Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal...
Quote | Reply
This is a complete steal at only $270. Saw the sale announcement in my email inbox and had to share. One can easily build up a <20lb gravel bike based on this frameset. Large tire clearance AND a standard road (i.e. 53/39) crankset fits:

https://www.performancebike.com/...j-jari-11-18-31-8748

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 12, 18 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shhh. Need to get home to run some numbers to figure out which frame size I should get and I don't want them to runout. At this price you could build something now and then move to a super gravel frame in a few years with no regrets.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Shhh. Need to get home to run some numbers to figure out which frame size I should get and I don't want them to runout. At this price you could build something now and then move to a super gravel frame in a few years with no regrets.

Based on my experience with the 2017 Jari 1.1 frameset over the last year+, it would need to be a SUPER-DUPER frame to make it worth it to switch from it...I'm starting to think aluminum may just be the ideal material for on/off road rigid frames ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you, that is very tempting.. I can resist everything except temptation..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • 5 water bottle mounts

------

Damn

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
AND a standard road (i.e. 53/39) crankset fits:

Blasphemy. 1x or go home.

I've put about 400mi on my "new to me" Crockett and it lives in the 36T inner. I'm going to convert it to a 1x on a 40T and call it a day.

FWIW, 5 bottle mounts is a bit much. But racks are cool. Everyone knows once you're in the off-road world that if you need more than two, you just go Camelbak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how long this deal is good for, but if you're a Team Performance member they also have triple points starting on Friday 6/15, through 6/24.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What sort of tire clearance? Have you tried any “road plus” tires?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

• 5 water bottle mounts

------

Damn

Yeah, I guess because they're spaced the same, the top tube Bento mount counts...or, maybe it's the 3 on the main triangle (the low forward one is a bit tight with a big tire though) and the additional 2 mounts on the fork (1 on each leg) they added on the 2018 fork (my 2017 doesn't have those)?

Anyways...yeah...tons of mounts, including rack and fender eyelets...not to mention that the rear dropouts have swappable inserts for either 142mm spacing 12mm thru axle or 135mm spaced QR. It's downright "fully equipped" in the mounts, that's for sure.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 12, 18 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
AND a standard road (i.e. 53/39) crankset fits:

Blasphemy. 1x or go home.

I've put about 400mi on my "new to me" Crockett and it lives in the 36T inner. I'm going to convert it to a 1x on a 40T and call it a day.

FWIW, 5 bottle mounts is a bit much. But racks are cool. Everyone knows once you're in the off-road world that if you need more than two, you just go Camelbak.

Sure...but just because they are "water bottle mounts", it doesn't mean you have to attach only water bottle cages to them ;-) More mounts is more mounts!

I only mentioned the ability to fit that chainset because most frames won't accommodate anything much beyond a compact crankset. It was important to me because I had a cool, red anodized Quarq CinQo prototype I wanted to run on it. 53-39 works great when you're also running a Sunrace 11-42 cassette. I like having ALL the gears :-)

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
What sort of tire clearance? Have you tried any “road plus” tires?

I've only used 700C wheels in mine, and the max tire I can fit in there without rubbing the chainstays is something that measures ~42-43mm wide when mounted. The fork can fit significantly larger...probably 700x45-46c easily.

The indents on the chainstays for tire clearance are obviously centered for a wide 650B tire (the 700C tire's max width ends up where the clearance starts narrowing towards the BB). There's plenty of room in there for a 650Bx47, and I think it's rated to fit up to 2.0" in that diameter, which is more like 50mm wide.

So...the max tire sizes they list in that product description are fairly accurate
Quote:
  • Max tire size: 700 x 42c / 650B x 2.0

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool! Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom, What wheelset are you running to keep weight under 20 and hold up, not to mention some width?

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Hey Tom, What wheelset are you running to keep weight under 20 and hold up, not to mention some width?

Cheers!

Zipp Course 30 shod with Compass Snoqualmie Pass was what was on there when I when I weighed it.

I also have a set of American Classic 101 wheels which are a few grams lighter than the Course 30s, despite having 32 spokes per wheel (in comparison to the Zipp's 24 spokes). Right now the AM 101s are set up with Challenge Gravel Grinder Race 42s.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

why would you need to wait to get home to run the numbers? it's got stack and reach on the size chart, so, you should be able to determine it now.

that said, i hate that bike's geometry. way too tall for the length in every size. it's gran fondo or "endurance" goemetry, on steroids. and, why the high bb? it's got the bb drop of a cross bike and the height of old-style women's geometry.

but it is a nice deal.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I didn't have my stack and reach memorized?

But you right, it has the geometry of a penny farthing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Because I didn't have my stack and reach memorized?

But you right, it has the geometry of a penny farthing.

what are you riding now? if you know your current set up (frame model and size, stem length and pitch, etc.) it's easy to create the spatial relationship of your current bike and then calc the front end of this bike you'd need. the tools are all here on slowtwitch. for readers, no charge.

i'm not trying to bust your chops. rather, it could be a teaching moment. this is the F.I.S.T. system, and the basis of all other dynamic fit systems, when those fitters are properly trained. but they aren't properly trained. so, you need to know what they don't, so you can make a proper buying decision. happy to help with this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
torrey wrote:

why would you need to wait to get home to run the numbers? it's got stack and reach on the size chart, so, you should be able to determine it now.

that said, i hate that bike's geometry. way too tall for the length in every size. it's gran fondo or "endurance" goemetry, on steroids. and, why the high bb? it's got the bb drop of a cross bike and the height of old-style women's geometry.

but it is a nice deal.

The geometry works just fine for me...just use a low rise stem and everything is great. Besides, I prefer having the drops a bit higher on an "all road" rig than on my road bike, because I'll be in the drops when I'm descending and such off-road, and that allows for better control in that situation. You want to be set up more like a MTB than a road bike for those situations IMHO.

BB drop is only 3mm higher than my road bike...and, I have to say, where I ride it sometimes, I sort of wish it was a bit higher (for obstacle clearance). Also, in a 56, the stack is only 6mm taller than my custom Stinner, and the reach is only 7mm shorter, both of which are easy to compensate for, if necessary.

Sometimes I think folks tend to set up their road bikes a bit too low anyway...mostly because a LOT of modern drop bars don't have enough "drop". I don't know, this setup doesn't look overly short/tall, does it?

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 13, 18 8:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My current road bike is a 2003 Felt F85 size 54, which I measured as a stack of ~520 and a reach of ~390. Stock stem, not sure what length and pitch. But I did see your recent article on measuring to bar clamp instead of traditional stack and reach.

But for a gravel bike I would want something rotated back a bit. When I descend on dirt on the current bike I am to far forward. I guess the other solution is a dropper so I don't have to sit straight up when I am on tarmac.

Interested in where the industry will converge for all-road bike geometry. Specialized's redid the Diverge and appear to end up with the same stack to reach ratio but with a much lower bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
My current road bike is a 2003 Felt F85 size 54, which I measured as a stack of ~520 and a reach of ~390. Stock stem, not sure what length and pitch. But I did see your recent article on measuring to bar clamp instead of traditional stack and reach.

But for a gravel bike I would want something rotated back a bit. When I descend on dirt on the current bike I am to far forward. I guess the other solution is a dropper so I don't have to sit straight up when I am on tarmac.

Interested in where the industry will converge for all-road bike geometry. Specialized's redid the Diverge and appear to end up with the same stack to reach ratio but with a much lower bottom bracket.

in my opinion, the industry has converged. gravel geometry is road geometry, as regards fit. but we'll see. just, if this isn't it, then we're telling ourselves a fairy story when we say gravel bikes can be ridden as road bikes or gravel bikes with a wheel and/or tire change.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

in my opinion, the industry has converged. gravel geometry is road geometry, as regards fit. but we'll see. just, if this isn't it, then we're telling ourselves a fairy story when we say gravel bikes can be ridden as road bikes or gravel bikes with a wheel and/or tire change.

Depends on what you mean by "road bike". If you mean road racing bike...then yes, fantasy. If your "gravel bike" has modern road racing geometry and setup, then it's going to be less than ideal in the more "difficult" off-road conditions. That said, I probably tend to treat mine as a bit of a "fully rigid XC MTB" more than most ;-) Then again, I also have my road setup with the bar tops a bit higher than most, and rely on deep drops in my bars to get the most aero road position...so, my positional setups between the 2 probably aren't as great as others may have.

"Gravel" or "Adventure Bike" geometry and setup IMO should be more of a cross between old-school grand tour racing bike and a 80s/90s XC MTB...rather than a pure modern road geometry/setup. But, maybe that's just me...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 13, 18 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

My road and CX/gravel fit are almost identical which surprised me.
The one big difference is 44cm vs 38cm bars.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Gravel frameset on sale - Fuji Jari 1.1 at Performance - total steal... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i think this is what we're going to find. i had a guy shoot CX nats for me, and looking at those positions, i don't see really any difference in positions. for gravel, the guys who're racing gravel on their road bikes (i.e., BWR) are doing just that: racing it on their road bikes. i'd be shocked of road racers who raced dirty kanza are racing positions any different from their road positions.

now, if you say wait, they criterium race on a different position, fine. that i'd buy. but, for example, is a classic on cobbles raced in a different position than, say, a stage race? if not, what's different, functionally, position-wise, between paris roubaix and dirty kanza?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Jens had aerobars on his bike, so there's that little difference from PR.

Otherwise agree about geometry and position. Last year my gravel frame was too tall, and went by the -1 reach / + 1 stack rule of thumb on fit. It was never comfortable so I swapped to Open in the fall, set up identical to my road race bike (which isn't extreme compared to some but more on racey side). This position is so much more familiar and comfortable that I see no reason to change, and that includes riding it like a hard tail mtb. I know Ted's DK and road bikes are set up nearly identical too.

The whole gravel category is not well defined by industry yet, IMO. Bikes like the 3T, Open, Alfa AR are more than capable of a road race one day and gravel race/ride the next. But others with geometry like the Jari, what with tall head tube and BB, limits how it will ride on road. Clearly the right frame will do both and if someone wants one bike for everything they'll need to consider design. But if you're a big company like Canyon or C'dale or Specialized it's hard to see the motivation to push a 'quiver killer' message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i think this is what we're going to find. i had a guy shoot CX nats for me, and looking at those positions, i don't see really any difference in positions. for gravel, the guys who're racing gravel on their road bikes (i.e., BWR) are doing just that: racing it on their road bikes. i'd be shocked of road racers who raced dirty kanza are racing positions any different from their road positions.

now, if you say wait, they criterium race on a different position, fine. that i'd buy. but, for example, is a classic on cobbles raced in a different position than, say, a stage race? if not, what's different, functionally, position-wise, between paris roubaix and dirty kanza?

I don't know...I didn't get all "CSI" on it and overlay, but looking at Ted King's TdF "cobbles" setup (which was most likely identical to his pure road setup for that race) vs. his DK200 rig side-by-side, it sure looks like his gravel position has higher bars and a shorter reach:

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 13, 18 9:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next