Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview**
Quote | Reply
I had a chance to sit down with Javi before Ironman Cairns. Whats your thoughts on how he will go? He said his longest ride was 200k and longest run was 34k.

He also said "I am here to race"

How do you think the race will pan out?

Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it's his first Ironman, he should have no time goals and ride a road bike.

---According to a lot of past posts here :)
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love that his longest run was only 21 miles. No need to do more than that as the risk is just too high.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. Nice video and always seems like a super nice guy. He doesn't really have a weakness, so it gives him the opportunity to play it pretty safe which is what I think will happen. He will exit with the lead group out of the swim, sit on with the lead pack on the bike, sit on the shoulder of the lead runner/s and then see if he can push the last 10km for the win. For me the danger would be if he misses a break on the bike or something goes wrong with his nutrition. Are Wurf and Amberger racing Cairns? That could create an interesting challenge for Gomez if those two form a break way on the bike, but I still think Gomez will run them down.

I hear A.Brownlee is injured again? If so, that really does not look good for his long term prospects in the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubs wrote:
Thanks for posting. Nice video and always seems like a super nice guy. He doesn't really have a weakness, so it gives him the opportunity to play it pretty safe which is what I think will happen. He will exit with the lead group out of the swim, sit on with the lead pack on the bike, sit on the shoulder of the lead runner/s and then see if he can push the last 10km for the win. For me the danger would be if he misses a break on the bike or something goes wrong with his nutrition. Are Wurf and Amberger racing Cairns? That could create an interesting challenge for Gomez if those two form a break way on the bike, but I still think Gomez will run them down.

I hear A.Brownlee is injured again? If so, that really does not look good for his long term prospects in the sport.

Josh is in Switzerland doing a 70.3. No clue if Wurf is going to be there.

I also heard that Ali is injured, they mentioned it on the Triathlon Live TV broadcast for the mixed relays.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i saw wurf post a 5 hour ride in spain today soooo I guess he is out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long term prospects... I would say winning back to back olympic gold medals is pretty good.

Tubs wrote:

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant long term prospects going forward. Not taking anything away from his achievements to date. Albeit even they came in the midst of injury plagued years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the problem will be Bozzone and Currie.
Both appear stronger bikers and proven IM Mara's in the mid 2:40's.

Stacked field though so should play to Gomez advantage.

Agreed if off bike with leaders then expected win. But I reckon he'll be a few mins down from the Uber bikers.

Hoping Terrenzo can continue his form as he's on fire with no weakness.

Reckon Gomez runs 2:45 for 2nd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Bozzone
2) Currie
3) Gomez

Team Every Man Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about long course prospects;)

Simply a beast and hopefully can translate and stay healthy to longer racing as he has started to shift his goals.

Brandes wrote:
Long term prospects... I would say winning back to back olympic gold medals is pretty good.

Tubs wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent video.

I hope he only runs what he needs to run to win.

I don’t want him to burn too many matches and underperform at Kona

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he'll come 2nd to Terenzo. Terenzo is biking very well at the moment. 11 mins quicker than the next pro at Busselton 70.3 5 weeks ago. Rode a 1.58 in brutal conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting watching Terenzo this year. If Kona is his number one goal this year, his race schedule seems at odds with doing well in October. He already got himself in great shape for IMNZ and held his fantastic form for a couple of 70.3'. So if he plans on bringing his A game to IM Cairns and pushing himself deep against a stacked field, is he really going to be able to get in great shape a 3rd time for Kona? In Macca's book he talks about Terenzo being an incredible talent but held back at times by overtraining. Could his race schedule be stopping him from having a great race in kona? Can any athlete be in great shape in March , June and then again in October? Compare it to Gomez, who has been very quiet on the racing, will prob use Cairns just as race experience when not in top shape, and then move on towards Kona to be at his best.

It would be great to see Terenzo at his best in kona, as I genuinely think he could win it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In other news, the womens race could be quite interesting too. Two super fish well up the road making everyone else chase all day.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Managed to catch up with the man before the race!

Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!!! You just need Bozzone and you have a picture of the men's podium. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only ???? What would you expect it to be??
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
In other news, the womens race could be quite interesting too. Two super fish well up the road making everyone else chase all day.

The former drug cheat will come second

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, same thought. Am stoked to see him enter the long course world.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only if he needs to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watching the video again, Gomez talks about doing Cairns to get used to Kona conditions.

In 2015 I raced IM Frankfurt with the temperature about 38C (100F) and I was glad just to survive. Before the start I was very close to a DNS as I have never done any training in temperatures anywhere near that high, so I was genuinely concerned it might be dangerous. In the end I just rolled around the bike and then did a jog/walked survival from aid station to aid station. I could not believe that Frodeno broke the course record that day going 7:49. The temperatures didn't seem to have any effect on him whatsoever. How the hell could he run a 2:50 in those temperatures. I am told that it's pretty much that hot or hotter in Kona EVERY year. At least for Kona they know what's coming and can do some heat prep, but those temps for Frankfurt are not the norm, so I can't imagine he did a lot of heat prep for it. But it wasn't just Frodeno, 6 guys went under 8:10 and Ryf broke the women's record. Meanwhile in the AG ranks, the race had a DNF rate of over 35% and a massive effect on the average finish time.

You get the occasional PRO athlete that doesn't go well in the heat, but it seems very rare. In the picture with Zedzded, Gomez doesn't even look like he has much of a tan from training in hot weather.

So what makes the PRO's so good at racing in the heat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specific heat training protocols that most others do not do + many many years experience racing and training [in the heat], that most AGers do not have.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Only ???? What would you expect it to be??

I expect it to be just that.

There are too many people who insist on running 24-28 miles in their IM prep.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pros??
Quote Reply

Prev Next