Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test?
Quote | Reply
Hey all, I'm in the market for a new aero tri suit, and while the 2017 thread had some useful info, I figured I'd make a new thread to ask about 2018 suits. I'm a very tall and fairly big guy (6'7", in the 207-210 range, 205 peak racing season), so some suits just won't work. I'm not severely budget constrained, but price is always a consideration (ie I'd have to think hard about a $400 tri suit). I'm not going to be able to get wind tunnel time to test suits, so if there is a suit that provides reliable savings for wider swath of people (vs. great savings for certain morphologies and minimal savings for the rest of us), that would be huge help to know.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever fits and has the colors you like. Pockets on the back are nice.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Whatever fits and has the colors you like. Pockets on the back are nice.

I'll second that. And my suggestion, if it fits, is the Castelli Free Sanremo Short Sleeve Tri Suit. Just wore it at Eagleman this weekend and it was awesome! Never had to think about it, barely felt like it was there. Great pockets on the back that could hold a lot if you want and two hip pockets for a gel.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of going one-piece too. I always wore two-piece, because of sanitary stops. In the 11 years I do triathlon now I however had to go for #2 only once, so I can take that risk.

But I would not agree with this:
BryanD wrote:
Pockets on the back are nice.
since in a non-wetsuit race pockets can be nasty brakes in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a swimskin

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Buy a swimskin

I have a swimskin, but I thought a good aerosuit will also be good to swim. So you do not have the hassle of two suits over each other.
On the other hand why not. Taking of a swimskin costs maximum 5 seconds.
But are two suits over each other not slower or less comfortable to swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
having tested more suits on more people than I care to remember just get a suit that fits very well through the shoulders when you are in the aero position and is comfy. Personally I'm partial to Kiwami, my business partner is partial to Cuore of Switzerland. We've each coached athletes that did better in some other brand(s) and some that those brands worked the best for.

Compared to 2 piece kit you're pretty much looking at a minimal 5w savings no matter what you choose. The difference between that and The Suit could be 8-10-12 more watts, but unless you test.....

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this advice apply to the swim as well as the bike, or are all suits intended to be used in conjunction with a swim skin? This is a dilemma I always run through my head as I don't know if there is much information out there as to the correct application for each suit, but this is a completely new way of thinking for me as before I just grabbed a any old sleeveless singlet and tri shorts and thought I was good to go for each discipline.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
having tested more suits on more people than I care to remember just get a suit that fits very well through the shoulders when you are in the aero position and is comfy. Personally I'm partial to Kiwami, my business partner is partial to Cuore of Switzerland. We've each coached athletes that did better in some other brand(s) and some that those brands worked the best for.

Compared to 2 piece kit you're pretty much looking at a minimal 5w savings no matter what you choose. The difference between that and The Suit could be 8-10-12 more watts, but unless you test.....
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how are we all avoiding the question everyone wants to know right now....how many strokes does it take you to get across a 25 yd pool? 3? haha you are one big triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a swim skin with mine in 2016, either a Kiwami Amphibian or a desoto ITU compliant suit as my swim skin . (didn't race in 2017). Everything I've done so far this year has been wetsuit legal. I may get a Kiwami Aquarush since I've tested one.

The sleeves on most of these suits are pretty flexible. I know the body of the Kiwami suit is water repellent.

This is a good question though as I am unsure what I will do, get a swim skin or just swim in my Spider LD Aero.

Hmmm food for thought for sure

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
And my suggestion, if it fits, is the Castelli Free Sanremo Short Sleeve Tri Suit.

THIS. I have found nothing more comfortable or flexible in the sleeves, save the Castelli All Out that I wore this weekend. I can't speak to it in the water since they cancelled the swim, but man was it comfy and I love the longer sleeves. I have measurable aero results, only the fact that I had my fastest bike split ever by roughly 1mph, while trying to hold back - but maybe that had more to do with a cancelled swim replaced by a 3/4 mile run - who knows?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I used a swim skin with mine in 2016, either a Kiwami Amphibian or a desoto ITU compliant suit as my swim skin . (didn't race in 2017). Everything I've done so far this year has been wetsuit legal. I may get a Kiwami Aquarush since I've tested one.

The sleeves on most of these suits are pretty flexible. I know the body of the Kiwami suit is water repellent.

This is a good question though as I am unsure what I will do, get a swim skin or just swim in my Spider LD Aero.

Hmmm food for thought for sure

Nice article on the Aquarush test. I felt the same impressions even with the trisuit instead of the drag suit. It helped me to a first out of the water AG swim this past year at 1/2 IM Nat'ls so I'm a believer. Your credibility on this forum adds a LOT to the discussion.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be very surprised if there is anything faster than the endura QDC drag2zero.

It fits like a top end cycling skin suit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Brian

in all your testing have you seen any trend of suits made for cycling TT being any faster than the fastest trisuits? i only have a trisuit but it looks like they had to build more room and flexibility into it around the shoulders than would be needed for just cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

I also did tests with the Aquarush, and there is a clear difference of 15 seconds on 400m compared with a speedo:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...(Kiwami)_P6211756-2/ ; see post #45.

The question remains, if there is a sleeved aerosuit which has in the water about the same effect as the Aquarush.

Anyway, at the moment I tend to buy a Castelli All Out Speed Suit (based on the Stealth shirt which I use now) and put my Aquarush over it in non-wetsuit races.
The All Out Speed Suit comes in nice colours (also important).
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at Castellis site but did not get any smarter:

Does anyone know the difference between the ALL OUT and the SAN REMO?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go back and look at the pictures.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
desert dude wrote:

I also did tests with the Aquarush, and there is a clear difference of 15 seconds on 400m compared with a speedo:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...(Kiwami)_P6211756-2/ ; see post #45.

The question remains, if there is a sleeved aerosuit which has in the water about the same effect as the Aquarush.

Anyway, at the moment I tend to buy a Castelli All Out Speed Suit (based on the Stealth shirt which I use now) and put my Aquarush over it in non-wetsuit races.
The All Out Speed Suit comes in nice colours (also important).

Interested in this as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Go back and look at the pictures.

They look indeed different, but wonder what the difference is apart from the looks.
The free san remo is 30g lighter, but that is hardly an argument.
The free san remo is cheaper, that's an argument.
I wonder though why you would pay more for the ALL OUT.

Maybe I just should order both and take the one with the best fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[Compared to 2 piece kit you're pretty much looking at a minimal 5w savings no matter what you choose. The difference between that and The Suit could be 8-10-12 more watts, but unless you test.....[/quote]
I'm wondering what would be the savings of a high-end one-piece short-sleeve suit vs bare chested.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the All Out is essentially the Free bottom sown to the Stealth 2 top. The Free Sanremo is the same concept, but with a regular Free top. In my experience, the All Out is supremely comfortable and certainly passes the eyeball-aero test. I have no idea why someone would pick a different Castelli sleeved suit over the All Out.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about going with the sponsor of Jan Frodeno; Ryzon?

They appear to be doing somethings right if you take his results into account.

Personally like their style as well.
https://www.ryzon.net/...riathlon+performance

Blog | Instagram | Strava
Last edited by: mlagerwerf: Jul 30, 18 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the Pain. I mean, they really make you Love the Pain of waiting...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero tri suit - best option if unable to aero test? [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]I'm wondering what would be the savings of a high-end one-piece short-sleeve suit vs bare chested. [/quote]

At least>5w. My guess is in the 8-14w range. Skin is slow. More coverage most likely = going faster.

For me there are also other factors. I've had skin cancer. The coverage that sleeves provides/ or even sleeveless for that matter, while racing is important to me. I'm a BIG fan of sunscreen but don't trust it to stay on from final application to end of the race. (I usually apply 2x before the race starts, once before leaving and once in transition)

I'd rather have more coverage in case there is a crash. Road rash is no bueno. Ask me how I know ;-)

Hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply