Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

better shorts for the trainer?
Quote | Reply
Just tossing this out, my guess would be good shorts (chamois) are good shorts, but was curious if any folks use specific shorts that just feel better for trainer use, just due to the more static nature of that type of exercise. I've got to do a refresh of my shorts (currently rotate between some lower end santini and demarchi shorts) and while they're ok, I always feel like they don't nearly do enough to eliminate hotspots during trainer rides. So obviously there are a ton of other factors like saddle/fit and getting out of the saddle periodically, but I've always wondered about any cases where lower quality shorts can make any saddle/fit feel bad, even if fit is otherwise good. While shorts are super subjective, would love to hear if anyone has any particular models they love to use on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: better shorts for the trainer? [pgp128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, after a lot of experimenting, I've found that its worth taking a look at your position on the bike and seat if you're getting a lot of hotspots on the trainer.

I used to get these a lot on the trainer due to sitting really far on the nose of the seat, invariably leading to a lot of rubbing which led to saddle sores.

Interestingly, no set of bike shorts saved me - even thick Assos ones didn't do the trick.

Last year I 'rebooted' my bike training after a brief layoff, and on a whim, since I was in minimalist/barefoot running shoe mode which put me in 'hardcore' mindset, I decided to try out nonpadded regular compression shorts on a totally unpadded hard carbon seat on my bike on my Kickr. I wasn't riding for over an hour.

I found that I was forced to find a better place to sit on the saddle - more rearward, landing on my sit-bones more than my shaft (you know what I mean.) Felt weird at first, but I was more stable, and most importantly, no more rubbing as I was stable.

I've kept it up, and although I now do mix in normal chamois shorts, I still regularly do half my indoor rides of 60-90 mins with completely unpadded shorts. Haven't had saddle sores since making the switch, although to be fair, I've also been meticulous about keeping super-clean down there before and after rides.

(Riding outdoors I still prefer chamois due to the bumps on the road which get tough with a hard seat+no chamois.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally do either cycling bibs or a trisuit

shorts tends to get all wonky and ride up and such on the trainer for some reason. Suit and Bibs seem to keep things in place
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get hotspots, got a KK Rock and Roll, hotspots gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got Assos bibs for the road, but they're less than optimum on a trainer. For the trainer, I always use Voler bibs. Always comfortable, even if I spend a lot of time sitting upright on the bike. Never a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: better shorts for the trainer? [SankaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I use bib shorts, just realized that just saying shorts makes it seem like non-bibs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use thin running shorts without the liner. Its cooler and I haven't ever had any issues of sores.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally find thinner chamois to be better on the trainer.

Even with two big fans blowing I'm going to get sweaty & thick damp chamois isn't comfy.

I've yet to try it, but I wonder if non-chamois would actually be better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a short ride I just man up and take the pain. I forget about it pretty quickly. Longer trainer rides I just double it up. Maybe the best combo, with nothing specific, is a pair of tri short and a pair of bike shorts.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my DeSoto tri shorts when riding on my trainer. I find my Assos bibs aren't nearly as comfortable when I'm not moving around much like I do when riding outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old ones that are starting to wear thin (becoming see through).

As others have said, unless you have specific hot spots, a trainer doesn't require as much padding. So, anything will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a couple of things to help with saddle pain on the trainer:

* I built a rocking plate for my Kickr that allows some side-to-side motion, really makes a bigger difference in comfort
* I apply more chamois cream than normal
* I wear good bibs with thick chamois - I think this is more important than even outdoors; I used to use my 'junk' bibs inside but as I started to ride more and more indoors (up to 3hrs), I found that the biggest deterrent was a uncomfortable chamois
* keep my mind occupied, whether that's a good movie or a zwift race...nothing is more uncomfortable than riding while bored
Quote Reply
Re: better shorts for the trainer? [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do something similar - trainer with on yoga mat and front tire on very thick closed cell foam pad - so there is a bit of motion.

Often chamois cream - whereas on the road I often don't use it.

In my case my favorite shorts are on the thin and short side - these feel cooler.

I don't ride long on the trainer - never over an hour. Generally listening to music, watchng my power etc, and also watching bike, ski or car racing videos.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: better shorts for the trainer? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Actually, after a lot of experimenting, I've found that its worth taking a look at your position on the bike and seat if you're getting a lot of hotspots on the trainer.

I used to get these a lot on the trainer due to sitting really far on the nose of the seat, invariably leading to a lot of rubbing which led to saddle sores.

Interestingly, no set of bike shorts saved me - even thick Assos ones didn't do the trick.

Last year I 'rebooted' my bike training after a brief layoff, and on a whim, since I was in minimalist/barefoot running shoe mode which put me in 'hardcore' mindset, I decided to try out nonpadded regular compression shorts .....

.....(Riding outdoors I still prefer chamois due to the bumps on the road which get tough with a hard seat+no chamois.)
I also use unpadded compression shorts for trainer rides. I find them much more comfortable than heavily padded shorts on the trainer. The chamois seems to increase risk chaffing and there's no bumps or anything to worry about indoors. I've done occasional 2.5hr trainer sessions in these without a problem but my typical sessions are 60-90mins.
I suspect this approach is better for split nose saddles (mine is an ISM Attack). I don't know if it would be great on a conventional saddle.
I wear padded shorts for outdoor rides.

In my opinion, it's unavoidable that we move more relative to the saddle on a trainer since it's locked in position. That changes the priorities. Chaffing is more critical, padding is less critical, as compared with outdoor riding.
Quote Reply