Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Team Sky recon TDF while other teams are playing patty cakes
Quote | Reply
WTF! It seems Team Sky's key players are recon-ing climbs and I don't see many other teams doing the same? Then everyone bitches when they smash the competition πŸ˜‚.
Quote Reply
Re: Team Sky recon TDF while other teams are playing patty cakes [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard on the Dauphine broadcast they recon'd some climbs by accident = took a wrong turn and ended up going on climbs that weren't in the Dauphine profile, but will show up in July

"Hey! While we're here ..."

Or something like that

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Team Sky recon TDF while other teams are playing patty cakes [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
WTF! It seems Team Sky's key players are recon-ing climbs and I don't see many other teams doing the same? Then everyone bitches when they smash the competition πŸ˜‚.

Funny the 'everyone who does really well in sport are doping' brigade have missed this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Team Sky recon TDF while other teams are playing patty cakes [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
thatzone wrote:

Funny the 'everyone who does really well in sport are doping' brigade have missed this thread.

That's because the entire thread is based on a false premise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of riders preparing for the Tour via the Tour de Suisse too so they are probably occupied this week. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be silly.

Other GC teams have done some of their TDF Recons as early as January

For example Nibali Reconed parts of the TDF in April and says he'll be back in July.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vincenzo-nibali-2018-tour-de-france-cobbles-more-dangerous-than-recent-years/

Romain Bardet:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bardet-hits-paris-roubaix-cobbles-in-tour-de-france-recon/

Movistar:
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/nairo-quintana-mikel-landa-alejandro-valverde-recon-cobbles-ahead-2018-tour-de-france-376223

Teams typically recon stages that are near races. not everyone has the budget to fly their TDF team out ( to what is essentially a training camp)

Quote Reply
Re: Team Sky recon TDF while other teams are playing patty cakes [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I heard on the Dauphine broadcast they recon'd some climbs by accident = took a wrong turn and ended up going on climbs that weren't in the Dauphine profile, but will show up in July

"Hey! While we're here ..."

Or something like that

Rod doesn’t make mistakes when it comes to stuff like that, its his bread & butter.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let me rephrase that... team sky go for scenic cycle touring rides while other teams are honing their racing form at dauphine/suisse

the reality is neither is true, all teams are doing more or less the same but with timing or specifics varied according to their individual circumstances. eg froome raced giro so is not racing now and has time to check out some climbs. others have already done their recon or will be in the next weeks. bardet for example was on alpe de huez the other day at the same time as froome.
Quote Reply
Re: Team Sky recon TDF while other teams are playing patty cakes [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the same line of BS Lance and Bruynel used to spin. No one else does it like us. We're The only ones doing recon rides
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

Yeah, it's like the other teams are all sitting on the beach drinking beer while Sky has figured out this top secret thing called training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what your source is but Froome and Bardet were on Alpe D'Huez at the same time! That must mean that Bardet gets second place?

http://www.velonews.com/2018/06/news/bardet-froome-take-early-peek-at-alpe-dhuez_469466

(Also: I'm not sure that reconning Alpe D'Huez is a competitive advantage. Maybe if you're looking to bring Bernal and he's never done it, but they climb that thing every other year. Sometimes twice!)
Last edited by: timbasile: Jun 14, 18 17:22
Quote Reply
Re: Team Sky recon TDF while other teams are playing patty cakes [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

(Also: I'm not sure that reconning Alpe D'Huez is a competitive advantage. Maybe if you're looking to bring Bernal and he's never done it, but they climb that thing every other year. Sometimes twice!)

I agree that the OP is a bit silly to insinuate that other teams are not doing recon work, or have not done it, or are being lazy in general.

However, I do think at least for team Sky, that more recon work is necessary if they plan to do the whole Sky Train thing. Each man has to know the layout of the final or deciding climb of each mountain stage, not just Froome. And even when each rider on Sky knows the layout of the deciding climb, they each need a general idea of where each man is expected to go to the front, how hard they are expected to go, and how long he is supposed to last before handing it over to the next guy, and the next guy, then to Froome.

If you're Bardet, you don't have as many teammates expected to be there (if any) on some of these deciding climbs, so the planning becomes quite a bit easier. Just follow the Sky train until about maybe this point, then decide if you want to attack or follow an attack.
Quote Reply
Re: Team Sky recon TDF while other teams are playing patty cakes [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps they should recon more in Belgium in February.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

That's because Froome raced the Giro with his key players and probably won't race until the Tour. I am sure those getting ready for the Tour by racing now (basically all the other favourites) did recons during the Giro.
Quote Reply