Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Compex Muscle Stimulator
Quote | Reply
My legs feel tired after a big training session like everyone else. I put Compressport recovery socks on after a long run or ride for example and this helps. But I'm wondering about spending money on a Compex Muscle Stimulator, there are so many programs, though Recovery is the main beneficial I'm looking at and possibly injury or cramp prevention mode, with 30 modes it can become confusing. I don't think I'm after there workout sessions, I'd rather be outside training!

Anyone had any experience or recommendations? Living in Europe, Compex #1 brand been made in France. There are a few others but had to find, most Europeans seem to trust Compex only for some reason.

I have been looking at mi-technology which enables the system to calculate your physic and learn your physiology, thus been able to prevent modes that maybe twitching too high or low for your physic, obviously there's a large increase of price for Mi. I don't want to spend too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Compex Muscle Stimulator [mortirolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortirolo wrote:
My legs feel tired after a big training session like everyone else. I put Compressport recovery socks on after a long run or ride for example and this helps. But I'm wondering about spending money on a Compex Muscle Stimulator, there are so many programs, though Recovery is the main beneficial I'm looking at and possibly injury or cramp prevention mode, with 30 modes it can become confusing. I don't think I'm after there workout sessions, I'd rather be outside training!

Anyone had any experience or recommendations? Living in Europe, Compex #1 brand been made in France. There are a few others but had to find, most Europeans seem to trust Compex only for some reason.

I have been looking at mi-technology which enables the system to calculate your physic and learn your physiology, thus been able to prevent modes that maybe twitching too high or low for your physic, obviously there's a large increase of price for Mi. I don't want to spend too much.

I have this and use it just for recovery. I like it. I can't speak to the medical side of whether it's actually helping me recover faster but I'm hopeful it does.

https://www.compexusa.com/compex-edge.html
Quote Reply
Re: Compex Muscle Stimulator [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Edge product looks the ideal solution for me price wise but this product must be for the US market only, in Europe only SP models are available which are different cheapest been €260, though I will need to read more detail about each model, anyway that's good to hear positive feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mortirolo wrote:

I have thought about Compex many times but have never pulled the trigger on one. Instead I use various self-massage tools (foam rollers, peanut, lacross balls, etc) or recovery boots. Sometimes I am too tired for the self-massage tools and just opt for the boots. The one reason I would use it would be for very specific injuries. Have you thought about boots at all?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Compex Muscle Stimulator [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boots - no I haven't, I'll look into this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A set of compression boots makes my tired legs feel much better than electric stimulation mainly from the massaging affect. To each there own though, I know plenty of college athletes that swear by electrical stimulation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
compex is expensive... you can get a generic TENS unit from walmart for $40 that does as much. better than the boots by far. cant put the boots on the glute muscles....
Quote Reply
Re: Compex Muscle Stimulator [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
compex is expensive... you can get a generic TENS unit from walmart for $40 that does as much. better than the boots by far. cant put the boots on the glute muscles....

A good E-stim machine is not simply a TENS unit. TENS is pretty much completely useless for the intended purpose of the OP. I remember JR mentioning he felt E-Stim was better for recovery and boots better for warmup, but not what research or incentives motivated those comments. I have had 2 different models of boots, and did not feel they were of much value to me. I felt much better after E-stim, but I'm sure like training and nutrition, each person has a different solution.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got it, however once I got my Normatec boots, I've never taken the Compex back out

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Compex Muscle Stimulator [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the top of the range model that wasn't wireless. Whatever one that was. It went back on day 27 of the 28 day return period. I felt like they did absolutely nothing for me. The auto feature was very conservative, to the point of feeling homeopathic in its strength. Ymmv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the Compex Sports Elite (wired version) for a couple of years. To start with the summary I don't think I would buy it again and yet I am not willing to let it go either. There may be less expensive measures one can take or use to get as good of results and the results for recovery IMO are not measurable. All I can say is that my legs feel a bit better the next day from DOMS resulting from leg day at the gym (strength training is my primary training). I use it in massage mode or active recovery mode with all nodes set about level 20 followed by light spinning for 60 minutes Monday evening after a morning leg day. I still have DOMS on Tuesday, but it does not seem to be as severe as it does when I don't use it. Perhaps roller massage would work as well, but as someone else mentioned I am usually too tired. I have not used it for anything else and always connect the nodes on my legs in the same pattern. Kind of time consuming getting it connected when really time crunched and I end up not being a consistent user.

For me the light 60 minute active recovery spin works pretty good by itself most of the time without the EMS massage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

This was going to be my comment as well.

Is there any evidence that these stimulators can help recovery/performance for endurance sport?

And more importantly, is there any evidence that there is anything about the parameters of the stimulation from something like a Compex that a regular old TENS unit can't do? Assuming the latter puts out enough current to recruit some of your muscle.
Quote Reply
Re: Compex Muscle Stimulator [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Is there any evidence that these stimulators can help recovery/performance for endurance sport?

And more importantly, is there any evidence that there is anything about the parameters of the stimulation from something like a Compex that a regular old TENS unit can't do? Assuming the latter puts out enough current to recruit some of your muscle.

As I mentioned earlier, there is NO correlation between TENS and Compex." A TENS unit stimulates the nerve endings while the EMS unit stimulates the muscles.

Although both the TENS and the EMS units transmit electrical signals, the EMS focuses on the muscle rather than the nerve ending. EMS uses a cycle of stimulation, contraction and then relaxation at intensities from 1 to 130Mh to increase blood flow to the area, which decreases inflammation and promotes healing and muscle growth. By stimulating the muscles at their basic structure, an EMS unit causes muscle contractions similar to those obtained by exercise. The EMS units are specifically used to prevent atrophied muscles or for retraining muscles, such as in an individual who has been paralyzed or partially paralyzed. In addition, EMS is used for many other applications such as range of motion improvement, increased circulatory action and the prevention of blood clots."

It seems there have been no proven studies as of this point to prove effectiveness of either, but the same can be said of the boots.
Quote Reply
Re: Compex Muscle Stimulator [tridude93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still waiting on my 6pack to show up when I use the electronic stimulation. They promised I'd look like a body builder in no time.
Quote Reply
Re: Compex Muscle Stimulator [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
synthetic wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, there is NO correlation between TENS and Compex." A TENS unit stimulates the nerve endings while the EMS unit stimulates the muscles.

Although both the TENS and the EMS units transmit electrical signals, the EMS focuses on the muscle rather than the nerve ending. EMS uses a cycle of stimulation, contraction and then relaxation at intensities from 1 to 130Mh to increase blood flow to the area, which decreases inflammation and promotes healing and muscle growth. By stimulating the muscles at their basic structure, an EMS unit causes muscle contractions similar to those obtained by exercise. The EMS units are specifically used to prevent atrophied muscles or for retraining muscles, such as in an individual who has been paralyzed or partially paralyzed. In addition, EMS is used for many other applications such as range of motion improvement, increased circulatory action and the prevention of blood clots."

It seems there have been no proven studies as of this point to prove effectiveness of either, but the same can be said of the boots.

With all due respect, I'm not sure where you're getting this information. As a starter, unless you have implanted electrodes there is no way to recruit the muscle without also recruiting sensory nerves because the sensory nerves are so much closer to the electrical field created by the surface electrodes. Secondly, when you recruit muscles with estim you are doing it by recruiting motor nerves because the threshold for generating an action potential is much lower in a nerve than it is for a muscle cell. This is why it is usually very hard if not impossible with most clinical stimulators to recruit a de-enervated muscle.

The main difference between TENS units and other types of clinical stimulators is the former lack the power to generate much current. But depending on where your nerves are relative to the placement of your electrodes, how lean you are, power of the unit, etc. It is often possible to get muscle contractions with TENS units.

And if you can do that, I would be very surprised if it is any less effective (assuming either is effective at all) than any other stimulator for recovery.

For strengthening you're going to need the higher power to recruit a significant amount of muscle to generate high forces to induce the strengthening. I have no idea how a Compex compares to clinical stimulators in that regard. A good indicator is that if it's not forcing your leg straight when stimulating the quads it's not producing very much force.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
synthetic wrote:

looks like you copy and pasted marketing crap from compex site. to me they are the same... my device stimulates the muscle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
synthetic wrote:

looks like you copy and pasted marketing crap from compex site. to me they are the same... my device stimulates the muscle

No, actually it was a TENS site without a vested interest in any product. People often confuse the two modalities and they really are 2 different animals. Different wave forms and huge differences in power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I said, I'm not saying there has been any shown value, just like Normatec and the boots. Having had both and still having the E-stim, I can speak from experience. I truly wanted both systems to do what the marketing said, but for me my experience was pretty much a money drain. On occasion I use the E-stim and have had some seemingly more rapid recovery from race efforts. Boots did little other than make me rest on the couch which was not a bad thing. I will say that the E-stim units ( have had both Compex and Globus) do patch quite a punch, and recall using my first unit purchased on a muscle program on my quads. While it was not terribly strong to my pain threshold, 2 days later I was sorer than I had ever been in my life. They pack more power than any human I've encountered can take. I actually bought my first one years ago from Simon Whitfield and he said he and his pals would put the electrodes on their abs and see who could take the most. Depending on what muscles you use it on in strength mode you sometimes DO have to immobilize the legs. I think the muscle building capability to injury/trauma recovery could be of great value, but fortunately have not had to use that.

Once again, I am not promoting either, but each person may have totally different results, even if the placebo effect.

For strengthening you're going to need the higher power to recruit a significant amount of muscle to generate high forces to induce the strengthening. I have no idea how a Compex compares to clinical stimulators in that regard. A good indicator is that if it's not forcing your leg straight when stimulating the quads it's not producing very much force.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to directly answer the OP and also give my personal observations...

the compex unit without a doubt has its benefits. its not just a placebo effect... I truly believe it works for recovery as there is a marked notice directly after usage and the day after. just using it on, say, the calves, after a hard leg / run day, my calves would feel decent whereas my whole upper legs would be sore.

my wife also noticed the effects.

we have both recovery boots (air relax) and the compex muscle stimulators. I use the recovery boots VERY often, the compex unit is sitting in a box.

why?

the compex unit takes time to dig out of the box, put the sticky pads on a very targeted muscle group, then however long the program is suppose to run for that targeted group. after that muscle group is done, move the pads around to different muscle groups, wait the allotted time... I think you get the idea.

recovery boots you simply slide your legs in them, start the program and sit there and let it do is magic on your entire legs. its much much easier with faster results for your entire leg.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Compex, Globus and MarcPro for EMS. It may be individual as others have said but I use it to flush out my legs after a long moderate effort or a hard high intensity effort. When I do it I have my legs vertical against a wall (laying on my back and I put the settings to a comfortable spot.

After using them all I opted to get the MarcPro for 2 reasons.

1. I felt their manual was easiest to use and navigate. Compex manual was like a whitepaper from a medical research laboratory and just ended up being overkill. I've also seen many Compex users I've spoken to use the MarcPro pad placements over the Compex ones
2. MarcPro was specifically designs for Recovery and nothing else. I've seen their use by Chiro and Physio professionals on numerous sports teams in the NBA, NFL and MLB. They are also sponsoring a Continental cycling team

Being in Canada I had to do some wizardry to get a unit as they were not available to ship here for some reason or another. That being said the Compex and Globus devices works, but I just found them a tad more "techie" than I required.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
synthetic wrote:

There are studies, this one is a close match to the OPs questions:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7595984 Effects of electromyostimulation and strength training on muscle soreness, muscle damage and sympathetic activation

And there are many others as well.

The only references to TENS I can find in PubMed are all in relation to treating pain, e.g.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2746624/ Effectiveness of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation for Treatment of Hyperalgesia and Pain
Abstract
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is a nonpharmacologic treatment for pain relief. TENS has been used to treat a variety of painful conditions....
Quote Reply
Re: Compex Muscle Stimulator [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
to directly answer the OP and also give my personal observations...

the compex unit without a doubt has its benefits. its not just a placebo effect... I truly believe it works for recovery as there is a marked notice directly after usage and the day after. just using it on, say, the calves, after a hard leg / run day, my calves would feel decent whereas my whole upper legs would be sore.

my wife also noticed the effects.

we have both recovery boots (air relax) and the compex muscle stimulators. I use the recovery boots VERY often, the compex unit is sitting in a box.

why?

the compex unit takes time to dig out of the box, put the sticky pads on a very targeted muscle group, then however long the program is suppose to run for that targeted group. after that muscle group is done, move the pads around to different muscle groups, wait the allotted time... I think you get the idea.

recovery boots you simply slide your legs in them, start the program and sit there and let it do is magic on your entire legs. its much much easier with faster results for your entire leg.

Near identical experience. Was happy with my air relax, but fell for Compex’s marketing as their stuff is always on sale. If you are looking to buy, wait until it’s at least 60% off.

Can’t say that one is better the other, but Compex is a PITA to set up.

Have not tried it for anything beyond the recovery. I’m likely missing out on some benefits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
iIt seems there have been no proven studies as of this point to prove effectiveness of either, but the same can be said of the boots.

There is a study out and it has been out for a while, I would have to dig it up. I should, but it is late and my boots session is almost over ;)

But seriously, the study looked at range of motion in athletes. In short, athletes who used recovery boots had a greater range of motion than the non-boot wearers. I can't remember who funded the study, and I occasionally I chat with Normatec to see what is new. I would like to try out estim a bit too and I can think of two areas right now on my body that maybe it could do a better job at, or at least as effective a job as boots or balls, but like a few other posters have corroborated with me, the boots are just too easy. Yes sometimes I feel lazy. There was a point in 2016 where I was only using boots and not foam rolling at all and I definitely had to make it an priority to get back to foam rolling certain spots. Tonight I probably should have rolled, but I am in the boots and cleaning my inbox... it really is just too convenient.

Boots is the one item that it seems like every single pro athlete I know uses whether they are supported or not - very few athletes actually are supported. The amount of free press Normatec gets from celebrities (from Lebron to Snoop Dogg) is astonishing. If a study came out and said they were ineffective I would be surprised. As a minimalist who travels light, I can't believe that I have never once not traveled with boots since 2016. Every single plane ride, car trip, etc it was either bringing boots with me or I was going to be staying somewhere where someone else had boots for me to use.

But you remind me, I should really give estim a shot. I am all about the biggest recovery toolbox and there is no reason to shun estim.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

I have looked into TENS and even doing a review of TENS/Estim. Unfortunately I have never pulled the trigger. Came close when I pulled my back in Nov 2016 but never did. I do have two small niggles, one I think estim/tens could help and I might give it a try and I am of course always interested in saving a few bucks too Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Thomas, let me try to help here. TENS or (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) is simply a disruption of the sensory nerves nothing more. Example- when you hit your funny bone you rub the area fast to try and stop the sting, tens is the same thing. Its blocking pain back to the brain by disrupting your sensory nerves. Compex offers a TENS only device for $69 buck and a TENS program in our inline range. NMES (Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation) actually can activate and recruit your ST fibers (Endurance program), FT type 2a (Resistance program) and 2b fibers (strength and explosive strength programs). The average human can only recruit and isolate about 20-30% of a muscle group, with Compex we can select the fibers you want to recruit and hit them right away to 100% recruitment.

Long story short, when using the recovery program use Training Recovery (formerly labeled active recovery) you will clear lactic acid in 7 minutes (clinically proven under 7 minutes) however you MUST see muscle twitches (shaking of the muscle. This program starts at 8hrz and ends a 1 hrz, the reason you clear the lactic acid so fast is because you are at 8 hrz which is right below a tetanic contraction which starts at 10hrz. The massage program will not clear lactic acid its simply a light blood flow program to relax a muscle group.

Used correctly I assure you Compex will help you get stronger, perform better, and recover faster. Message me with any questions I would love to help you
Quote Reply

Prev Next