Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else track IM Boulder? A certain woman “won” the amateur OA and was listed in the results. Now today, her name is gone and it says DQ for not completing the course. I believe she’s fast enough to place highly w/o any cutting. Anyone know the story Nothing on her FB since Fri.

Quote | Reply
yes! Who was it???

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that several women may have inadvertently missed a section of the bike course and received DQs... don't know the specific details but don't think it was anything more than a mistake.
Last edited by: sfjab: Jun 11, 18 16:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:
Did anyone else track IM Boulder? A certain woman “won” the amateur OA and was listed in the results. Now today, her name is gone and it says DQ for not completing the course. I believe she’s fast enough to place highly w/o any cutting. Anyone know the story Nothing on her FB since Fri.

Didn't Justin Daerr or one of the other Boulder locals get DQ'd last year as well? IIRC he (they) didn't run to the full turnaround correctly, or were misdirected and failed to hit a timing mat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noticed that as well, happened right after the race when I was checking results for my AG. Three of top 10 women in my AG were DQ'd for that reason (I think, I only know for certain on two) and they were fast enough to have podium finished w/o cutting, experienced racers and likely honest mistake. Both bike and run courses were confusing with multiple out and backs that were pretty wily. It would have been *very* easy to miss a section of the bike course that contained "cheat strips." It looks like that happened to quite a few competitors.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [milkmaid1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the 1st place amateur that was DQ'ed had already earned a Kona slot for 2018 by winning the overall amateur race at IMAZ so the bike course confusion was just an unfortunate mishap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not the first time this athlete has been dqed in a race... IMCdA 2013 and Oceanside 2016. Kinda starting to seem like a pattern.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
Yes, the 1st place amateur that was DQ'ed had already earned a Kona slot for 2018 by winning the overall amateur race at IMAZ so the bike course confusion was just an unfortunate mishap.

well, she was 2nd at IMAZ, but yes.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [TiredTriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't be silly, oceanside was for speeding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:

why don't you know...uhh, ask her?

this thread is pretty lame, to be honest. emily is more than fast enough to win a soft race like IM Boulder without making what is most likely an honest course mistake. i don't know her personally but have interacted with her at races and seen her race a bunch. no questions on her race integrity.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by TiredTriathlete [ In reply to ]
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [TiredTriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're insinuating that she has some sort of nefarious motive to intentionally cheat. You're also anonymous. You've made 4 total posts on ST in multiple years and now 2 of them are essentially implying that Emily Lanter is a cheater.

You're either being obtuse on purpose or you have a personal bone to pick with her. How many races have you been in the same race and seen her "in a pack?" I'm guessing 1. Maybe. And it was at one of the turnarounds at IM AZ or something. Where EVERYONE is in a "pack."
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jun 11, 18 17:21
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
irontri wrote:

why don't you know...uhh, ask her?

this thread is pretty lame, to be honest. emily is more than fast enough to win a soft race like IM Boulder without making what is most likely an honest course mistake. i don't know her personally but have interacted with her at races and seen her race a bunch. no questions on her race integrity.

I don’t know her well enough to ask her. That’s why I posted here to see if anyone else knew.

Quote | Reply
Trying to infer a pattern of misconduct because she was DQ'd for speeding at Oceanside is a stretch. If you could point to several course cutting issues, you might have a point, but you cannot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't know any of the folks here, but, at a certain point, when it becomes clear that one anonymous person has a particular beef with another named person, it's probably better if we either don't have this discussion here (take it to facebook) or if both parties are named and known.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This whole thread is bogus, in my opinion. Completely misguided and opportunistic from the start.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
This whole thread is bogus, in my opinion. Completely misguided and opportunistic from the start.

well, i'm not going to pull it, if that's what you're suggesting. i give folks a lot of leeway. but i will say this. whenever i hear that a lot of people were DQd for taking a wrong turn, i suspect it strays beyond the "athlete's responsibility to know the course." i now begin to suspect an abrogation of the RD's responsibility to set, mark and direct a proper course.

however, i don't know how many wrong turners we're talking about.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't expecting a pull. It just says a lot about the OP. And some other posters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

well, i'm not going to pull it, if that's what you're suggesting. i give folks a lot of leeway. but i will say this. whenever i hear that a lot of people were DQd for taking a wrong turn, i suspect it strays beyond the "athlete's responsibility to know the course." i now begin to suspect an abrogation of the RD's responsibility to set, mark and direct a proper course.

I am always dumbfounded with the brainwashing that has occurred from race organizations around that statement.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [milkmaid1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The out and back before starting lap 2 of the bike was pretty self explanatory if you briefly looked over the course beforehand and had a garmin device so you knew which mile marker you were at. The signs clearly said “right for mike 70” or “straight for mile 56.”

I thought the run course was pretty easy to follow as well.

I’d expect top age groupers to have a working knowledge of the course and a gps unit to track their distance. Mistakes do happen and it’s easy to lose focus in the race but I thought the course was pretty easy to follow if you were mindful and paying attention.

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
Also happened to the 2nd place guy in 50-54..... My friend who raced said that there was a confusing out and back about mile 75 that people went straight on.....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [thetrilife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrilife wrote:
The out and back before starting lap 2 of the bike was pretty self explanatory if you briefly looked over the course beforehand and had a garmin device so you knew which mile marker you were at. The signs clearly said “right for mike 70” or “straight for mile 56.”

I thought the run course was pretty easy to follow as well.

I’d expect top age groupers to have a working knowledge of the course and a gps unit to track their distance. Mistakes do happen and it’s easy to lose focus in the race but I thought the course was pretty easy to follow if you were mindful and paying attention.

i have no knowledge of how the course was. but... if you had a garmin device? we're orienteers now?

the really good RDs, when you ask them, "what's the best method for telling racers there's a turn? approaching signs and cones? chalk marks on the road? or a volunteer yelling and pointing the direction?" that good RD invariably says, "yes!" all 3. you throw the kitchen sink at the athletes.

i raced this weekend. i had no garmin device. fortunately there were signs, cones, chalk, and volunteers. this old guy (me) needed them all.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i have no knowledge of how the course was. but... if you had a garmin device? we're orienteers now?

the really good RDs, when you ask them, "what's the best method for telling racers there's a turn? approaching signs and cones? chalk marks on the road? or a volunteer yelling and pointing the direction?" that good RD invariably says, "yes!" all 3. you throw the kitchen sink at the athletes.
=============================================================================
this was my reaction, too: having any such device cannot be requisite. not even a bike mileage computer---which is good, since i've had one die on me a couple of times in races.
on a positive note, i've never had such good warning of a turn, etc. as i did in miamiman last november. huge signs, people yelling, markers on the ground: they had it all, big, well done.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
Slowman wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

I am always dumbfounded with the brainwashing that has occurred from race organizations around that statement.

really, who is going to remember a 112 mile bike course?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder top female AG OA removed from results [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like an easy mistake to make on the back half of a hot ride.
HIM Victoria had 43 course directives. There is no way any athlete should be expected to have that memorized.
If there is anything beyond basic turns, it needs to be well marked and covered in the athletes briefing.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply

Prev Next