Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why wear a swim cap?
Quote | Reply
I see all these blokes with short hair or no hair wearing swim caps-is there a reason that Im missing? I understand if you have long hair or are in a race but for crunching out laps Im a little...what the? So whats the reason?
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 100% smooth-domed bald. I wear a cap in the pool because swim caps drive me crazy. I know I'll have to wear one during races, so I do it to build tolerance.

I could while away the hours
Conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cap holds my goggle straps in place. Otherwise the straps slide to the bottom of my head and put uneven pressure on the goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
I see all these blokes with short hair or no hair wearing swim caps-is there a reason that Im missing? I understand if you have long hair or are in a race but for crunching out laps Im a little...what the? So whats the reason?

Not sure how you’re defining long or short hair but I wear a a cap as the chlorine makes hair very dry.
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [pj_haas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 100% bald and Wear my cap partly as it keeps my goggles in place but mainly because I always have. It was a rule to wear one with my club from the age if about 5. Swimming without one feels weird.
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i started wearing a swim cap to get used to them in races, now when i swim without one it feels like my goggles are slipping down my head

some pools insist that swim caps are worn whether short or long hair ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m wit you. Getting to and from the pool is complicated enough. Not messing with a swim cap has helped simplify the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim with one during Race Weeks.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In pool training, I wear it to keep me warm. I run really cold in the pool. I don't know if it does keep me warmer, but someone suggested it once and now I have convinced myself it does.

In racing, I wear two. Cap...goggles...cap. First cap gives the goggles something to grip. Second cap keeps them in place if I get bumped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

Just because your hair is short, doesn't mean I want it in my mouth when I swim. It should be mandatory at all pools.
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I’m wit you. Getting to and from the pool is complicated enough. Not messing with a swim cap has helped simplify the process.

Pink? Or do you also struggle with chewing gum and walking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

Indoor or outdoor pool? During the week I swim in an outdoor pool and wear a cap. If I didn't my skull would be burned to a crisp; not a good feeling. On the weekends I swim in an indoor pool and don't wear a cap. I have a completely shaved head BTW.

Trav

Quote | Reply
A lot of pools require them - most every one I go to does. If you have hair, wear one. I don't want to accidentally suck down your loose hairs. For the totally bic'd baldies...well, not sure what to tell you. Pretend like you have hair and rock it anyway?
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of pools require them
---

I've swam in literally hundreds of pools, all in the US, across several different states. I've never encountered a pool that had a mandatory swim cap requirement.

I've also never gotten a mouth full of hair while swimming, which makes this a baffling argument. TBH- hair in a public pool is the least of my concerns. YMMV

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only been to one that it was mandatory at. I've also never gotten a mouth full of hair. I have however gotten some strands across my face, pretty rare event though. I figure it's good practice for when swimming in open water and you get random seaweed and other floaty stuff in your face - less likely to freak out that way. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the same reason that people still go full kit when they are putzing around at 14 mph on their bikes

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim at Equinox in NYC. They require them. I've also swum at JCC Manhattan, they also require them. I've seen lifeguards kick bald men out of the pool (and also others with hair) if they don't have a cap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep my tempo trainer in place...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have swam through hair plenty of times... never had it go into my mouth

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an age group swimmer I wore one only at meets.

As a masters swimmer when i kept my hair really short I didn't bother wearing a cap. Now that i've let it grow longer if I don't wear a cap its long enough to go over my goggles which I find annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Why wear a swim cap? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
I have swam through hair plenty of times... never had it go into my mouth

...that you know of...

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wear it because if feels weird to go without. Just what I'm used to at this point. Plus it's faster, and you've gotta race with one anyway, and it really isn't a big deal to put it on, so a cap it is...

Besides, Michael Phelps usually trained with a cap, as far as I can tell. If it's good enough for him...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 12, 18 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a shaved smooth head. I do not wear a cap in the pool. Before I shaved I found that without a cap I lifted my head and dropped my hips so that’s why I did with short hair. I do wear a cap in open water while training. At least I usually do... but that’s so people can see me.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swimmer rocking the race cap, thinking: "PLEASE notice my race cap with my race number on it..."

Another swimmer: "Say, did you do IM XYZ?"

First swimmer: "Yeah, as a matter of fact, I did! I did okay, I had a good day, but it was my 'A' race and I didn't quite do what I wanted to do..."

In all honesty, race/college/squad/meet caps are fun to wear, so I get it. I rocked one recently that was from the 2007 Australian Pan-Pacific Swim Championships, and I've worn a Stanford cap, both of which were given to me. I'm quick to add that part!

I'm losing my hair, I keep it very short, and the water in which I swim is pretty warm. But, I am finding that what remains of my hair is getting dry. I'll probably go back to wearing one. Definitely in OWS in water under 79.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pool requires them as well which is why I have always worn one as a masters swimmer.

When I was in High School I never wore a cap and I wore this crazy drag suit, to supposedly save the "fast feeling" (see also: shaved legs) for meets. But I think the sport has gotten away from that a little bit as the conventional wisdom (from talking to current coaches & swimmers) is that extra drag in practice really doesn't benefit you from a technique or workload perspective.

Also, soaking my hair in chlorine for 20 hrs/week with no barrier completely destroyed it - It was a faded blonde, almost white/bleached color (eyebrows as well) and the consistency was like straw. Now that I have to work for a living I prefer not to look like a 70 year old beach bum. But if I shaved my head I might still go capless.

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next