Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Dunno. My understanding is there are still aero benefits which come from the bottle lining up with frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks -- and that's what I assume, curious about others trying it out. Appreciate getting to see the pics of how you have it set up-
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I believe it!

We should be able to get this test done on a few weeks and I'll report back.

was this done, does anyone how this setup compares aerodynamically to bta setup?
Last edited by: zinny: May 17, 18 16:01
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up the stem + bottle. I am using it on my 54 P3 with a 3T aura bar using 40mm pedestals.

Major problem is refilling because the extensions are too close together to fit a bottle between and reach the hydration opening. I may have to invent something here to push the rubber splash protection apart so i can squirt into it without having to push it open with the bottle spout. I may eventually purchase the AU bar too because this is impractical.

I find that the straw opening is too small to drink efficiently from and I am going to cut it larger. I wish that there was a better way to tell how much fluid is left as well.

Just like everyone else, my brake does not fit nicely behind the beard. I am looking for a center pull brake that is cheaper than the tririg. In terms of space there is ample clearance between HT-bottle and bottle-tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

does anyone know the width of the hydration? If I were to use a Syntace Stratos CX ( https://www.syntace.de/...fm?pid=3&pk=3299 ) with PD Subsonic and Aeria Ultimate Stem - would that leave sufficient space between the extension to use the Aeria Hydration? If not, would "classic" PD Clip-Ons (not Subsonic) work (those Clip-Ons that position the extensions a bit further outward).

With "classic" Clip-Ons the available space between extension is 70mm. With subsonic I don´t know, but it could go down to 45 (80mm clamping area minus 2x 22mm).

What´s your take?

Thanks,
Tobi
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stratos CX would be marginal for fitting the Subsonic as the 80mm centre section may mean the clamp can't sit properly.

The HSF Aeria is 75.4mm wide

So to work with a Subsonic you need nearly 100mm extension width which means basebar clamp section 120mm (or a little more)

The Sonic bracket would have 90mm extension spacing on the Syntace bar thus 68mm between the extensions.
You need to have 100mm spacing between extensions (as that is what the Aeria Ultimate bar has and the bottle was designed around that) which means a clamping section width of at least 90mm with a Sonic or Supersonic bracket.

If you're using a J4 bracket you need 120mm clamp section.

Or if you have some risers under the bracket, this can all change.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply - very helpful! At least Subsonic is now one option less to consider :-)

My plan is to convert my hybrid road/tri-bike (see attachment) to full tri and to clean up the cockpit while doing so. Though my front has a high stack (190mm) I still have approx 8cm drop to the pads which currently is OK for me. However by taking out the last 10mm spacer and switch to 17° stem (e.g. Aeria Ultimate) I could still go lower (should my body ever allow me ;-) ).

Cockpit-wize this leaves three options:

1. full integrated (e.g. Aeria Ultimate Stem/Bar/Hydration), Stem as low as possible and stack the armrests/extensions. This would put the hydration and gusset down, making it look clean. But does that really improve Aero as my arms (PLUS hydration!) are still above?
2. like option 1, but stack the stem so that the hydration is close to or even between extensions. Goal would be to hide the hydration from the wind and "expose" full steerer tube instead
3. conventional Flatbar (or 3T REVO) with Clip-Ons (e.g. Sonic) and BTA Hydration like PD FC/HC. That would be most flexible... and I am not sure if there really is an aero penalty.

If possible I want to avoid undermount, so 1. might even work without stacking the armrests.

Any thoughts? BTW, if this is too Off-Topic please let me know and I´ll move this topic to a new thread.

Thanks, Tobi
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [D4vid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I picked up the stem + bottle. I am using it on my 54 P3 with a 3T aura bar using 40mm pedestals.
Major problem is refilling because the extensions are too close together to fit a bottle between and reach the hydration opening.

Any pics? I was planning to get the bottle but I also have Aura bars. Too narrow then?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [The Red Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will take some photos this weekend. Are you using pedestal spacers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just 10mm of spacers under the clamps. May be less of an issue accessing the bottle in my case possibly
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blabelzabel wrote:
2. like option 1, but stack the stem so that the hydration is close to or even between extensions. Goal would be to hide the hydration from the wind and "expose" full steerer tube instead
3. conventional Flatbar (or 3T REVO) with Clip-Ons (e.g. Sonic) and BTA Hydration like PD FC/HC. That would be most flexible... and I am not sure if there really is an aero penalty.

Definitely option 2 rather than 1. Hide that headtube and let air flow between pedestals

3 won't be as aero as 2, but will be more convenient. A supersonic clip on gives you a tidy BTA setup option (not for FC).
Revo has very limited adjustment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feedback! I am still a bit puzzled because there is something that doesn´t fit into my little head:

I have a "structure" consisting of arms, hands and extension that pokes straight into the wind anyway (in my case horizontal). If I fit a BTA-Bottle/FC within this structure then at least the hydration is shielded from the wind. Of course this leaves the Headtube (and brake-cables) exposed to the wind, but those are aero-shaped so hopefully optimized in at least some way.

With the Aeria Ultimate concept the hydration is fixed on stem-level - so if I rise the armrest (my version 1: slammed stem/bar and rise the armrest) I end up with the above mentioned "structure" PLUS the hydration a couple of cm underneath. OK, the Aeria hydration is cool and aero and the gusset closes the gap to the headtube... but isn´t this solving a problem that wouldn´t be there if hydration stays old-school BTA? Why would an integrated hydration/gusset be any more aero than the pure (aero) headtube?

With version 2 (armrest directly on basebar, and stack the whole stem/bar upwards with spacers) the Aeria hydration again becomes BTA (at least most of it) - but that leaves the lower part of the headtube and the front-brake still exposed. So if at all there might be only a very tiny benefit.

Of course I understand that a top-notch concept like Aeria Ultimate is not designed for a converted Aero-Roadbike with 180+10mm Headtube :-) However as much as I would like to pick the AU, I am really not sure if it makes sense for my intended (ab)use. So at the moment I plan to use a classic setup of PD 1/seventeen Stem, Syntace Stratos CX, Supersonic (J5) bracket and BTA hydration (FC or other). That would convert the cockpit to a proper Tri setup, get rid of undermount-extensions and would also make room to go 15mm lower (should I wish). A Pic of the current setup is attached.

Is there anything I am missing? Do you think that AU would really give me an advantage (considering this is not a proper tri bike and I cannot achieve a clean integration as in your post #140)?

Thanks from Berlin, Tobias
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [The Red Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RROz5KcWXMMlWXOOsGMfUSP07GsYsz4L

I went for another ride with it and decided I am going to go ahead and use it. Aid stations normally give gatorade or water with a squirt nozzle and they are narrow enough to fit through and go straight into the hydration. With a standard bike bottle I was able to push the splash protection open and squirt the bottle in without much trouble.

I would like to trim the beard a little but I am afraid to mess it up. I wish the were some instructions.
Last edited by: D4vid: Jun 2, 18 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pics David.
It does look like the bottle might not even fit without my spacers under the elbow pads 😕

Good to see that you can get away with a side pull calliper too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D4vid wrote:
I would like to trim the beard a little but I am afraid to mess it up. I wish the were some instructions.

I am working on raising the standard of PDs instructions. In the meantime, I'd suggest a sharp tool (new blade or long scissors) and cut straight up one of the grooves. Do it incrementally as it doesn't grow back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Cervelo P Series headtube is 158mm deep by 38mm wide (at narrowest), so an aspect ratio of 4.2:1. Haven't tested the bottle on one of those yet. Bikes that it has been tested on are much wider with lesser aspect ratio. Add ~270mm of bottle +gusset and it's possible to get well past a 5:1 ratio. I'll have a look for more detailed numbers later.

I think in your case fairing the headtube (likely at least 55mm wide) will have more of an impact than fairing the steerer spacers (~34mm wide). You would be going from: unaero HT + round spacers
to
Faired HT + aero pad spacers.
Anytime you replace round with ovalised of some type you are likely to be making gains.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may have been covered somewhere in this thread. Is the Aeria Ultimate Basebar compatible with other stems? With the way it's tapered inwards in front and the tight fit of the"clamp area" I'm under the impression this is pretty much only going to work with the Aeria ultimate stem? I'm dealing with the Felt IA16, which I believe the Aeria Ultimate stem might not work with the pre-cut steerer tube (could be wrong about that as well).

Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Can someone tell me where is the cheapest place to source both the HSF and Ultimate Stem?

Thanks in advance!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can fit other stems, they just don't look very good.
The IA stem may be a bit wide.
The stack of the clamp on the IA stem is 34.5mm so the complete bikes had the steerer cut to 34mm.
The AU stem has a stack of 32.5mm but needs a 2.5mm spacer under it to clear the nose cone. So effectively 35mm which means you should be fine.
Ianpeace has done this (I think I post the pic of his bike earlier in this thread).
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
It can fit other stems, they just don't look very good.
The IA stem may be a bit wide.
The stack of the clamp on the IA stem is 34.5mm so the complete bikes had the steerer cut to 34mm.
The AU stem has a stack of 32.5mm but needs a 2.5mm spacer under it to clear the nose cone. So effectively 35mm which means you should be fine.
Ianpeace has done this (I think I post the pic of his bike earlier in this thread).

Interesting. I have a pro missile eve stem, 85mm, and if I could get away without buying a new stem that'd be great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I think I finally got it: get the Stem as low as possible, cover Headtube and brake-cables with AU Hydration/Gusset and rise armrest if needed.

I meanwhile installed the Stratos with Supersonic, 35a and Ergo-Armrests and that already is pretty cool. Will keep that for this season and save the AU modifications for the winter (and 2nd gen Stem...).

Thanks for your patience and very good advise :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

Just curious, as i was looking at this similar set up (stem and tri rig front brake). can you route the front brake cable through the side of the stem and down the routing hole for the brake if using a different bar set up? Or would the angle be too great?

Any picture of inside the stem would be greatly appreciated (routed?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've installed this on my IA16, and to get it to fit well it needed a few modifications.
As standard you need to run a 5mm spacer under the stem since there is an extended section designed to hold the threaded adapter for running a centre pull brake. The section fouls on the headtube.
I grinded that part off and redrilled another hole for running the centre pull cable housing down to the tririg brake. With this gone you can run a slammed headset top cap with no spacers.

I ran the hydration for the first time on saturday - some comments.

Filling the bottle via standard water bottle - the split plastic splash guard pull out really easily when removing the bottle and the 2 bits fell on the floor.
Start cycling and the first bump I hit, one of the 2 halfs jumped out and went in the bottle - the second one followed it before I'd stopped.
I tried to fish them out but they'd sank to the bottom and its not easy to get your hand in.

Only solution was to take the hydration off and tip it all out then shake the 2 bits out. Energy drink everywhere and one bottle drained within 5 mins of starting.
I filled up again and rotated the join so its perpendicular to the bike so the straw holds it in place, but the bits still started to come out when hitting bumps.

Because there was energy drink on the slots for the hydration, as it dried it started squeaking going over bumps which made a horrible sound!

The straw is reeeeeally hard to drink out of - I popped the head past the no-flow point, but the flow is really low through the bite valve.

The bike felt really twitchy with the hydration on. I've run with a torhans aero30 before, but this felt much more unpredictable. It was pretty gusty, so will have to try this again in the future.

I'm going to try it another couple of times before giving up, but the splash guard doesnt seem like a good design - if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know!
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [paulmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don´t know the Aeria Hydration, but I use a PD FC35 and the split-plastic port and straw seem to be very similar (if not identical). Did you install the split-plastic things underneath the cover (as shown in this pic: https://www.bike24.de/p1275746.html)? If so, the cover should hold them (same with my FC).

And the bite-valve... well, pull it out of the straw... that´s what I did after approx five minutes ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohhhhhhhhh..... Yup, that's entirely my mistake then!
Do you find that the kink in the straw prevents splash out of the end without the bite valve on?
Quote Reply

Prev Next