Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Vector 3 - Updates
Quote | Reply
Hey all!

I figured I would share some of the updates with my Garmin Vector 3 pedals that I own. I for starters have had mine since the beginning of December and never really had any issues with them - I however have read all the issues other users were having and was always worried about the accuracy or if they were going to give me grief.

Garmin IMO released a product that was not 100% ready for in field usage but has since released software update 3.50 that fixed a lot of software issues and also solved legacy head unit issues. They have also released battery doors after discovering that a lot of the software/battery and other issues were being derived from the door issue.

I do own a lot of Garmin products, so yes I am well vested in the company but not supported by them - I think that they have handled this issue very well (my current employment deals heavily with on-site manufacturing) and although the situation is negative I always received great customer service and decently quick responses from Garmin.

It is easy to talk about something when you are upset than when you are happy and Garmin being one of the largest manufactures in recreational sports more than likely has the most units out to be criticized.

Anyways - I wanted to share some photos of the new doors that I received yesterday, so far they L/R balance is perfect and power seems to be spot on. I have not gotten any outdoor or long rides on them yet but everything about the redesigned door is better (including how it locks/screws onto the pedal body).

Old Battery Door -

New Battery Door -

Garmin Drawing -

Last edited by: teddygram: Jun 12, 18 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 - Updates [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The customer service was always great for me! My problem was the inferior product. With that being said i still support Garmin and have ordered a new head unit even though i sent back the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to see the new door doesn’t rely on electrical tape anymore.

My replacement battery doors won’t be shipping for another 2 weeks. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post and thank you for the info!

Huge props for Garmin for the new battery doors :-)

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 - Updates [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
Glad to see the new door doesn’t rely on electrical tape anymore.

My replacement battery doors won’t be shipping for another 2 weeks. :(

atleast you got the email requesting verification of your address... I'm still waiting for that. :( x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a fancy e-mail from Garmin today with a special discount code to "buy" my new Vector 3 battery doors. Each door is normally $30 each (which is insane), but with the code, the $60 purchase was free. It says I'll get them in about 3 to 4 weeks.

In the e-mail was also info on two other major issues they are having with Vector 3's. One is a loose spindle bolt, which you can fix yourself by taking the whole pedal apart, and the second issue is a separated pedal body and this error requires calling Garmin for servicing.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 - Updates [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
I got a fancy e-mail from Garmin today with a special discount code to "buy" my new Vector 3 battery doors. Each door is normally $30 each (which is insane), but with the code, the $60 purchase was free. It says I'll get them in about 3 to 4 weeks.

In the e-mail was also info on two other major issues they are having with Vector 3's. One is a loose spindle bolt, which you can fix yourself by taking the whole pedal apart, and the second issue is a separated pedal body and this error requires calling Garmin for servicing.

I received this same email this morning and was not aware of the loose spindle issue - I wonder if that is for the really early models as I did not experience this issue. I didn't see anything about the pedal body separating (unless they are referring to after the spindle becomes loose and then it separates).

I am going to tear mine apart tonight to verify if the hub/shaft is loose.

For anyone looking to review the service advisory you can do so here;

https://www8.garmin.com/...3_advisory_en_us.pdf

Garmin is being flat out upfront about everything on their emails and forum posts.
Last edited by: teddygram: Jun 12, 18 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 - Updates [chanthony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chanthony wrote:
Great post and thank you for the info!

Huge props for Garmin for the new battery doors :-)

What? ‘Huge’ props to Garmin for making useable a dodgy substandard product that has caused hundreds if not thousands of people frustration and anxiety? Really? Man peoples expectations must be set so low these days.

How about giving props to the other manufacturers that actually quality control and test their products before releasing rubbish to the market..
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 - Updates [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not one company is perfect. They found a problem and provided a fix. Not going to be butt sore about it.

:-)

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 - Updates [chanthony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chanthony wrote:
Not one company is perfect. They found a problem and provided a fix. Not going to be butt sore about it.

:-)

You do realise they have quite a history of doing this...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:

Ugh. I received the same email this AM and promptly requested my new door(s). Problem is I didn't think to enter "2" as the quantity. Just went back to order a second door and the code doesn't work now. Balls.

Off to call customer service.

Don't be me.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 - Updates [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh... I did the same exact thing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
nightfend wrote:

Ugh. I received the same email this AM and promptly requested my new door(s). Problem is I didn't think to enter "2" as the quantity. Just went back to order a second door and the code doesn't work now. Balls.

Don't be me.

That is funny and had no idea as I processed mine on the phone!!!!

If anyone has a pair of Vector V3 and did not receive the email I would encourage you to call Garmin - I will forewarn though the wait time is usually like 1-2hrs!!!

I just hit the call me back button and go on with my day and wait for them to call me back - which they always did.
Last edited by: teddygram: Jun 12, 18 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
DJRed wrote:
nightfend wrote:

Don't be me.

That is funny and had no idea as I processed mine on the phone!!!!

If anyone has a pair of Vector V3 and did not receive the email I would encourage you to call Garmin - I will forewarn though the wait time is usually like 1-2hrs!!!

I just hit the call me back button and go on with my day and wait for them to call me back - which they always did.

Yep. I called and was told they would call back between 45 minutes and 67 minutes.

Also, thanks to NightFend for the post because I guarantee if I had this realization in "3-4 weeks" I would have thrown a big tantrum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my new doors in the mail an hour ago. There was also supposed to be something called anti-fretting lube which I didn't see. What is it and how will it make me not fret? Unless it is a six pack of a nice IPA?

Really hoping these new doors solve the problems (of basically being worthless paper weights)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 - Updates [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveCoz wrote:
Just got my new doors in the mail an hour ago. There was also supposed to be something called anti-fretting lube which I didn't see. What is it and how will it make me not fret? Unless it is a six pack of a nice IPA?

Really hoping these new doors solve the problems (of basically being worthless paper weights)

I did not receive any of the lube as it stated that it should have been with it - IMO the anti-fretting or the recommendation of lubricating the batteries was mainly from the doors not being designed right and holding the battery in place and was also at first Garmin's mistake for not knowing what was happening with the system and found that the batteries rubbing (fretting) was potentially the issue.

If you really want to lube/grease them up stop at any hardware/autoparts store and pick up some dielectric grease and lube those suckers up.
Last edited by: teddygram: Jun 12, 18 13:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lube for the batteries. They told me I could just use sewing machine oil, so that’s probably what I will do. Just a tiny amount on the tip of a toothpick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveCoz wrote:

I did my first battery change last week and used baby oil applied with a toothpick. All good.

Don't know if you've seen this, but I followed it to the letter and my change went smoothly (knock wood).
https://support.garmin.com/...ource=faqSearch%252F

The one thing I'd point out (and this is apparently very important according to my call with technical support) is to not strip the threads. According to the instructions linked above, the easiest way to ensure that the parts are properly aligned and to avoid cross threading, is to turn the Allen key (and the door) counterclockwise until you feel the door drop into the threads on the pedal body.

I didn't use the Allen key at all until I was sure the threads were properly aligned. I did this by putting the battery door into the pedal and gently turning it counterclockwise with a little downward pressure. If you do this, the pedal door will eventually make a clicking sound and you'll feel it fall into the threads on the pedal body. It did take a little patience and a number of counterclockwise rotations. I then gently turned it with my fingers until it got tight and gave it about a half rotation with the Allen key to lock it down.

According to product support the issue is the battery doors are metal and the threads in the pedal are plastic so they are easy to strip if they are misaligned. I said that seems like a pretty basic design flaw that a first-year engineering student might pick up on and questioned if a newer version that would be metal-on-metal would be released anytime see. He said he was "not aware".

Vector 3 has a 2-year warranty and I plan on watching my warranty-end period and any new product releases very closely.

I'm a Garmin fan all the way (Nuvi, FR60, FR70, 910XT, 935, Edge 520, Vector 3) but this one is testing my patience. However, if I get the new doors and then just take care when changing batteries to not strip the threads, I'll be satisfied (although not ecstatic).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've changed my batteries twice and so far so good (even with the old battery doors). But I'm just waiting for them to fail in some way. Bought mine back in December, so I have a warranty for a while at least and a backup Quarq powermeter on my other bike I can use.

Other than the battery life issue (I think I'm getting about 30 hours or so), they have been great pedals so far. No other complaints from me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first "longish" ride on these last night (after all the updates and doors) - it was a trainer ride and I was using both my Wahoo and Garmin pedals (Garmin on Garmin, Wahoo on Trainer road App) and monitored the power and accuracy etc of the pedals against the Kickr.

I will say right off the bat I am stunned by how quick responding and accurate the pedals are - they were within 5 watts of AVG power to my Wahoo and within 2 watts of NP and they responded MUCH quicker with both power changes and cadence changes than the TR App. I was also messing with it a bunch during the ride by randomly un-clipping and watching the balance change or by playing "dead" leg and just seeing how it responds and it didn't miss a beat.

I will say - so far - so good
Last edited by: teddygram: Jun 13, 18 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waited until last Friday for my V3s to arrive. Didnt work. Sent them back. Not a consumer of beta product. For $1000USD i expect products to bloody work. Period. To wait this long and known issue still exists upon receiving product is pretty pathetic regardless of how well customer service is.

Layer on that all the LBS around the globe dealing with this shit with thier customers. Yes they are in the business and service sets them a part, but the time suck they are facing must be major aggravation.

I am moving to 4iii.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 - Updates [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had mine since January. They have been usable on the trainer. Pretty much useless on the road.

They sent me “new” battery doors about a month ago. They were definitely not the new ones. I got the old ones. Asked them to make it right and they finally shipped a month later.

I switched to the CR1/3N battery which helped some. They should have designed this thing to officially support the CR1/3N battery from the start. It makes a lot more sense from a mechanical standpoint.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 - Updates [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally got the email about my incoming battery doors...

I've had no drops since putting a small piece of electrical tape behind the battery connection tab? (same as the cork trick).. I'm just running sans o-ring right now on the drive side because it tore, so I'm more or less looking forward to the new doors fixing that issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all!

I wanted to update this thread with some data that I have on my Garmin Vector 3 battery life.

I changed my batteries from the OEM provided batteries on 4/22/18 with Duracell 303/357/76 batteries. I used a little bit of Dielectric grease on the batteries and the pedals at that date had the old battery doors on them and old software (I believe 3.2??? or something).

I am happy to say that the battery life on the pedals was 70hrs 11min 13sec!!

It was broken down like this

• Old software and old doors = 37hrs 11min

• Software update and new doors = 33hrs

• Travel time in car/camper (waking up and turning off) = 30hrs (this does affect its battery life somehow but I cant really log how it does)

The update software 3.50 was suppose to help fix battery drain and wake issues - so based on what I collected and have seen I think it is safe to say that in the future you can potentially see over 90hrs of battery life (just estimating) and I plan to record it again to verify.

I also want to say that the pedals have not missed a beat since all the updates - no drop out issues, no spikes, nothing... just pure performance.

I first got a indication that the pedals had low battery 1hr into a 6hr out door ride and it lasted the remainder of that entire ride plus another 1hr trainer ride later that week. I would say its safe to say that when the low battery indicator hits you have about 5hrs of confidence in the batter left. These pedals are also changed 3 times a week between bikes depending on what I am doing.

I hope this is some useful info for you guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good to hear..

I've sent mine back to garmin as the threads on the drive side are F'd. Waiting for them to send me a new pair. Good thing I still have my V2.
Quote Reply

Prev Next