Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon verses aluminum handlebars
Quote | Reply
I went from a Tarmac to a Roubaix. Roubaix seems more comfortable, but my hands are getting a butt numb and I’m thinking it’s from road buzz when I hit cracks in the road. Tarmac has carbon bars and Roubaix has aluminum bars.

Think it’s the bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon verses aluminum handlebars [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could be, or could be your position on the bike, or the angle of the hoods, or the type of bar tape, or the shape of the bar, or.....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it the newer Roubaix with the FutureShock in the headtube?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick some gel bar pads on there and see if it helps. If not, it ain't the bars. If it does, be thankful for a $15 fix rather than a $150 one.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon verses aluminum handlebars [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used both materials over the years on several different bars and I can't tell the difference on "road buzz" due to material alone. I agree this is more likely due to position.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon verses aluminum handlebars [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2016, the model prior to future shock on head tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon verses aluminum handlebars [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have gel under the bar tape too.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon verses aluminum handlebars [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
I used both materials over the years on several different bars and I can't tell the difference on "road buzz" due to material alone. I agree this is more likely due to position.

If it’s position, what helps fix it? Spacer under the stem to raise up the bars? Longer or shorter stem? Fore/aft on seat?

I think I have seat post height good. After a few rides and some minor adjustments the seat height feel right on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your saddle is likely too far forward, meaning you are supporting the weight of your torso with your hands.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon verses aluminum handlebars [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think it’s the bars.

To prove it to yourself, drop your tire pressure by 10psi. It will take out a lot of the buzz (more so than switching from most aluminum bars to CF). If your hands still go numb, it’s not the bars. If they don’t go numb, it might be the bars (but I don’t think it is)
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon verses aluminum handlebars [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
your saddle is likely too far forward, meaning you are supporting the weight of your torso with your hands.

Is moving the seat back the same as moving the cars closer to you with a shorter stem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
similar, but not the same
Saddle position is about your core, pelvic orientation etc
Not reaching so far forward helps not over extend your core, but is slightly separate from how you should be sitting on the saddle
Quote Reply