Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [hairypiernas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup...

But she apologized
Quote Reply
Post deleted by hairypiernas [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup that 2 yr ban sure hurt her. she ran even faster this time then when she got popped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman couldn't prove that she doped intentionally. She served her time. Time to move on.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are ever in a fight - and your opponent get's rattled - ya know, where he stumbles a bit of maybe even falls in a daze. You don't say he is done and walk away. You finish him. You bury him. Send him to a place so dark he will never want to fight you again.

just putting that out there
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, she was NOT able to prove that the doping was unintentional.

See: http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/cd6b08d7380a478290ca6dbda65d7752/gedes%20adrvrelease%20final.pdf

Quote:
"Ms. Gerdes was not able to establish how the ostarine entered her body and, therefore, IRONMAN proceeded in accordance with the Rules and had no basis to reduce the period of ineligibility.”
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [swimmerwhotris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ solid left hook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's rich... Trumpian or Armstrongian even

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

I agree, until I saw the 2015 date. That makes it not quite as fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh snap, I overlooked that. Oh well, carry on.

trail wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

I agree, until I saw the 2015 date. That makes it not quite as fun.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that’s the irony of it and what makes it very Trump like...

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gerdes got popped - McKenzie is clean!

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
Yup...

But she apologized

Beth has never apologized

I wonder what happened to this statement.
https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/...-doping-ban/3140090/

Quote:
IRONMAN Australia winner and Noosa resident Beth Gerdes says she does "not intend” to return to professional racing after she was handed a two-year doping ban by the World Anti Doping Agency.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She did have a child, which is known to boost women's performance. Did she get a Kona spot for this? We all like to look down at others a top our soap boxes. But then it's so easy to fall off
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have written it in pink :)

I think someone brought that up in the last Michi Weiss thread a week or two ago... something along those lines “It’s OK because she apologized/acknowledged it” though I could be wrong.

Maybe all of those pro/age groupers who crucify the aforementioned athletes on social media (because its just easier there vs to their face) need to be consistent with Gerdes/McKenzie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to nobody in particular... i just pulled a few posts. were they in violation of the rules of this forum? not really. they were just sort of over the civility line. i'm not scolding those who posted. i just felt they were a might overboard.

i understand why beth has a lot of friends. luke too. and, i don't think it's simply because of what they can substantively provide as friends.

i understand also (some of) the reasons why beth has detractors. join the club, beth. i also have them.

i'm not going to defend her; and i'm not going to trash her. or luke. if you guys want to write why you aren't their fans, okay, they're pro athletes, they're businesspeople, i am too, if we didn't want folks talking about it we should've shrunk back and not put ourselves out there. just, please exercise basic civility and stay inside the rules. if you won't write it on facebook, please don't write it here. you can be anonymous. just, please don't take advantage of anonymity.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hairypiernas wrote:
Pros say nothing because?? They are/want to be sponsored by her clothing line? They want compete in the invitation only/one of the highest prize purses in tri The Island House Triathlon where she is a race director? But they all gang up on Weiss/Huethaller etc.

There are people that have spoken up but by and large I can't really fault my peers for not speaking up. Pro triathlon is a brutal and all consuming sport. If you pick up an axe and go to war you have to be prepared for the emotional drain that comes with it and that is frankly why most pros don't participate in online discussion in the first place. There just isn't much to gain.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know Beth or Luke, nor do I have any association to them whatsoever.

I think the difference between Beth and Lisa Huetthaler/Michi Weiss, is that most triathletes won't comment on what happened to Beth because it could well happen to anyone in the future (intentional or not). But what Lisa/Michi did goes beyond the accidental (or not) supplement positive. It's full on doping with purpose.
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
I don't know Beth or Luke, nor do I have any association to them whatsoever.

I think the difference between Beth and Lisa Huetthaler/Michi Weiss, is that most triathletes won't comment on what happened to Beth because it could well happen to anyone in the future (intentional or not). But what Lisa/Michi did goes beyond the accidental (or not) supplement positive. It's full on doping with purpose.

I don't disagree. After all, we should think that pro triathletes, who at least have the expectation that they could be tested and thus shouldn't/wouldn't show up on race day with Ostarine in their systems. I am fairly naive in general, but I tend to the think the Ostarine cases are true contamination issues, at least the ones that I am aware of. Now you could make the argument that athletes knew if they tested+ they could claim contamination, but it seems like a lot of risk and hassle to do so. Regardless, EPO on Lisa not so much. We do need to do a better job of finding the users of say EPO/Testosterone, but show up, get tested, and test clean.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She served her time as did Weiss and others. I guess we tend to forgive Beth more because it truly did seem unintentional and because Luke is clean. Luke is somewhat the Alibi here. Beth and Luke were always sponsored simultaneously and Luke never came up with anything. Weiss doesn't have that Alibi, right or wrong it just seems like that weighs into people's perceptions. Regardless they did their time, we just have to take them as normal racers now. Plus, if Beth were doping now she probably would have dominated that bike, which clearly seemed like a weak spot.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're all fundamentally biased, and most doping cases have at least enough ambiguity for us to justify continuing with those biases. In cycling lots of people hated Froome and Sky for years before there was any evidence of doping because he had an ugly riding style, they were too dominant, they had too much money, they were boring, he wasn't American/French/Italian/Spanish, etc. So one adverse analytical finding for an asthma drug was enough to confirm those people's inherent biases and it's impossible to have any discussion of him or Sky without doping being brought up. On the other hand lots of people like Simon Yates because he's young, he's an underdog, he's an exciting rider who attacks, and he turned down a Sky contract. So the fact that he failed a test for an asthma drug and served a ban barely gets a mention.

Same thing with Lance - people who didn't like the guy because he was arrogant, American, dominant, etc had assumed he was doping for years and were happy for him to be exiled from the sport and hung out to dry when he finally got caught. And people who liked the guy because he was good looking, charismatic, American, Livestrong, etc didn't really care when he caught and just said everybody was doing it and Lance was still the best. Plus charity.

Beth and Luke seem like a nice, photogenic, popular couple, and the doping test had enough ambiguity that it's pretty easy for people to give her a pass. If she was Russian, didn't speak very good English and was a bit of a loner with few friends on the circuit and no social media presence then she'd probably be judged differently. Same if she'd been caught red-handed with a syringe full of EPO stuck in her arm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it really a double standard or is that every situation needs to be looked at independently to come to a fair conclusion? Unfortunately it is not always black and white with doping in my opinion. With what Lauren has been able to prove with her case and "luckily" being able to obtain a sample that could be tested and back up her claims I personally have to believe Beth. Both cases came out at almost the identical time, tested positive for the exact same substance which just seems to coincidental to me that it was intentional on her part. As much as I do enjoy following both Luke and Beth pro careers, their business success and personal lives on social that really has no bearing on me. I can totally see how this could happen with the way the supplement industry is regulated and just seems to coincidental to me to have been intentional.
Quote Reply
Re: Beth Mckenzie - Double Standard 101 [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one to find that tweet hilariously funny? I mean, no matter if you think she doped or not, you can't help but like the comedy of it. They would have been better to laugh it off with a comment to the tune of "touché". If you dish it out, you gotta be able to take it.

Did anyone mention that they are really nice people?
Last edited by: Tubs: Jun 12, 18 5:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next