Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ENVE Disc wheel photos
Quote | Reply
https://www.bikeradar.com/...-tech-gallery-52310/

Tubeless design

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: May 16, 18 22:05
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that sees an Iron Cross?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am shocked they would make a disc wheel when they have told us over and over that their non disc wheels are fastest.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am shocked they would make a disc wheel when they have told us over and over that their non disc wheels are fastest.

I think what they said, was, that for your typical triathlete (and their riding speeds), their "regular" deep wheels were nearly as fast as a disc, and had other advantages (or didn't have the disadvantages of a disc). And therefore were a better choice as an all around race wheel for those athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The argument has gone that most triathletes are pretty insecure when a disc wheel takes a surging cross-wind . . . so they slow down. The ENVE deep wheel is more stable in a stiff cross-wind than a full disc, so it is faster for the rider who is "insecure" in a stiff cross-wind.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except cross winds don't really matter with a disc wheel

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit off topic - In other pics, it was interesting that Cannondale was the only TT bike with disc brakes. A little surprising. I noticed that there's a nice mix of disc brake bikes on the regular stages.

For people interested in watching TOC and the Giro, check out Fubo.tv. It's pretty good so far.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Except cross winds don't really matter with a disc wheel

Bingo. If anything a disc wheel in the rear makes a bike more stable. I ran a 303/disc setup one year that was seemingly immune to cross winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if they'll adopt Mavic's Road UST standard? They're both owned by the same holding company, no? It would be a sensible thing to do considering that adopting Road UST wouldn't preclude the use of other tires and, at the end of the day, it's more of a dimensional tolerance specification than anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waiting until July- that's when all the goodies come out.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hummm,,,, time to think about selling the Super9... I can live with my Enve 7.8 until this comes out.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
hummm,,,, time to think about selling the Super9... I can live with my Enve 7.8 until this comes out.

I'd miss the 9's whomp whomp
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could care less about ENVE and their wheel. After claiming triathletes don't need disc wheels, they won't get any money from me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus, it’s not disc brake compatibility. So, no point in spending money on it.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expect them to offer it considering Specialized and Zipp have disc brake disc wheels.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I could care less about ENVE and their wheel. After claiming triathletes don't need disc wheels, they won't get any money from me.

I hear you on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a close-up look at the new Disc: Link

It's actually pretty cool. It will be very spendy from what I understand.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting that they came out with a disc so soon after Specialized. I’m guessing both of these companies will stick a price tag of well over 2k on them. People will drink the marketing juice and buy them despite Flo, Hed, Renn, Aerocoach, etc all making discs just as fast (and perhaps faster) for a third the cost

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both they and Specialized can keep their wheels at that price. I will keep my money and train more or go get a bike fit or do any number of other things then pay that price for a disc that probably isn't that much better for a slow athlete like me than run of the mill disc wheels that have great sound. :) Or maybe buy a HED disc? Wait then I have a Zipp 808 front and then a HED Disc.....thats blasphemy....ok I'll stick with my 808's. :P

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I see it too......

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
bingo.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just set my PR by 30+ seconds on my little sprint route on 7.8s.. Only 1w more was used versus my PR time last year on the Super9/808, hmmmm. Already sold the 808.. super9 next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds super scientific.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE Disc wheel photos [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Sounds super scientific.

it's not but it's enough for me... I will buy a disc wheel again, dont get me wrong. Probably either Enve's or Roval 321 but will get a disc brake version. The 7.8 is fast enough for me that it will hold me over till I convert Road and TT bikes to disc versions... seems the market is going that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
I just set my PR by 30+ seconds on my little sprint route on 7.8s.. Only 1w more was used versus my PR time last year on the Super9/808, hmmmm. Already sold the 808.. super9 next.
LOL

There are tons of other factors that can cause that instead of the wheels. Your "test" goes against all knowledge from wind tunnel studies and CFD. And 1W? Power meters are +/- 1.5% accurate. You have just become ENVE's target customer.

Quote Reply

Prev Next