Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: May Fish Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I'm so proud of my 30x100 last week, hoping to do something similar tomorrow, and soon it will be time to chop the interval from 2:00 to 1:55. Excellent.

that's great!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full report to come. Short report.

RealAB is overall masters Canadian Champ in 200IM, 100 fly, 200 fly, 800 free, 1500 free....I may have missed a few as I have lost track of all his wins.

The overall Canadian Champ takes me under his wing, me the last place finisher in almost all my events.....100 fly, 200 fly, 100 IM, 200 IM, 400 IM, 400 free, 1500 free. Day 3 was the hard day.....400IM, 200 fly, 1500 free...I screwed up on the 400 IM and got DQ'd with a leg spasm issue on the breast leg....oh well, but I got my 400 IM time down to 7:22. My 200 fly was my "A race" and I out touched my competition pacing perfectly and surging in the last 25m. Time was only 3:30, but it felt hard at altitude.

yes, my times are slow, but you start somewhere. I will get better with another year in the dolphin tank.....next year's goals to be 200 fly down below 3:15, 400 IM below 7 min and 200 IM down below 3:15. If I get a laser spine surgery, I can easily get there once my left leg starts working like a real human. In the mean time, it's like racing with 3.5 good limbs with half of my left leg being a drag chute on every stroke!!!

Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every bit of that is pretty friggin' cool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice mate! Well done.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go Dev, and great you got to hang out with Bo and watch real swimmers crush it!!

Drizzling outside and I was just cold, so went to the hot tub to see if I could motivate for a short swim. Got this in:

10x100, odds breast @1;50/evens free@1;40(free 1;25 to 1;22)(breast-1;37 to 1;34)
5x100IM kick@2;00(1;54 to 1;51)
500p(6;29)
2000SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
đź‘ŤCongratulations dev ,big Kudos to you to go there knowing your not the fastest but competing for the love of competition. I hope to follow your footsteps in a few years. đź‘Ť

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well my coach finally got back into the water with me today after surgery ( 6 weeks ago) to reconnect his hamstring to his glute. I'll set the stage for you he can only can kick with one leg and can only touch turn with a one leg push off and solidly put me back in my place.

800m warm up choice
8 x 50m @ 60

Main set descend from set to set.
8 x 200m @ 3:00 , 2:44/2:48
8 x 100m @ 1:40 , 1:19/1:21
8 x 75m @ 1:15 , :59/1:02
16 x 50m @ :50 , :38/ :41

Cool down 300m
5300m.

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the good wishes, but really this is a colective team effort by all you guys trying to help me go from a deer floundering upstream to some type of a aquatic mammal. Monty, you are right, that hanging out with top swimmers like Bo was really helpful. Little tips from top swimmers really made a diff in the event (200 fly) that out touched the other guy for the medal. I was so excited that I spent 100 minutes back in the pool this morning at the Repsol center trying to incorporate all the great advice.

But seriously, why did I take so long to go in some swim meets. Unlike FOP roadies who give you attitude (sorry for anyone who is a FOP roadie), FOP swimmers of all forms are totally inviting (as all of you have been on these threads) to get other multi sport athletes in the start blocks. Hopefully more tri guys join me. I realize I was "forced" into learning all this swimmer stuff, but it has been a very enjoyable exercise as you guys can likely tell from these threads.

Dev

PS. In my usual over training mode, I sat on the spin bike daily at the center for around 20-30 min easy spinning. This morning after the racing I did nearly an hour with minimal leg spasms....will try getting back on the bike to commute to the pool when I get home
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kept myself dry yesterday, Monday I noticed an internal suture got pushed out if the incision site. Irritating as hell, the doc removed it and advised I stay out of the pool for the day so I ran and rode instead.

This morning's effort was 2,500 scy, with a (for me) ridiculous amount of kicking.
w/u
400 easy
m/s
3 x (300 + 4 x 50 kick)
4 x 100 w/paddles
w/d
4 x 50 ascending

4 mile run planned for lunch time.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally managed to get myself out of bed for a swim before work today.

I swam: 400 warm up
300 kicking (I don't know what it's called in English - even though I'm English - when you kick on your front, then side, then back, then other side)
15x100m arriving 1:38-1:41 leaving on 2:00
600m drills
200m out.

I am swimming much more than I usually do, and my shoulders, lats and arms are so damn tired!
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5k easy easy easy run
1725 yd swim

3 x [500 desc + 50 kick] 7:19, 6:56, 6:39
50 swim
25 kick c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally got to the point (as an ex, now re-fish) that I can post here without feeling too embarrassed. Monday was sprint day, so:
400 swim FS/BK
200 kick
200 pull
100 drill
100 swim
Main set:
2x of
2x 4x 10s on/off vertical kick, 25m sprint 25 easy (+10s)
12x50 as sprint FS, drill, kick @ 1:30, holding 30s for the sprints
200 kick
200 swim
All LCM (pool in the U.K., no chance of SCY at all!)
Then yesterday it was kick set day:
300 FS/BK
200 pull
100 drill
100 swim

10x50 underwater fly kick alternating front and back @70
5 mins vertical kick as :15 on, 15 off
30x50 @ 50, as 25 hard, 25 easy, sprinting every 5th (holding 35s on the sprints)
All done with fins

200 kick
200 swim

And then in a couple of weeks I’m done with university for the year and I can go back to super painful sets

And @Dr Tigerchik, out of curiosity what’s with the 25y cool downs? I’ve always been told longer cool downs make you a faster swimmer.

Disclaimer: Not a triathlete anymore, just a fish
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [tomoffat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And @Dr Tigerchik, out of curiosity what’s with the 25y cool downs? I’ve always been told longer cool downs make you a faster swimmer.

If I had time for a longer c/d, I'd do one :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

More importantly...that means you are getting out on the WRONG end of the pool. :=)
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

More importantly...that means you are getting out on the WRONG end of the pool. :=)

preach brother. preach,

I've had words with TC over this egregious behaviour, and yet she persists (purely to spite me, I'm sure)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as yesterday, felt cold all morning, so sat in the hot tub for 20 minutes and then felt like a short swim:

4x(300s/150IM kick@3;15) swim@1;30 base(4;16) 3-pulls@1;25 base(3;59/3;52/3;46) kicks(2;56/51/48/44)
100s@1;30(1;21)100 dolphin(2;01)
2000SCY
Last edited by: monty: May 23, 18 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

preach brother. preach,

I've had words with TC over this egregious behaviour, and yet she persists (purely to spite me, I'm sure)

I heard FINA has been checking out these threads and they are just shortening every race Dressel is in by 25m just to save his chasers the futile effort of closing that gap. There is some FINA confusion about how the Dr. Tigerchik system will be applied in LCM competitions.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
always reading, never posted. so grateful for this thread over the years; too bad some think it's a fb page or blog.
so helping in keeping it just
In Reply To:
workouts
. : )

wu: 400 fr 100 bck
ms:
4 x 50 fly
3 x 100 fr
4 x 50 bck
3 x 100 fr
4 x 50 br
3 x 100 fr
4 x 50 fr
3 x 100 fr

10 x 50 fr (im up, fr down)

8 x 50 kk 25 ez 25 sprts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same workout as before...just a tad faster. I think I may have found a pace that may take a couple of sessions to get beyond. Getting through #14 was "everything". I could feel the turnover slowing down, and my elbows dropping----I just couldn't "fix" it.

3x100 WU
30x50 usrpt @ 49s (20s rest): failed at 14, and 23...probably would have failed at 31, whew!
100 CD
--------------
1800scy

My lats and triceps were crushed getting out. But, I'm pretty happy with the above.

I got back into the water on May 8th for the first time since December 12th. On May 8th, I managed 950 yards, mostly as 50s, and a couple 100s. Mostly over 2:10-15 pace and lots of rest. Two weeks (16 days) / 8 swims / 10,000 scy later: I just completed 26x50s, each at 1:38 / 100 pace with 20s rest. Even the two failures were at 1:42 pace.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Hi TC, hope your hamstring is starting to feel better. I felt a bit like a fish again today, so I'm allowing myself to post!!

10k easy run and 2k swim. Did a version of the guppy wk1 workout 1.

6x50 w/up
6x100 - 25 1-arm pull, 25 free
6x150 - free
200m easy alternating 50 kick, 50 pull.

I'm now swimming outside in a 50m stainless steel heated pool until the end of Sept and it's wonderful.

Hey can you post pics of that pool...we are jealous.

So on the masters Swim Ontario Facebook page there is a bit of a smackdown brewing between some of the guys who do 200 fly and 400IM.

So one of the guys did the 800m free as 800IM and now he is trying to rope in enough victims to get a full heat of 800IMers.

So guess what my A events will be next year? You got it....200 fly, 400IM, 800IM, plus 200IM, 400 free and 1500 free.

So today's main set...3x200IM, 3x400IM, 3x200IM, 1x200 fly!!!

My next event will likely be the 11k openwater swim from Kingston Ontario to Wolf island. The short race is a direct 5K line. The 11K has 2 loops of 3k of an island along the way. Early July and I will do the wetsuit division
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another day another swim, today at the outdoor pool after work.

400m warm up
3x300m flippers 25m kicking/25 Swim
10x100m pull leaving on 1:50
100 easy
5x100 snorkel leaving on 2:00
100 easy
5x100 swim
100 out

3600 LCM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good OWS practice this morning. I shared a lane with a lady who couldn't figure out how to keep her feet/legs on her side of the lane. Thankfully she didn't kick too hard.

2,600 scy
w/u
400 (build each 100 x 25)
12 x 50
-odds cruise
-evens hard
m/s
2 x (300 + 4 x 100 w/buoy)
w/d
200 mixed

2 mile shuffle during lunch, just as the sun rises in the east, my shins are exploding upon returning to run.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of you talking about outdoor pool swimming are getting me excited. I have one more month to wait but after that I have a pool that has daily 90 min lane swim that is 1k from where we set up our new office. No I did not pick the office location based on that pool...I promise it is just a wild coincidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WU:
200 ez
2x50 (supposed to be kick....didn't feel like it, just swam)
2x100 as 50-single-arm/50-swim

MS:
10x100 @1:48 (20s)

CD:
200ez
--------------
1700 scy

Today was my first attempt at doing a set of 100s this year. Interestingly, that's only 3 seconds off where I was before my A-race last October for the same set.

Planning on swimming again tomorrow. That will be 3 days (4x this week) in a row, another first for this year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next