More than 1 head unit?

multi focal contacts an option? changed my life a few years ago when the near vision began failing.

if I saw a guy riding with multiple head units I would quickly assume he is a douche.
By which the rest of us can deduce who the “douche” really is.

I have a similar problem and have solved it (for now) by using Rudy project custom sport reader glasses.

http://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/readerslanding

What about one of the massive, Garmin 1000 - sized units. As big as a cell phone, practically. Not big enough?

I don’t understand why celL phones aren’t used more? Far better everything than a Garmin and these days plenty of battery.

“I’m going to go with battery life for $200, Alex.”

https://vista.today/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/alex-trebek-pic.jpg

For longer rides and when I’m not familiar with the course I will keep my head Unit on the course map and rely on my watch for power and HR.

I don’t like cycling through screens to wait to find my real time power or hr. And it really stinks to miss a turn.

I would be very happy with a small light unit that only provides course instruction. One that I could tuck in behind the main head unit. Or better yet a split screen with one or two metrics on top and a map on the bottom.

I use “reader” sunglasses for my old age vision problems. xx2i has polarized ones fairly cheap.
Problem solved!

do you drive with readers?

I have old-ass eyes as well (my contact lenses make me need +2 readers at my desk)…

Happy to know I’m not the only one that wears contacts to avoid wearing glasses, but still ends up wearing glasses most of the day.

I race with a Garmin 810 and 920 but I only look at the 810 while racing. The 920 is on my wrist for the swim, run and total time. I don’t bother taking it off for the bike.

How many other racers do this? In my last race I realized how cumbersome and annoying it was to keep rotating my left arm inwards to look at my numbers.

I do this with my Garmin 500 and 920. The 920 is for capturing race data with splits, to be saved and downloaded. I turn the 500 on before they kick us out of the transition area before the race (I have the auto-shutdown turned off) and use that for easy to see bike data; this file gets dumped

I’m using a Fenix 5X on my wrist with iPhone in my back jersey pocket. The voice feature of the iPhone calls out Watts, heart rate and average speed so I never look at my watch on the bike.

Then I have my Garmin 705 mounted to the Hydration between my hands and have Speed, Cadence, Distance on that one to look at.

Three fields still has a large enough font for me.

I use “reader” sunglasses for my old age vision problems. xx2i has polarized ones fairly cheap.
Problem solved!

I have driven with my Tifosi readers but I don’t like to.

Problem solved!

I have driven with my Tifosi readers but I don’t like to.

my point is this: i have readers, and you can’t drive with them. i have distance glasses, but you can’t read with them. my sunglasses are progressives, that’s what i drive with. this is the only prescription that would work for what i’m talking about. so, either you ride with progressive prescription lenses or you need head units you can read without glasses.

if there is some other solution i’m happy to hear it. but unless i just missed the memo there is no such thing as one lens, one prescription, that works for both reading and distance, beyond either bifocals or progressives.

which means a bigger head unit. or 2 head units. or a head unit that cycles between screens. or you just limit yourself to 2 or at the most 3 metrics.

i hear ray’s complaint about keeping them charged. so, maybe 1 big head unit. but i don’t know why a simple head unit that is just bigger isn’t on the market. i don’t want to spend $600 for a head unit. honestly, i don’t care about uploading my ride to strava. which means i don’t really much care if i have a GPS in it. i just want to be able to read the mofo. happy to have an old style magnet on the wheel for velocity-based metrics.

so, is there just a dumb slave LARGE head unit out there? that picks up and displays signals from my peripherals on the bike?

While my long vision is ok, it is not great either. So I usually where bifocals for driving and general use. I never feel I need a prescription for riding, only seeing those little numbers on that tiny screen.

OK, I understand where you are coming from with the readers issue. My far vision is fine I just can’t see up close any more so the standard reader sunglasses work for me.

Without glasses - I use a garmin 810 on the bike with the top two files as big as they can go and then four smaller fields under them. The two big fields are power and ave power on the first page, power and lap ave power on the second page. Those are the 2 pages I use the most.

Since those two metrics are the most important to me while riding/racing, I can make everything else small. Would you think that the biggest fields on the Garmin 810 would be big enough for you? Do you need more metrics that are larger or maybe don’t like switching pages?

What about one of the massive, Garmin 1000 - sized units. As big as a cell phone, practically. Not big enough?

I don’t understand why celL phones aren’t used more? Far better everything than a Garmin and these days plenty of battery.

Your rides are more than 12 hours? Wow impressive…

So you’re getting 12 hours of battery life on a smartphone running apps, with backlight always on, with location services on, and Bluetooth or whatever else running???

Sure.

Why are you speaking for everybody else? Is it so that you feel better about insinuating that I am a douche? Or are you arrogant enough to think that everyone shares your opinion. Speak for yourself mate, it all safe in here.

I do run 2 head units at times, partially for the ability to have all the data I want on screen all the time and partially because I don’t always trust my second unit, Bryton 330. I primarily used a Garmin 310 XT until the power button started to fail. I just leave it on all the time, sitting on the charger now, but if it got drained or turned off and I couldn’t get it turned back on, I needed something else. I got a Bryton 330, which I like for the most part, but have had some issues getting data off. So, if I’m going on a ride where I really don’t want to lose the data, I’ll but both on. And I found that for racing, I like to have both. Bryton is on an out front mount and the Garmin goes on the handlebars.

So you’re getting 12 hours of battery life on a smartphone running apps, with backlight always on, with location services on, and Bluetooth or whatever else running???

Sure.

How long you worked at Garmin?

iPhone 8 13 hours play back test

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/battery-life-on-2017-iphones-comparing-iphone-8-iphone-8-plus-and-iphone-x/

I don’t know but I’ve found watching Netflix etc I can easily get 6+hours which I’m guessing is more than enough for most people’s rides.

Just seems we are all locked into this mindset that you need a Garmin or wahoo or whatever when the most feature packed and aerodynamic head unit is sitting in your pocket.

I’m just that arrogant 😉

Sure.

https://www.google.com.au/...8-plus-and-iphone-x/

I don’t know but I’ve found watching Netflix etc I can easily get 6+hours which I’m guessing is more than enough for most people’s rides.

Just seems we are all locked into this mindset that you need a Garmin or wahoo or whatever when the most feature packed and aerodynamic head unit is sitting in your pocket.

Where did I say you needed a Garmin or anything?

I simply said you’re not getting 12 hours of battery life. You’re also not getting 6 hours using it as a bike computer. Those tests and your personal Netflix anecdote are great and all but…

50% brightness as run in those tests isn’t going to cut it outside in the bright sun.
Bluetooth wasn’t running. So if the phone needs to connect to any sensors on bike or body, BT needs to be on.
Location services wasn’t on, which is something you need if you want to use any type of GPS app functionality.
Hot temps outside.

I tried to use my iPhone 7+ as a bike computer once and it lasted about 90 minutes with brightness set high, screen always on, BT running to connect to power meter and HR, Strava app running for metrics/GPS, location services on, and in 90+ degree heat. Meanwhile my bike computer lasts like 15+ hours doing the same thing.

Sure.

https://www.google.com.au/...8-plus-and-iphone-x/

Where did I say you needed a Garmin or anything?

I simply said you’re not getting 12 hours of battery life. You’re also not getting 6 hours using it as a bike computer. Those tests and your personal Netflix anecdote are great and all but…

50% brightness as run in those tests isn’t going to cut it outside in the bright sun.
Bluetooth wasn’t running. So if the phone needs to connect to any sensors on bike or body, BT needs to be on.
Location services wasn’t on, which is something you need if you want to use any type of GPS app functionality.
Hot temps outside.

I tried to use my iPhone 7+ as a bike computer once and it lasted about 90 minutes with brightness set high, screen always on, BT running to connect to power meter and HR, Strava app running for metrics/GPS, location services on, and in 90+ degree heat. Meanwhile my bike computer lasts like 15+ hours doing the same thing.

The battery life of the 8 is much better than the 7 but I will try it this weekend to see how it goes. I always have Bluetooth, wifi and location services turned on with screen at 100% brightness and for a normal business trip which involves 1hr taxi web surfing/emailing, 1 hour in the lounge web surfing/emailing, 4.5 flight using phone with wifi to connect to planes IFE and then another hour taxi ride from airport to destination and have plenty of charge-that’s pretty intensive use over a 6 hour period.