just pack and hand the other bag....these two you’ll receive at t2 when you pick up your bike.
Works easy,don’t worry.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:

Ah, forgot to answer that....don’t worry. When you changed into your wetsuit you give away the first bag, after the swim you just pack and hand the other bag....these two you’ll receive at t2 when you pick up your bike.
Works easy,don’t worry.

Thanks again!

I hoped it would be something like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I did last year

1. Got up uber-early -- Crazy early -- in my Nuremburg Motel.
  2. Drove my rental to Hipoltstein. Literally to here:
  3. See that grassy area on the left? That's a parking lot on race day. We parked there. It was still dark out when we got there.
  4. Did the race. It starts in the canal about 1000 meters north of the point I linked to in step 2
  5. Afterwards, we walked a short walk to pick up my bike and wait for the shuttle. It was a bit of a wait but I wasn't going anywhere. The bus let us off near the start at the bus stop you see just north of the canal
  6. Walked back to my car and drove off.

Probably not the best plan but it worked. But we had to get there Early with a capital "E"
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Here's what I did last year

1. Got up uber-early -- Crazy early -- in my Nuremburg Motel.
  2. Drove my rental to Hipoltstein. Literally to here:
  3. See that grassy area on the left? That's a parking lot on race day. We parked there. It was still dark out when we got there.
  4. Did the race. It starts in the canal about 1000 meters north of the point I linked to in step 2
  5. Afterwards, we walked a short walk to pick up my bike and wait for the shuttle. It was a bit of a wait but I wasn't going anywhere. The bus let us off near the start at the bus stop you see just north of the canal
  6. Walked back to my car and drove off.

Probably not the best plan but it worked. But we had to get there Early with a capital "E"

I plan to get to Roth around 4am or so. (check the bike) Then Hilpolstein hopefully around 5-530.

Thanks for the great info. It all helps with formulating a plan

Some questions if you don't mind.

You didn't check your bike in the morning? You just went to the Swim Start? (my mild OCD wouldn't allow that!!!)
Did your companion(s) travel to the finish area whilst you were racing?
Quote Reply

Prev Next