Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Pease brothers are going to Kona!
Quote | Reply
You guys may have seen the Pease brothers on the cover of Lava a few years ago:
http://lavamagazine.com/...n-ironman-wisconsin/

The gist of it is that Brent (able-bodied) and Kyle (cerebral palsy) have been racing IMs, marathons, etc. together for years and they run a foundation (http://www.kylepeasefoundation.org) that helps disable kids participate in sporting events.

At Raleigh 70.3 a couple weekends ago, they were awarded a 2018 Kona slot, which has been their dream for years.

I was talking with my bike mechanic last week (the same guy who does all the work on their rigs) and he mentioned that they're going to have to raise a lot of money just to make the trip to Kona (themselves plus support crew). They also have to re-engineer their bike to make it lighter/faster (it weighs 75 lbs. now), and ship all of their equipment to Kona. If anybody's interested in making a donation their foundation's Kona-specific fund, you can do so here:

https://kyle-pease-foundation-inc.networkforgood.com/...s/53997-kpeasey2kona

If you have a few minutes, check out the video on that page...pretty inspirational stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: The Pease brothers are going to Kona! [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was talking with my bike mechanic last week

Curtis?

I've been following the brothers through his shop FB page for a few years.

There are two others that come out to the brewery to ride. The disabled brother or son (not sure) also uses the same shop for special a needs bike. I have watched the father (I think) do all the prep work to get the bikes ready before they roll out. It is a lot of effort and I admire him for the amount of time he spends getting things ready and then transferring from the wheel chair to a recumbent. It is amazing and puts me in a spot where I question myself and my normally selfish being.

I will be cheering for them in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pease brothers are going to Kona! [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Quote:

Curtis?

Yup, I love that dude!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STJ_2028 wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:
Quote:

Curtis?

Yup, I love that dude!

He is a great guy, mechanic and fitter. I wish I was still able to get to his shop during work lunch break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sound like a very determined bunch, in the Dick and Ricky Hoyt mold. But do they really need $500k to get to Kona?? Seems like a bit of overkill, and to me it is a turn off to be asking for so much money for what amounts to a vacation..
Quote Reply
Re: The Pease brothers are going to Kona! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea 500k ???
i understand it might be 4 people traveling,should be able to it for 60k
they have a foundation set up for racing etc..........
Quote Reply
Re: The Pease brothers are going to Kona! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I had the same reaction initially and I wish they would have just capped it at what the actual projected budget is. However, I'm confident that if they raise more than they need for the Kona trip, the excess dollars will spill over into the foundation's general fund which does a lot of great things for kids so, in the end, I'm OK with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could not be happier for these two. If you see them in Kona, stop and say hi. Their positive energy is infectious. I'm sure any money over what they need will go toward the foundation so other athletes they support can do things like this (it has since been changed to $250K). It's a great charity that has done big things for inclusion in Atlanta and beyond. Finally a "gofundme" I can get behind.

The weight of both brothers, the bike and their gear is close to 400 pounds. Imagine hauling that up to Hawi in a crosswind.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pease brothers are going to Kona! [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure - quite a feat to haul/push all that gear for 140.6. I saw them out on course at IMFL a few years ago, on the bike and the run, and it was just a really cool thing to see happening!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's really cool that WTC are giving Pease a chance.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply