Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cervelo P2 vs BMC TM02
Quote | Reply
After several years of racing on a road bike with aero bars, and finally finishing grad school, I'm looking to purchase my first tri bike. I've done a bunch of lurking and reading on this forum and I understand that fit is everything and the better bike will be the one that fits best. That being said, if both bikes fit well which would be the better way to go?

Both bikes are considered entry-level and the same price with full or mixed 105 components, exposed front brakes, and wheels/other parts that will probably need to be replaced down the line. Cervelo has a proven history of excellent aerodynamics and probably a bit easier to work on. BMC has rear storage but difficult to wrench due to the rear brake, which can also make wheel and brake pad swaps difficult. Both owner's threads are filled with happy owners as well.

Is there anything else I'm missing that separates the two other than the Cervelo's ease of wrenching (and better aerodynamics) and the BMC's rear storage? Would the aerodynamic advantage change by adding some type of aftermarket storage to the Cervelo vs the integrated BMC storage? I tried searching but no results seem to compare the redesigned BMCs that have rear storage.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 vs BMC TM02 [ballisticpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which one is cheapest?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 vs BMC TM02 [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's just use MSRP and say $2,800 for either bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tmo2 is the better buy for sure. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't more aerodynamic than the p2 in the first place, and after factoring in storage, even more so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ballisticpb wrote:
I've done a bunch of lurking and reading on this forum and I understand that fit is everything and the better bike will be the one that fits best.

Like a lot of bogus statements that are often repeated... ;)

Fit is important, but there is a huge range of adjustment if you get a bike that is highly adjustable. Which bikes are you actually comparing? Links?

EDIT: I was wondering because when I looked up TM02 on the BMC site it had Ultegra and was more expensive. So:

https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/12543
https://www.cervelo.com/...riathlon/p-series/p2

I wouldn't necessarily say the P2 is more aero. The P2 has a more expensive pad/extension clamp, but unfortunately it limits adjustability. The BMC has the bar with independent pad clamps which is a plus IMO. I like the M-long of the BMC if you are 6' or so. It's long-low for modern tri bike, and you can get a riser kit for the bars if you want more height.
Last edited by: rruff: Jun 12, 18 17:59
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 vs BMC TM02 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
EDIT: I was wondering because when I looked up TM02 on the BMC site it had Ultegra and was more expensive. So:

I wouldn't necessarily say the P2 is more aero. The P2 has a more expensive pad/extension clamp, but unfortunately it limits adjustability. The BMC has the bar with independent pad clamps which is a plus IMO. I like the M-long of the BMC if you are 6' or so. It's long-low for modern tri bike, and you can get a riser kit for the bars if you want more height.

Sounds like you looked up the TM02 Two which is outfitted with Ultegra and sells for $3,900; similar to a P3 with mechanical Ultegra for $4000. The TM02 Three has 105 components and retails for $2800: https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/...imemachine-02-three/

Cockpit/basebar is something I assume I would end up upgrading down the line. I guess I was wrong to assume the P2 was more aero from the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ballisticpb wrote:
Cockpit/basebar is something I assume I would end up upgrading down the line.

If you want to optimize your position it will be an evolving process. So much better if you have a setup that is conducive to experimentation... whether you do it on your own or at ERO or a wind tunnel.

The basebar could be improved. I looked at these recently and the Pro alloy basebar looks like a good design and price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had an opportunity to ride them both? I've had a fit customers ride both and report back that they ride very differently. If you can get an opportunity to ride them, that might be worth it.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 vs BMC TM02 [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
I've had a fit customers ride both and report back that they ride very differently.

Details? Did you have coordinates set up exactly the same on both? Tires pumped to the same pressure? Saddles are very different, how did you account for that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming that he's at least partially referring to handling. the BMC has a slacker head angle than the P2, and weight distribution will be different...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 vs BMC TM02 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BMC does have a slacker head angle, which probably translates to better high speed stability. But weight distribution would be basically the same if the sizes are similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The BMC does have a slacker head angle, which probably translates to better high speed stability. But weight distribution would be basically the same if the sizes are similar.

if.

BMC's sizing run is different from cervelo,

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rear centers are only 3mm apart, so if you are comparing 2 frames with similar front-center then weight distribution will be the same.

Weight distribution differences generally have a trivial effect on anything anyway.
Last edited by: rruff: Jun 13, 18 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Travis R wrote:
I've had a fit customers ride both and report back that they ride very differently.

Details? Did you have coordinates set up exactly the same on both? Tires pumped to the same pressure? Saddles are very different, how did you account for that?

I didn't really intend to get too detailed with my post, as to not sway the OP's perception of either bike regarding any specific characteristic. The reason for my post was simply to suggest to the OP that a test ride might make a difference in their choice. As a fitter, I often get asked about stuff like "would you prefer X over Y" and that's a really difficult question to answer because a) I haven't ridden every bike out there, and b) what feels good to me might not feel good to someone else.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Rear centers are only 3mm apart, so if you are comparing 2 frames with similar front-center then weight distribution will be the same.

of course they will be. my point is that they don't have the same front centres through the size run.

rruff wrote:
Weight distribution differences generally have a trivial effect on anything anyway.

Disagree. It's fresh in my mind, cuz I just switched from a 51cm P2SL to a 54cm P2K (identical position on both), and the 54 is much more stable. Didn't matter too much on straight/flat roads, but once some corners or descents enter the picture, it's a massive difference.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
The reason for my post was simply to suggest to the OP that a test ride might make a difference in their choice.

But unless you are comparing two bikes that are set up with the same fit coordinates, same saddle, same tires, same pressure, then you *can't* tell if "they ride very differently". The only chance of being able to do an honest comparison is if you go to a dealer that sells both and they take the time to set the bikes up identically. It would certainly be nice, but how often does that happen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Travis R wrote:
The reason for my post was simply to suggest to the OP that a test ride might make a difference in their choice.

But unless you are comparing two bikes that are set up with the same fit coordinates, same saddle, same tires, same pressure, then you *can't* tell if "they ride very differently". The only chance of being able to do an honest comparison is if you go to a dealer that sells both and they take the time to set the bikes up identically. It would certainly be nice, but how often does that happen?

this I do agree with. I've bought all my bikes on "spec" (except my full squish mountain bike, since I wanted to see how the suspension reacted to pedaling). Once I have it set up for my position on the bike, they all feel pretty much the same other than handling.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
once some corners or descents enter the picture, it's a massive difference.

Massive in what sense?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
once some corners or descents enter the picture, it's a massive difference.

Massive in what sense?

at high speeds it was squirrelly as hell, and in hard cornering I could feel the front tyre getting overwhelmed. the 54 feels as good as my road bike.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The basebar could be improved. I looked at these recently and the Pro alloy basebar looks like a good design and price.

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll have to look into it more. Any thoughts or opinions on Tririg? I know they usually get a lot of love around here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Have you had an opportunity to ride them both? I've had a fit customers ride both and report back that they ride very differently. If you can get an opportunity to ride them, that might be worth it.

If I get the opportunity I definitely will, but I haven’t yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Disagree. It's fresh in my mind, cuz I just switched from a 51cm P2SL to a 54cm P2K (identical position on both), and the 54 is much more stable. Didn't matter too much on straight/flat roads, but once some corners or descents enter the picture, it's a massive difference.

That’s good to know. I currently ride a 54cm road bike but I feel like I was never fit properly when I got it. When I throw on the clip-on aero bars for races I know the position is horrible and I just try to make the best of it. I assumed a smaller frame would be the answer, but maybe just a properly fitted 54cm might be better. Need to get a proper fit before moving forward anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
at high speeds it was squirrelly as hell, and in hard cornering I could feel the front tyre getting overwhelmed. the 54 feels as good as my road bike.

I suspect there was something else going on (loose headset, wheels?), or at least I've never experienced that with small frames and long stems. Speeds over 50mph on a regular basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ballisticpb wrote:
Any thoughts or opinions on Tririg? I know they usually get a lot of love around here.

Very different price category! The new one is very adjustable and is as aero as anything, so really no downside if it proves to be durable.

When you get fit, make sure you don't get locked into a position that you may want to modify later. That's why I think adjustability is super important for someone starting. You'd want to have the option at least of going long and low, even if that doesn't feel best at the beginning. So err on the long and low side for the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope. same wheels I have now, and I know how to adjust a headset. Parts are all exactly the same other than stem, since I just moved everything from one frame to the other.

prior to the 51 p2sl I rode a 51cm Cannondale r700 (650c) and then an undersized Klein set up as a TT / tri bike. they handled similarly to the p2sl.

at the time, I was also riding in a more rearward position, so it wasn't a big deal, but I was younger, thinner and more flexible with a healthier back. Last year I adjusted my position to move farther forward and slightly higher in the front, and that's when the differences became apparent.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next