Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, sounds tempting. Perhaps i'll also have some ski bends put on at the same time, to really get the front end the way I want it (I think). Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [Tri Dogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Dogg wrote:
Hmm, sounds tempting. Perhaps i'll also have some ski bends put on at the same time, to really get the front end the way I want it (I think). Cheers

The ski bends are much more comfortable for me than the stock S-bends; wrists are no longer bent awkwardly forward. At this point, after tweaking and evolving the cockpit over the past four months and testing weekly, I'm finally comfortable and don't have any other changes to make. (Except, I might experiment with a softer-nosed saddle at some point, still has to be narrow like the S-Works Power Arc I'm riding now.) Cheers to you as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Dogg wrote:

Let me know if you are looking to try the ski-bends. I have a set that I put on and they didn't work out for me. There was not as much extension on them when compared to the s-bends and I was more aero with the stock extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [vassiliyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vassiliyg wrote:
Hi Guys,

my first post here as I've started assembly of my new giant trinity advanced pro tt. From the start, I should acknowledge, there was no detailed instruction despite that one that I could find in the Internet.

Can you please advise, if the Di2 battery support set (the one that fits into the seatpost) should come with the frameset or should I somehow get it separetely?

Another question is I can't get the seatpost clamp be perfectly aligned with the frame. There's a small portion of it protruding out of the frame, therefore rubber cover does not fit will. Did some of you deal with this issue? or am I doing something wrong?

Yeah, that is incorrect. Try completely removing that wedge clamp and unscrewing it so that it is only holding on to the screw with 3-4 threads. Then, insert the seat post with the wedge clamp together and it should slide flush. Finally, tighten that bolt to spec and it will lock in tight. (Don't forget carbon paste on the seat post where it clamps!)

Regarding the di2 battery mount, mine came built up with Di2 and it included the mount. If you bought the frameset, I wouldn't be surprised that it was not included. It is about $10-15. You can get away with some heavy duty double sided tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer is tearing up the bike right now in Chatty (we are halfway through). I am interested to hear his race report after everything is said and done. Specifically his bike setup for the race, power file, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the props...sorry to have let the excitement down in the end!

Back at work, so I'll update this as I can.

Race Report
My day started less than ideal: I was doing a warmup run at 4am and fell into a hole in the sidewalk. It was a water main hole or something, ~2x2ft and ~2ft deep. Was looking out for branches and other stuff around on the ground and completely missed it, since it was dark. Slapped the ground hard, cutting up and bashing my knees, shins and elbows. Scared my girlfriend, waking her up with blood all over! Told myself to just let it go, ice it, eat breakfast and get on with it, it'll be ok.

Also, one of my elbow pads flew off on the drive down, so I picked up a couple beer koozies and fashioned a pad out of that. Let me say, it did not work so well once wet with sweat and water. It was like riding right on the cup itself. With the humidity, the glue melted off the other pad and I lost at about 20k in. Made for a painful and uncomfortable ride.

Swim was solid. My pool swimming is far superior to my open water swimming, and I've struggled to translate it. This was one of my better ones, closer to those front guys than I have been before, 2min down.

Bike was cracking. I've been working a lot on it and it's finally starting to show. I caught Hanson very early (he was 15-20sec ahead out of water) and we worked together. Even at legal distance, there is benefit to this – I find it is more mental than anything, as you can key off someone in front of you and get extra motivation to stay moving strong as you fade. For me, this was turning into my best ever ride and it really came down to a mental shift: I said to myself the day before, "You will crush. Race like you belong. Be aggressive. Everyone else is just an obstacle to the finish. Take no prisoners." We caught almost everyone ahead, including Otstot, Gambles, Potts, and at about halfway were only around 1min down on Laundry and Desroches, and maybe 3ish to Starky. Every guy we passed managed to latch on, so we had a group of around 15 I think. And it was squirrelly, guys surging, braking suddenly, some slotting in. I felt uneasy and didn't like that some would move ahead and then let a gap open up. Hanson was strongest and stayed out front, while I tried to maintain my position 2nd-3rd behind him.

I probably rode a bit too aggressively and with too many big surges. Those gaps could have been closed with smoother riding. Unfortunately, I got a penalty (along with Potts). It definitely got tight and I should have done more to keep the distance, but I thought I did a good job of visibly showing my intention by sitting up/soft pedalling. However, the official had a hard stance on the rules. It's difficult when the group is big and not really working together. From stop to go, the penalty took about 5:40. Decided to ride hard the rest of the way, catching a few guys who passed us while in the box.

I started the run and immediately felt a complete lack of snap and was super tight all over. I was actually moving decently the first couple of miles but it slowly turned into a death march, and the heat eventually got to me.

Overall though, very encouraging day. I'm excited for the next one.

Updated
Bike Setup

2017 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 1
Drivetrain: Ultegra Di2 52/36 (stock)
Extensions: Zipp Evo 110 Aluminum extensions
Pads: stock, slammed as much as possible
Wheels: Vision Metron 81 / Reynolds Strike SLG with Wheelbuilders disc cover
Saddle: ISM PN1.0 (stock, I like it)
Shoes: Giant Conduit
Helmet: Giro Selector
Flat kit: in the bento
Nutrition: Aerovault nose cone bottle + 1 bottle behind the saddle that I use to refill the front (First Endurance EFS Pro) + XLab Aero TT bottle (First Endurance EFS Liquid Shot)

I switched the extensions to the Giant ski-bends last year, then switched over the winter to the Zipps. I did a Stac Virtual Wind Tunnel test and made changes based on that. The wheels are mismatched, which really bothers me, but I am waiting to order a new disc cover for the Vision wheels, which are also new (for me, purchased lightly used from a Slowtwitcher).

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Last edited by: Staer: May 22, 18 11:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I inverted my basebar as well. It's been a great change for me. It really depends on your fit. When I had it pointed down, I felt like I was in the drops of a road bike. Now it feels like I'm on the hoods - which helps when climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the review. With everything seemingly going so wrong, outside of a good swim and feeling strong on the bike, you probably have a sub 4 hour race in front of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely think so.
Post updated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giving me more confidence to go with an aerojacket when I make the upgrade from box wheels. Do you feel full carbon is that much better than carbon alloy? Whey did you drop the aerovault hydration system?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say full carbon is necessarily better. You do get better braking with aluminum, though I have never had any issues or lack of confidence. It didn't choose the wheels because they are carbon, but because of rim depth and price. The Reynolds Strike SLGs I was running before came with a previous bike and were high quality enough to stick around for a few years.

I use the Aerovault in races. It's annoying to remove regularly because my pads are as close as they can get, which makes getting at the bottle wedge difficult - have to use a knife.

Last edited by: Staer: May 22, 18 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tri Dogg,

I can confirm that catastrophic failure is definitely possible with this bar. 15km into my first ride I was on the bullhorns and I went over a small bump, next minute the right side of the bar cracked and lost all structural integrity. Not what you want on your maiden voyage!

Giant handled it quite quickly and replaced the bar, but they never really did tell me what the issue was (which is a little concerning). Yours look more like scratches from an allen key than a crack, but could be worthwhile getting it checked regardless.

On another note, does anyone have trouble using a torque wrench to tighten the seat post bolt? The head of my torque wrench is too large/bulky and the hex key doesn't fit into the bolt head nicely. I'm worried I will round the head of the bolt out.
Last edited by: Robijo11: May 31, 18 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [Deadman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried the USE 50-degree extensions? Any other options to consider for getting the hands up higher?

I made a vector drawing of the cockpit parts, trying to solve the puzzle of angling-up the elbow cups and hands, but there is no way to make angled spacers or an angled shim under the clamp and still allow for a straight path for the fasteners. And angling up the elbow cups without hands coming up doesn't solve the problem at all.

I have Evo 110 extensions and my hands are still too low, it's making too much of a pocket for turbulent air under my face. I can get my head lower, but in addition to that, I'd like to get my hands higher.

For reference below, here's me warming up for CA state TT this weekend. You can see the big gap from hands to face. I could feel that on the back stretch in the diagonal headwind. Was dropping head lower and it redirected the air some, but it made it harder to see up ahead (and on that cracked, potholed desert road, that's not a good thing).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Any other options to consider for getting the hands up higher?

If you get a basebar and clamp-on extensions that rotate, you can micro adjust the tilt of pads and extensions at the same time. If you get 40 or 50 degree extensions you'll need to put your elbows directly on the pads.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Super D wrote:
Any other options to consider for getting the hands up higher?

If you get a basebar and clamp-on extensions that rotate, you can micro adjust the tilt of pads and extensions at the same time. If you get 40 or 50 degree extensions you'll need to put your elbows directly on the pads.

I've seen tilting cockpit elements on other bikes, but I'm not aware of a tilting/adjustable setup for the Giant Trinity, is there one?

With a 40- or 50-degree extension set, the elbow pads can then be rotated upward with washers, custom-angled shims which relocate the elbow cups, etc. As of now, I'm not seeing any other options...I'd be happy to find something else if you or anyone knows of anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know which bars you have, but if it has a round bar section where the stem clamps on, then any stem and bar will work. I started a thread about cheap bars recently: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...__P6638432/#p6638432

I ended up getting a Syntace carbon basebar off ebay, but the Pro AL basebar looks very good. And I'm using some old Profile T clamps and armcups. Super adjustable since the arm rests slide fore and aft independently. You can pedestal the T series also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I don't know which bars you have, but if it has a round bar section where the stem clamps on, then any stem and bar will work. I started a thread about cheap bars recently: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...__P6638432/#p6638432

I ended up getting a Syntace carbon basebar off ebay, but the Pro AL basebar looks very good. And I'm using some old Profile T clamps and armcups. Super adjustable since the arm rests slide fore and aft independently. You can pedestal the T series also.

I have a 2016 Trinity which has a proprietary base bar and stem, there doesn't seem to be a way to change the base bar. What year is your Trinity?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone knows if we can use other arm rest like zipp? I want more rounded cup and dont know which options can fit with our bolt distance.
Thanks

Sorry if my english is pretty bad, I am not english native
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Has anyone tried the USE 50-degree extensions? Any other options to consider for getting the hands up higher?

I made a vector drawing of the cockpit parts, trying to solve the puzzle of angling-up the elbow cups and hands, but there is no way to make angled spacers or an angled shim under the clamp and still allow for a straight path for the fasteners. And angling up the elbow cups without hands coming up doesn't solve the problem at all.

I have Evo 110 extensions and my hands are still too low, it's making too much of a pocket for turbulent air under my face. I can get my head lower, but in addition to that, I'd like to get my hands higher.

For reference below, here's me warming up for CA state TT this weekend. You can see the big gap from hands to face. I could feel that on the back stretch in the diagonal headwind. Was dropping head lower and it redirected the air some, but it made it harder to see up ahead (and on that cracked, potholed desert road, that's not a good thing).

Drag2zero has a tilt kit that i think can fit for our system

Sorry if my english is pretty bad, I am not english native
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [ferluinavela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ferluinavela wrote:

Drag2zero has a tilt kit that i think can fit for our system

Yep, saw their system, thank you, just a bit pricey. But very nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
I have a 2016 Trinity which has a proprietary base bar and stem

Sorry, in that case you are probably better off putting your elbows on the cups or tilting them somehow. I don't have a Trinity, but the cheaper models always have a normal stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello
I have a technical query
I have an advanced SL0 Etap
Is it worth changing the frame for an advanced pro?
Is there any advantage?
Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [warlockuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure exactly which model you are referring to. What year is yours from?

The latest models from the pro line are all the same. The difference is the paint job and drivetrain.
For the non pro model, I believe the carbon is the same as the pro models, but the drivetrain is mechanical and the bike does not come with the integrated bento box and cannot fit the front integrated water bottle.

I would say the integration is worth it. I chose the Pro 1 because I wanted electronic and full integration - no thinking of how and what to attach for nutrition, flat kit etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi
My trinity is sl0 2013
The pro is 2016
Very very thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next