Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 Hawaii ("Honu") VOG Update [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Air Quality for Kona today. There is now commercial monitor up near the Mauna Lani area. The air should be better up there.

https://www.airnow.gov/...=96740&submit=Go

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
Air Quality for Kona today. There is now commercial monitor up near the Mauna Lani area. The air should be better up there.

It’s better, but still voggy - the vog extends far north due to the lack of trades. I just drove to and from Hawi, and the vog is there up to the Mahukona turn. Then you hit the wind and it gets better. It’s even voggy in Waimea.

Hopefully we get some trades back. Was on the Hilo side yesterday (closer to the action), and the AQ was decent.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:

That doesn't look too good. Boarding my flight now. I hope it clears up soon.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Hawaii ("Honu") VOG Update [travisfodor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trade winds are supposed to return soon. Hopefully before Saturday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update from my wife who is in Kona and staying at Waikoloa - she has several athletes she coaches doing the "Honu" IRONMAN 70.3 race this weekend who are there with her. The tradewinds which were blowing strongly (made for completely clear days) when she first got there last week have died down, and the VOG, has returned to the Kona coast - worse to the south, better to the north as you head out to Hawi.

She's sent some pictures and if you have ever been in areas where their is forest fire smoke, it's a bit like that in terms of the look - a permanent haze, that semi blocks out the sun. No word from IRONMAN yet for the weekend.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Hawaii ("Honu") VOG Update [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Update from my wife who is in Kona and staying at Waikoloa - she has several athletes she coaches doing the "Honu" IRONMAN 70.3 race this weekend who are there with her. The tradewinds which were blowing strongly (made for completely clear days) when she first got there last week have died down, and the VOG, has returned to the Kona coast - worse to the south, better to the north as you head out to Hawi.

She's sent some pictures and if you have ever been in areas where their is forest fire smoke, it's a bit like that in terms of the look - a permanent haze, that semi blocks out the sun. No word from IRONMAN yet for the weekend.

I have a report from a friend up In Kawaihae who says the winds really picked up late last night (Tuesday night). If that holds up we should see a lifting of the horrid vog of the past couple of days. a bit before 6 am here in Kona and there's not a breath of wind though.

Madam Pele apparently didn't put Honu on her calendar of things to take a break for. :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a report from a friend up In Kawaihae who says the winds really picked up late last night (Tuesday night). If that holds up we should see a lifting of the horrid vog of the past couple of days. a bit before 6 am here in Kona and there's not a breath of wind though.

Just got word confirming this from someone within the IRONMAN organization that indeed, the Trade Winds did pick up last night and it's clear at the Race Site this morning. Looking good!

It's worth noting that the actual race site for the IRONMAN 70.3 is well north and away at Mauna Lani (about a 60 minute drive) from Kailua Town, Race Site for the IRONMAN World Championships!

The swim is at Hapuna Beach (Largest real sand beach on the Big Island)

http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz5H0Lt7I5I

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Hawaii ("Honu") VOG Update [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in Waikaloa, the winds really picked up. We arrived yesterday and it looked like LA smog. Never seen Kona and Waikaloa so ugly.
Winds woke me up and it is back to beautiful Hawaii!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly off-topic, but I'll post it here since I don't know anyone in Hawaii. I just looked at a picture and got an idea for trying to save some of the homes in the path of the lava.

https://weather.com/...mming-pool-in-hawaii

Wrap a makeshift above ground pool around the house, and if the lava doesn't breach the pool and isn't close enough to cause the home to spontaneously combust, it might just survive. Granted, you'd have a wall of volcanic rock of some height encircling your home afterwards, but...
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Hawaii ("Honu") VOG Update [Route66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By now I'm sure that pool is covered. That particular flow is rather viscous compared to other parts of this mess but it marches on anyway.

No wind in Kona again this morning and Kona looks like another very voggy bad air day. I'll be up at the Orchid this morning picking up my race id and stuff, I'll post a VOG update from there. The orchid is a good 35 miles/56+ km from Kona, the winds are usually stronger up there so hopefully things aren't nearly as bad.

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Hawaii ("Honu") VOG Update [Route66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Route66 wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but I'll post it here since I don't know anyone in Hawaii. I just looked at a picture and got an idea for trying to save some of the homes in the path of the lava.

https://weather.com/...mming-pool-in-hawaii

Wrap a makeshift above ground pool around the house, and if the lava doesn't breach the pool and isn't close enough to cause the home to spontaneously combust, it might just survive. Granted, you'd have a wall of volcanic rock of some height encircling your home afterwards, but...

Look into Control of Nature by John McPhee, describes stopping a lava flow in Iceland.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have been here since 5/23 staying in Mauna Lani. Today is nothing short of perfect...sunny and hot with 10-20 mph winds. Yesterday were some of the strongest winds I have ridden in on the Island (been coming 10 years in a row) mike post 10-Hawi was borderline dangerous. All that wind cleared out the Vog and hopefully it stays away.

The locals are calling for calm trades so let’s hope the Vog doesn’t come back and has no wind to push it out.

Kona...different story I am told.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Hawaii ("Honu") VOG Update [mrw42976] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrw42976 wrote:
We have been here since 5/23 staying in Mauna Lani. Today is nothing short of perfect...sunny and hot with 10-20 mph winds. Yesterday were some of the strongest winds I have ridden in on the Island (been coming 10 years in a row) mike post 10-Hawi was borderline dangerous. All that wind cleared out the Vog and hopefully it stays away.

The locals are calling for calm trades so let’s hope the Vog doesn’t come back and has no wind to push it out.

Kona...different story I am told.

I picked up my volunteer stuff yesterday at the Orchid. The race course was in pretty good shape vog wise. The whole area got a light rain last night as well, so I would anticipate that race day will be very close to normal if not completely normal.

For Ironman 70.3 Hawaii Normal means: A current on the swim, usually from north to south, possible choppy conditions on the long swim leg before heading back to the beach. Moderate winds at T1 through the Mauna Lani turn around (although yesterday morning the wind was howling straight down the Queen k towards the south). A warm ride to The Upolu Point airport sign (That's the bike turn around) along with cross winds and some gusts. If you're going to get rain on the bike it'll most likely be from Mahukona on the climb towards Hawi. It'll be toasty and windy on the return to T2 at the Orchid. From Kawaihae Junction to the turn into the Mauna Lani Resorts there should be about 8 hills. I haven't been riding that section in ages so I'm saying that based upon memory. I could be wrong. The run is a double loop these days. The good news is the Hell's Kitchen run is half what it used to be, the bad news is you do it twice. The golf course is humid if it rained the night before.

Oh and please be careful with your trash. They're serious about penalties for runners. Or so I'm told.

Good Luck to everyone. If you're an early arrival on the bike, I'll be out in Hell's Kitchen early making deliveries in a red Tacoma blaring whatever music I can find that has a good tempo to it.

As the 40th IMWC approaches in Mid October I'll be posting an all new Survival guide (instead of the updated version) and hopefully, the Queen K will be finished and the vog will be nothing more than a passing mention.

Aloha

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks much, appreciate the insights. Seems less hot and little wind right now in Waikaloa. Cloud cover, not vog.
Us old folks would like some Beatle music please! ;)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Hawaii ("Honu") VOG Update [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The odds of my playing anything resembling currently popular music are fairly low (though not actually zero). So you're likely to hear some Beatles.

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Jun 1, 18 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to all the Honu athletes who slogged through a voggy day at the Mauna Lani to get the race done.

The wind died down in late morning so that's why the promise of vog free skies never materialized.

And since we all now know just how accurate my vog prognostications are: I predict the 40th Ironman World Championship in October will be very voggy or stunningly clear. Or somewhere in between.

Oh and for the record: If you were running near my truck while I was delivering you got Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band in the morning as the radio stations were playing really bad music. In the afternoon it was "classic" rock.

If you're bound for the IMWC this year, congratulations. The Kona Survival guide will be up in late August or early September most likely. All new. If you're headed to another race (Challenge Roth anyone?), good luck and may your lungs be filled with vog free air.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the support.
Swim and bike seemed ideal, but I had zero run legs. Humidity? Over cooked the bike (I didn’t think so)?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Hawaii ("Honu") VOG Update [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was the hardest, most spectacular race I've ever done. There was a spot on 270 coming back from Hawi where I just had to gawk at the ocean.

Hell's kitchen wasn't bad to me, just hot. Running the fairways wasn't bad either. Those cart paths though...
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Hawaii ("Honu") VOG Update [RussTKD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bit more up and down in the cart paths for sure. Hell’s Kitchen had some air movement so wasn’t bad.
I have ridden the bike course several times and the conditions yesterday were great. Rain was not bad either. Messy, but not a negative.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the VOG update. Amazing sunset tonight at Kua no VOG & views of the top of Mauna Kea. Aloha
Quote Reply

Prev Next