Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brogala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brogala wrote:

Warning to all. DO NOT buy a speed concept. I was riding at 20ish mph when out of nowhere the rear drop out snapped. the derailleur then spun around breaking the chainstay and seatstay and bent my wheel beyond repair. Somehow I managed to get away with minor injuries, but it could have been catastrophic. I always thought that Trek was a leading manufacturer of bikes but clearly either my bike had a manufacturing flaw or their engineering department needs to put more thought into rider safety!

Hah! Funny you post this.

The same thing happened to me, but it was on a 2.5 (the aluminum frame). It was working perfectly fine when I put the bike of the car. I drove 20 minutes to the trailhead and took my bike off the rack. Low and behold, my RD was hanging by the chain.

I don't know if it's a manufacturing defect or what, but the guys in my local shop couldn't believe it. Fortunately Trek replaced it with the 7 series frame.

I'll be buying another SC because of it.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 1 - Extra long bolts for increased stack height? [Elktonkool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elktonkool wrote:
I was able to get the word from Trek tech. The shim between the stem and fork is the cause of the gap. They started including the shim to prevent the stem from damaging paint from contact. Sounds like their wholesale use of the shim is pretty new. But it is safe to ride with or without it, whichever you prefer.

Thanks for posting. I have a 2018 project one and was concerned about a gap between stem & fork after reading earlier posts. Shouldn't need to worry then. I will mention it next time I'm in LBS anyhow.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just joining the SC Family! Have a 2015 7.0 on the way from another awesome Slowtwitch member. First thing I am looking to do is replace the race lite cockpit for the Gen 2 cockpit with the mono extension. Anyone looking to sell theirs? I am unable to post in the classifieds section yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Rossguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know off the top of their heads if the geometry on the gen 2 is different from gen 1 SC9? I'm considering a 2018 model but only if I can get a bit lower up front than my gen 1 SC9 with 10/100 stem. Also, I assume the full foil base bar is a direct swap for the UCI legal version?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Anyone know off the top of their heads if the geometry on the gen 2 is different from gen 1 SC9? I'm considering a 2018 model but only if I can get a bit lower up front than my gen 1 SC9 with 10/100 stem. Also, I assume the full foil base bar is a direct swap for the UCI legal version?

The gen 2 provides more adjustability and the ability to get lower.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The geometry is a little different. I don’t know off the top of my head if the pad stack can be set lower.

When did you get your gen 1? The first ones had the 5mm spacer bonded on. I think later ones could go 5mm lower though I may be wrong! Im sure I’ve seen hacks to undermount the extensions too.

the base bars are interchangeable within each generation.

I’m not going to ask why you want to go lower. note that with the 2nd gen is harder to do the popular uptilt angles on extensions.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one of the first Gen 1 with that 5mm spacer bonded, but 5mm isn't enough additional range. I don't know for sure that I will end up lower but right now I'm as low as I can get and want my next bike to at least give me more range.

SkippyKitten wrote:
The geometry is a little different. I don’t know off the top of my head if the pad stack can be set lower.

When did you get your gen 1? The first ones had the 5mm spacer bonded on. I think later ones could go 5mm lower though I may be wrong! Im sure I’ve seen hacks to undermount the extensions too.

the base bars are interchangeable within each generation.

I’m not going to ask why you want to go lower. note that with the 2nd gen is harder to do the popular uptilt angles on extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense.

There may be aero advantages to having the basebar lower, even if the ergonomics suffer.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And yes - full foil base bar is direct fit for the UCI one. They’re 100% interchangeable.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, so my current fit on the medium gen 1 SC9 is about 520mm X (middle) and 590mm pad Y with the 10/100 stem. I'm not unhappy with the fit, been riding it for 5+ years, but I'd like the adjustment range to get down to at least 575-580mm pad Y. Anyone have a loink to the sizing chart handt? The link in Slowman's Superbike article is broken.

stevej wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Okay, so my current fit on the medium gen 1 SC9 is about 520mm X (middle) and 590mm pad Y with the 10/100 stem. I'm not unhappy with the fit, been riding it for 5+ years, but I'd like the adjustment range to get down to at least 575-580mm pad Y. Anyone have a loink to the sizing chart handt? The link in Slowman's Superbike article is broken.

stevej wrote:

Can't link it fit guide right now but on a medium frame, you can get down to 580mm pad y with a low far stem.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: May 25, 18 10:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:

stevej wrote:

Two fit documents:

Speed Concept Fit Guide: https://drive.google.com/...9N96tOWVoOHkzak9fVXM

Shortened step-by-step guide: https://drive.google.com/...9N96tZGZkSmUyMUdZREk

Can't guarantee these will stay up forever, but should be there awhile.
Last edited by: _Will_: May 25, 18 16:32
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New SC owner here, 2017 model. My question is: Where exactly do people buy SC-specific accessories? Looking for the BTA mount (or mount + bottle cage) and Draft Box 2. I can't find anything in stock anywhere online. None of the trek stores, not eBay, not ST classifieds. It's bizarre for what I thought was such a popular bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [greatland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a similar issue with finding parts/accessories for my SC. I have been able to order some random parts through a dealer in the DFW area and yesterday ordered the BTA mount and the Bontrager cage from two different websites. I will DM you with details of where I found them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greatland wrote:
New SC owner here, 2017 model. My question is: Where exactly do people buy SC-specific accessories? Looking for the BTA mount (or mount + bottle cage) and Draft Box 2. I can't find anything in stock anywhere online. None of the trek stores, not eBay, not ST classifieds. It's bizarre for what I thought was such a popular bike.

Finding them online (at least the actual Bontrager accessories) has been near impossible for me. But when I went to my local Trek shop, they've been able to find everything I wanted and get it within a week or two.

With regard to the BTA mount ... at least for me, I felt that it made the bottle cage and bottle sit up too high above my arms and the bars. I ended up making a simple custom mount to get it lower again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greatland wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, pretty sure I still have the BTA mount (no cage) around somewhere. Would you want it? Cost of shipping and it's yours. It's not doing me any good (assuming I can find it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a mount I can sell you. Pm me
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [_Will_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a brand new Bontrager BTA cage I'll let it go for $45.00, that includes shipping. PM me if interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jamie73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't post here often but I'm trying to decide between a medium or large trek SC. I'm 178cm and between sizes. What size do most people ride and what height are you?
The bike needs to be ordered in so cant try before buying.
I don't want an overly aggressive drop either so I'm leaning towards the large.

Thanks for your help
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Onion bhaji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really need to know what your pad X and Y are. I expect you can get the drop you are looking for on the medium with the right stem and spacers but you might not get enough reach depending on how long your torso is. If you currently have a bike with a fit that is decent you should measure your X/Y (from the bottom bracket to the middle and top of the pads respectively) and use that in the fit table to find the right size. You may be able to go with either M or L.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what pad x & y are, i dont go in for all that technical stuff.

But it's 52cm from tip of my adamo saddle to the front of my arm pad.

And 72cm from middle of BB to top of my saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call it "technical stuff" so much as the two critical pieces of data you need to avoid making a $5-8k mistake :)

The center of your bottom bracket is the reference point. You need to know how high the top of your pads are from there (pad Y) and how far it is to the middle of your pads (Pad X). Check out this article - https://www.slowtwitch.com/...rbike_Trek_4916.html. the two measurements in the pink boxes in the diagram are what you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m the same height and ride a medium with a medium far stem
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate.

Another question, is there an updated model speed concept on the way in the next few months?

The 7.5 is now the only model so it kinda makes sense a new one will be dropping soon. Effectively replacing the old 9 series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to be honest i wouldnt know and havent heard anything. However i think we are getting to the point of 'peak aero' as they say, and the speed concept is not only that, but has excellent storage, which is the other logical factor. If you can get a good deal i would pull the trigger.
Quote Reply

Prev Next