Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
I wonder if my stroke would even be recognizable as freestyle compared to hers?

If the video showed the underwater portion of her stroke, and it was compared with mine, you would have no clue that we were doing the same sport. That is one of the most dominating events I've ever seen at the world class level.

I could have raced her over the last 100m (from a dive) and I would have lost by 20 seconds.

I am a man and swam distance races for a Div. I college. (Albeit not a very competitive one).

Ledecky went through the 400 at a little faster than my PR for 400M.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think you are aware, but she doesn't need the money. //

A lot of you like to point this out, you know who else doesn't need money, LeBron, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Snoop Dog, Michael Phelps, Tom Brady, Jeff Bezos, and just about every other top pro athlete or business person that negotiates their contracts for every last dollar. Why is it we think she is any different, in wanting to earn her own money?? I dont get it, you all think she has just given up on earning her own way in life because her family is rich?? I have found that driven athletes who succeed in sport, are usually the opposite. Competitive in sport, competitive in finance. But maybe you all know something I dont, that is entirely possible...(-;

This was in the discussion about shaving down the WR a second at a time. That is why he financial situation matters. LeBron is not going to intentionally miss a lay up so he can grab the rebound for a triple double bonus.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:

I think you're imagining the oldest trick in the swimmer playbook. On a descend set, people sandbag the first few repeats, and then look up at the clock on a few repeats and stop short of the wall to get a slower time to descend the subsequent repeats.

I would never, ever do such a thing /pink
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 17, 18 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may or may not have done that very thing this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sick....just sick.....and she finished and took a few breaths like 'Ok i am a little winded' I was gasping for breath just watching that!!:)))))

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incredible.

Her first 100m split was 58.50. In the 1500. How many Slowtwitchers have EVER swam a 100 that fast? My guess is very few, maybe those who swam competitively in high school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know these are fast times she is swimming, but is it because she wins by so much, or she is a woman, or what exactly?? A couple guys I swam against in high school swam as fast as she did, and that was 1975 or so. And you can subtract many many seconds from the old tech conditions they swam under..

And yes, I'm being sarcastic and obnoxious, but the part about 1970's high schoolers beating her is true....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know these are fast times she is swimming, but is it because she wins by so much, or she is a woman, or what exactly?? A couple guys I swam against in high school swam as fast as she did, and that was 1975 or so. And you can subtract many many seconds from the old tech conditions they swam under..
/////////

Ledecky went 15:20.48

The world record progression for Men’s 1500m (around Ledecky’s time:)
8-25-74 - 15:31 Tim Shaw
1-25–75 - 15:27 Stephen Holland
6-21-75 - 15:20.91 Tim Shaw
2-27–76 - 15:10 Stephen Holland (AUS) n

It is amazing to me that the WR went from 15:57 in 1970, to 14:58 in 1980.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: May 17, 18 15:35
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6-21-75 - 15:20.91 Tim Shaw //

He and Brian Goodell were the kids I swam with back in high school, believe Brian went low 15 minutes while in HS too. Tim was a year younger than I was but older than Brian. They had an epic 500 race when they were both on one year, cannot recall exactly, but I think 4;19 to 4;21...Pretty incredible when you think about it was in the mid 70's and these two kids in HS from Southern California were the best in the world at the time...

Congratulations, you teased out my little riddle I put out there, well most of it...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it's fast, but a lot others are too. In a year or so we will see the record broken again by some young gal. Maybe next time it will be done under 15, and the gal will become a member of the long course minute club.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could do that Fly... went within .1 of that at Youth Nationals at 16.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: May 17, 18 17:33
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SCM yes, LCM will take a few years to chop 20 more seconds off.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariarne_Titmus

This is the next one in women's distance.... 4:00.9 400 & 8:20 800 at the Commonwealth Games

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The drop in times from the 1972 1500m to the 1976 champion was over 40 seconds. It hasn't dropped that much since....

I'ts because of goggles.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
I could do that Fly... went within .1 of that at Youth Nationals at 16.

Yes, and so can some kids in my daughter's high school swim squad. :) But SLOWTWITCHERS? I guarantee there are only a few.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://swimswam.com/...t-400-ever-in-357-9/

Ledecky uncorked a 3:57.94 in the 400 freestyle, breaking her own U.S. Open Record while registering the 2nd fastest swim of all-time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 1500 top times list is basically a Katie Ledecky PR tracker right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
6-21-75 - 15:20.91 Tim Shaw //

He and Brian Goodell were the kids I swam with back in high school, believe Brian went low 15 minutes while in HS too. Tim was a year younger than I was but older than Brian. They had an epic 500 race when they were both on one year, cannot recall exactly, but I think 4;19 to 4;21...Pretty incredible when you think about it was in the mid 70's and these two kids in HS from Southern California were the best in the world at the time...

Congratulations, you teased out my little riddle I put out there, well most of it...(-;

Amazing 500 time at 4:19 when you compare Cameron Dye's H.S. record was about 4:36'ish...and went on to become one of triathlon's "super swimmers" for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS. Her time in this meet would have placed her 3rd in the men's field.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PS. Her time in this meet would have placed her 3rd in the men's field.
KS //

Ok, but this meet is really a glorified dual meet, very few swimmers get to actually swim from a few 6 person(scoring) teams I think? I would have been 38th... (-;

Now 3rd in an actual trials meet, or even top 10 overall, that would be something. Like Paula's 11 overall at Kona...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing that amazing me about these top swimmers simply do things that I cannot do AT ALL, under any circumstances. What I mean by that is, she swam that 1500m at 55ish per 100y, or 27 per 50y, or 13 / 25y. I can't do any of those not even once.

I can run as fast as a marathoner, and I can put out the same watts as a tour rider on a long-climb. For me, those things are very HARD efforts. Obviously, I can't do them as long as they can....but, I CAN do it.

But, I can't come close to swimming Katie's (or any other REAL swimmer's) distance pace, even as a dead sprint. I think my lifetime best all-out 25y sprint is like 17s...still 4 seconds off Katie's mile pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think you are aware, but she doesn't need the money. //

A lot of you like to point this out, you know who else doesn't need money, LeBron, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Snoop Dog, Michael Phelps, Tom Brady, Jeff Bezos, and just about every other top pro athlete or business person that negotiates their contracts for every last dollar. Why is it we think she is any different, in wanting to earn her own money?? I dont get it, you all think she has just given up on earning her own way in life because her family is rich?? I have found that driven athletes who succeed in sport, are usually the opposite. Competitive in sport, competitive in finance. But maybe you all know something I dont, that is entirely possible...(-;

Shaquille O'Neill is doing commercials for "The General"? Every time one of those comes on I think, "Why the heck does he even bother?"
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I just saw a commercial with Tom Selleck selling reverse mortgages. Man that guy is a good actor, but for the life of me, cannot understand why he is selling this stuff to old and impressionable blue hairs.. It is not like he is not on a hit show at the moment, and I'm sure getting residuals form several others..
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming has the motor learning aspect that few other sports have, whereas running is a natural motion for humans and cycling is very constrained in terms of technique and ROM. Running and cycling are easy to pick up, swimming is not (just ask AOS). I grew up swimming, but with just a few years of training, I made my first BQ as a 34 year-old (first marathon 3:5x, 7th marathon 3:09.xy).

Top swimmers not only have huge engines, but they also have strength and really good technique, intrinsic motivation, and many are blessed with being tall. Definitely the 10,000 hours applies to this. Each one of those pieces must be there, along with years of practice.

All those pieces were not there for me: I was decent as a D-3 All-American. I even had a great VO2 max, tested once at 72. I was as motivated as anyone could be. But alas, I am 5'9" (175cm), and probably had technique problems, and maybe focused too much on school work in college.

Bottom line: you've got to come up swimming to be good later in life. People who grew up swimming can quit for decades and the technique comes back easily. The biggest difference isn't between me and Andy Potts (my best 1000y free was 9:38, his was 9:0x), but between me and the AOS relative to their marathon times compared to mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I'm more or less an AOS. I swam on a swim team just long enough to know I didn't really "dig it." But, even as an AOS, Garmin Insights says that I'm 75th percentile pace for all people who swim with a Garmin watch on. Not fast by AOS triathlon standards, but relative to the "adult garmin swim-watch population"...still faster than most of them. And I will likely NEVER know what it is like to swim 2 yards in one second.

Your argument is exactly what I was saying to my wife last night, because she was like "well, what do you need to do to go that fast?" .... start swimming at 4 to have the technique now. Not happening at 50.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Shaquille O'Neill is doing commercials for "The General"? Every time one of those comes on I think, "Why the heck does he even bother?"

Shaq is making more money now than he was while he was playing. He also sometimes takes equity in the company as payment, which worked out nicely when Ring was bought by Amazon. He has a meeting once a year where all the brands he is involved come together to discuss ideas and what they want out of Shaq.

He became the General spokesperson because he had dinner with the CEO of the parent company and asked to be the spokesperson, because he liked the company when they insured him in college. Similar thing with Ring where he bought the product and liked it so much he contacted them to make a deal.

I think he bothers because he enjoys doing it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next