Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long course bike shorts
Quote | Reply
Hey!

I'm training for Ironman Florida and getting a jump on what to race in, so I am looking for a good pair of bike shorts or some sort of bottom. My mind is pretty made up that I would rather race in a two piece kit so I can wear my team's tri top, but open to suggestions.

Also, any training tips or race day tips, I'm all ears:)

~Marcy
Quote Reply
Re: Long course bike shorts [Triteacher86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Florida last year as my first IM. My goal way to finish so I wasn't too worried about transition times. I did a full change in T1...I wore cycling bibs and a bike jersey (my team's tri top pocket was too small to fit Honey Stinger waffles in so I wanted to pocket space and I wanted to make sure I didn't sunburn my lower back). I then did a full change into tri shorts and a running singlet in T2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I all the IM races I did except one, I wore DeSoto tri shorts. The one I didn't, I wore regular cycling shorts and that didn't work out so well being aero for 112 miles.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a chammy on tri shorts is best bc less chafe-causing friction. I've raced 112 in different brands of tri shorts (De Soto, Soas) and also done long rides in tri shorts (112-135 on brands like Pearl Izumi and SFQ). Tri shorts are fine, and actually better. I can't comfortably ride on bike short pad for very long. If you work up through the distances on your long rides in tri shorts, you'll be fine on race day.

And for the the love of God, please don't race in an actual bike jersey, especially if you're wearing an aero helmet or using race wheels because it completely cancels out any aero/speed benefits from either of those. Exception of course is an aero top, which are great because not only are they aero (hence the name) but they typically provide much more sun protection than standard tri top.

If you're team's kit has cheap tri shorts that won't cut it for a full, some higher quality brands offer plain black tri shorts that should pair (Pearl Izumi, Wyn Republic)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is good to think about this early in your training because shorts can be a very personalized choice.

I race long course in tri shorts. I did my first Ironman in bike shorts and I had always figured that they were much more comfortable. For my second Ironman I wanted to speed up that first transition and not do a change in t1. I still remember doing my first 80 mile ride in tri shorts. I was expecting massive discomfort and instead I was actually much more comfortable. The larger chamois was causing friction later in the ride. Surprised the crap out of me to be honest. I know other people don't have this experience so maybe try it and see how you feel.

I am personally very sensitive to stitching around the chamois so I choose the Coeur Sports tri short.

A quick note about Ironman Florida. Anytime there is sandy salt water for the swim I will do the swim in a swim bottom and then change to my tri shorts in transition. That way I don't have shorts full of salt and sand for 112 miles. I'm just not quite that tough.

Good luck and have fun. I'll be volunteering this year at Ironman Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: Long course bike shorts [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there. Kebby with Coeur Sports (https://www.coeursports.com/) here. We have to (not surprisingly) second the choice for Tri Shorts. The chamois in pretty much all the tri brands is designed to dry quickly and be used for swimming, biking, and running so you don't lose time in transitions. We (again not surprisingly) have put a lot of thought into our shorts and recommend them for any distance. To be fair though, there are several other terrific women's specific (and woman-owned) brands out there too like Betty and Smash (both owners are great).

p.s. Thanks Miami Amy for being a customer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So there are lots of good ideas here and you will decide what works for you. I'll tell you what I did for the three times that I did iron distance events.
I used a bikini bottom and a run bra under my wet suit. Changed into Louis Garneau cycling shorts and a tri top in T1. Then changed shorts into tri shorts in T2. I was more comfortable wearing cycling shorts for a 6+ hour ride, and didn't want to run the marathon with the thicker and sweaty chamois.
One related question for you alone to answer is what your plans for peeing while riding are. If you are planning to "just go" while riding, a change in T2 will definitely be more comfortable. But even if you use the port o potties for that necessity, it is more comfortable to start the run with a drier 'bottom' and might prevent uncomfortable chafing.
How competitive you are and whether you are looking for a podium, a Personal Best or a just finish can all factor into it. Experiment in training and you will figure it out. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to share another option that I found.

I just purchased the Sheebeest Tri short Bibs. They have the thin tri shorts chamois but in the bib style shorts. I've only used them for one sprint but plan to use them next weekend at the Honu 70.3. If all goes well with the tri bib shorts at the 70.3 distance, I plan to use them for Santa Rosa 140.6 next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Long course bike shorts [Kebby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response, Kebby! I already am a Coeur customer and fan of the tri shorts! They are my go to in Duathlons or training rides in this Louisiana heat. I want to find something with a little more padding than a tri short does. But I do look forward to ordering from y'all again in the future!
~Marcy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your feedback. It has given me a lot to think about and various options to try during training. This is my first IM and my goal is to finish and enjoy the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wear the tight stretchy cycling shorts when I ride except for when I just pull out the uni for a quick goof around ride.

Yes they make a difference. They hold things in place so I don't have to worry about sitting on the bits I don't want to sit on. They help prevent chafing that you can get from leg openings in the tighty whities. For long rides they are very important.

The shorts need to fit snug. One problem is that people get the shorts too big so they are too loose. The shorts are worn next to the skin (no underwear). For the padded shorts you can put Chamois BUTT'r on the pad to further reduce chafing or skin irritation.

There are lots of different styles of padded shorts. Different brands have different shapes for the pad. As you spend more you get a different material in the pad. You'll have to experiment and find what fits you and suits you best. You can also try unpadded shorts that are the same tight stretchy style. The unpadded shorts are often used by triathletes and runners.

I often wear loose out shorts over the cycling shorts. You just want to find outer shorts that won't bunch up when you sit on the seat.

If you have a Supergo or Performance Bike nearby you can get an inexpensive pair of cycling shorts to try before going with a $50+ pair.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It seems, in fact, as though the second half of a man`s life is made up of nothing, but the habits he has accumulated during the first half.
All the best,Vityno
My current project: https://diceus.com/
Last edited by: Vityno: Jul 13, 18 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use the Coeur shorts to race in. Usually wear a sports bra and the shorts under the wetsuit/swim skin for the swim, put on a zip up aero jersey top with my nutrition already in the pockets for the bike, and if it is warm go back to just the sports bra on top for the run. I do also have a pair of Castelli shorts that are pretty good for long training bike rides when I need a bit more cushion, but I could never run in them, if I were to wear in a race I would definitely switch to running shorts.
Quote Reply