Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What would you do?
Quote | Reply
I am curious what the ST community would have done in a situation I had yesterday and what you would do in the future.

Background;

I have been running the same route for nearly 5 years (dedicated intervals for 2 years) now and is one of the few options I have when I choose to run at my place of employment (1hr lunch, Average of 2 times per week) - the route has only 1 single mediocre hill on it and its literally the only hill in the area that I can use for intervals (the area is super flat). If I am not doing hill repeats I still have to pass this section in order to get a healthy run in.

At the top of the hill there is a house on the corner that has a small dog that lives there and always leashed/chained up in the front yard. I always thought the dog must have some emotional issues as it goes crazy when anyone goes by (I always run on the road and across the street from the house). The Dog has been there for as long as I can remember and truth be told it doesn't bother me one bit that it barks when I run by the house (sometimes up to 12 times on certain interval days). I am a dog owner and lover first and foremost, and I think I have even seen the dog bang against the big bay window overlooking the street when inside which shocks me.

I do NOT live in this neighborhood (not even close) and have always been very respectful to everyone, waving acknowledge, always seeing the mail-lady etc etc.

Issue;

Yesterday I was to do a 6 x interval set - as I started down the hill to get to my starting point I noticed that a different dog was outside - it looked more like a pitpull (was not the small dog I was used to). I didn't think anything of it and maybe they kept that dog inside (who knows). Well anyway the dog was not having it - he/she was fairly aggressive and barking alot (most certainly louder and stronger than the smaller dog) etc.

Like normal I did what I have been always been doing - I thought nothing of it.

Well by the time I get done with my second interval and turn around to head down the hill a lady is standing on the porch - she starts yelling at me "Sir, I have newborn triplets - can you PLEASE run somewhere else"

This appeared to be Grandma and not Momma from my quick observation (could be wrong) - but the dog was barking so much I assume that it was disturbing the newborns.

What I did was smile, wave and give her a thumbs up (at max HR of course) and went on my way (went to another location where another slight incline is but sucks compared).

What would you guys/gals have done in the situation and what would you do in the future?

I really have not done anything wrong or different and its really not my fault that the dogs are barking - I feel for the babies however and that's why I moved on. Would you try going back and doing intervals in a few weeks - I honestly don't know if they reside there or were visiting? Would you stop by and ask her about the situation?

Just looking for some feedback is all!
Last edited by: teddygram: May 17, 18 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ridiculous. I would casually yell, 'nope, take your dog inside if it bothers you.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I understand correctly that the complaint came from the same house where the dog is situated?
Last edited by: Ai_1: May 17, 18 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if a handheld bark deterrent would work. When the dog barks, you push the button and the device emits an ultrasonic tone that the dog hates. The dog quiets down in order to make the tone stop. (So, you stop pushing the button when the dog stops barking.) The devices are inexpensive and some are listed on Amazon.
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: May 17, 18 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Do I understand correctly that the complaint came from the same house where the dog is situated?

That was also my understanding (on which my response was predicated.)
Last edited by: patricio2626: May 17, 18 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the person requesting I run elsewhere was also the owner of the barking dog; then no, I would not leave. The problem is of their own making. If it was another person's dog, then you did the right thing.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The runner is not creating the problem. The dog is.
If they own the dog, it's their problem entirely and nothing you should feel responsible for solving IMO.
It's unreasonable to expect people to avoid public spaces because it makes a dog bark.

If it's their neighbour that own the dog, they should be taking it up with the neighbour, not you.
It might be reasonable under exceptional circumstances to politely ask someone if they'd mind doing you a favour by relocating due to a problem beyond their control. But in that case they should know it's your choice and be grateful for the co-operation. There's no way any blame should be aimed at you.... and that should only ever be a one time solution. Long term it's up to them to deal with the real issue, which is not you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just shoot the dog, problem solved!
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
Just shoot the dog, problem solved!

Just call the cops and they'll shoot the dog for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you are obligated to avoid the area at all, but if it were me, I would go run somewhere else. You can make someone else's life a little easier and there's no reason you can't do intervals on flatter ground.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
If the person requesting I run elsewhere was also the owner of the barking dog; then no, I would not leave. The problem is of their own making. If it was another person's dog, then you did the right thing.

First, you behaved in an admirable way. While you were (IMO) well within your right to keep running there, you showed empathy. Kudos for that.

Empathy aside, I think HuffNPuff has it right if we are talking technically. If your dog can't be outside without barking when people are in the area, that's your problem, not mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah... I've got a neighbor that HATES it when my dog barks and also screams at the top of her lungs at her own two dogs when they make a peep. I think she's being a moron because dogs are going to make a little bit of noise on occasion and that's normal. Expecting otherwise is like going outside and screaming at a tree for growing leaves. She's even called animal control many times, and they do nothing when they show up because our dog only barked for maybe 30 seconds in the first place and hasn't made a peep in an hour. They said she's a "problem caller" and just shrug about it.

The funny part is what I do now that they've made such a big deal about it. My dog will start barking and my wife will immediately say we should bring him in. I say no, let him bark a little bit - that neighbor needs some training in managing expectations. Of course a dog barking a lot is annoying as hell and something should be done about it. But f you never want to hear a dog bark ever, then you might need to live underground or start seeing a therapist.

You're in the right. That person yelling at you is failing to see that it's a situation of their own making.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

You are right - it doesn't really state that very well!

The same house with the barking dogs is the same house that asked me to run elsewhere.

It looks like some of you guys had the same thought I did - I am kind of thinking let it go for 2 weeks or so and give it another go and see what happens. I really am at a lost - and yes I can do intervals elsewhere and get a great workout in but its not on a hill and I really suck at hills already haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
This appeared to be Grandma and not the Momma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNR4hKbSH7I

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

You are right - it doesn't really state that very well!

The same house with the barking dogs is the same house that asked me to run elsewhere.

It looks like some of you guys had the same thought I did - I am kind of thinking let it go for 2 weeks or so and give it another go and see what happens. I really am at a lost - and yes I can do intervals elsewhere and get a great workout in but its not on a hill and I really suck at hills already haha.

I was just kidding about shooting the dog.....but seriously, these people have 3 newborn triplets and they decide to get a pit bull?? What the hell are they thinking? You should probably call Child Protective Services and let them sort out the pit bull/newborn triplets situation. You would be doing those babies a favor in the long run.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no situation of someone getting a dog of any breed with new born babies that warrants a call to CPS.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would keep running where you do.

The next time she angrily comes out, you be NICE about it, but kindly and respectfully say, "sorry, ma'am, but this is a public road and it's a valuable route to me, as there are few other places accessible to me with such a good neighborhood and hill. I'm sorry about the dogs, but that's out of my control."

She will likely blow her top and may even curse you out, but you are in the right here, and don't give way. And whatever you do, do NOT get nasty or mean - don't stoop to her level just because she's frustrated and can't manage her situation.

I would even go as far as to say "By the way, thank you ma'am for being so responsible to keep your dogs out of the road and not chasing folks around - I really do appreciate that."

You're not trying to make friends with her, but you're making it very clear that you're not folding down to bullying behavior, but you're not taking it as a personal attack as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ooo ooo lets take a play from the slow twitch playbook

poop in her front yard
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [SankaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good idea, feeding the dog actually might help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would run there twice a day, but you probably should not listen to me since I 've bitten by dogs while running before... in all seriousness, I could care less, people honk and yell at me while riding my bike in the bike lane, while running and crossing the street crosswalk on green... I am completely numb to other people nonsense at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I would keep running where you do.

The next time she angrily comes out, you be NICE about it, but kindly and respectfully say, "sorry, ma'am, but this is a public road and it's a valuable route to me, as there are few other places accessible to me with such a good neighborhood and hill. I'm sorry about the dogs, but that's out of my control."

She will likely blow her top and may even curse you out, but you are in the right here, and don't give way. And whatever you do, do NOT get nasty or mean - don't stoop to her level just because she's frustrated and can't manage her situation.

I would even go as far as to say "By the way, thank you ma'am for being so responsible to keep your dogs out of the road and not chasing folks around - I really do appreciate that."

You're not trying to make friends with her, but you're making it very clear that you're not folding down to bullying behavior, but you're not taking it as a personal attack as well.

Right. It's important to say something along the lines of "Your dog's behavior is not in my control." to make them realize this is their own making. But I wouldn't thank them for keeping their dog from chasing people. If they don't like you, best not give them any suggestions of things that would bother you.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two thoughts:

1. Entitlement is an issue in the US. That's a public sidewalk/street and you have every right to do what you want there within the law. Because she's a POS dog owner doesn't mean you suddenly give up your rights because she can't control her animals.

2. It is probably stressful/annoying enough a situation that it may affect the quality of your workouts or enjoyment of your lunch break. It may unfortunately not be worth it in the long run.

Pun intended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you did the right thing.
I'd probably go back at some point, maybe she was just having a bad day / it may never come back up.

If it is a recurring issue, I would have to ask myself... "Is this the hill I want to die on" (no pun intended) and then proceed from there as I saw fit. Sometimes being right isn't worth the hassle.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd probably put a note in their mailbox stating something along the lines of "Sincere apologies about the disturbance yesterday that woke the newborns up. Hopefully they fell back asleep quickly. I would like to continue to run this hill on my lunch break though. I've been doing this for years and the hill is literally the only one available to me over my lunch break. Hopefully we can avoid waking the newborns up again! I'll only be running by the house between noon and 1pm Tuesday and Thursday, so I might suggest making sure your dog is inside or in the backyard if you do have sleeping children during that hour. Like I said, I'm only planning on being by here during this short hour long window. Appreciate your help and apologies for the disturbance yesterday!"
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do? [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IF this becomes an ongoing situation though, I probably would give up and run elsewhere. Some people are crazy and I would worry a bit about the lady letting the pit bull off the leash at some point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next