Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today
Quote | Reply
The new time is 15:20.48, exactly 5 seconds faster than her own previous world record. She set this at a mid-season meet, the first long course meet of the season, and her pro debut.

This is stunning. She is in a class of her own.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
The new time is 15:20.48, exactly 5 seconds faster than her own previous world record. She set this at a mid-season meet, the first long course meet of the season, and her pro debut.

That's ridiculous speed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out in 2:00/4:04!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Video here:

https://swimswam.com/...ecord-1520-48-video/

No one even to push her....such amazing mental focus to do that.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hot damn.

...swim meets are as boring as I remember them...

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went 15:55 to other day... oh wait that was for 1000m!
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No kidding...my absolute best 1500 (and SCY at that, not even meters) is like 25:04 or something. 15:20 is mind bottling.

Quote | Reply
Let's just hope if she decides to take some bong rips - she does it in the privacy of her own home haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing to watch and no one even close.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Amazing to watch and no one even close.

She lapped a few people.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
Hot damn.

...swim meets are as boring as I remember them...
Well, in fairness a 1500 where the winner wins by ~50 seconds isn't exactly going to be the most exciting part of any swimming meet.

Note that Ledecky's 800 split was faster than she went in the 800 race last year at Worlds.

Ledecky is an epochal talent with incredible mental toughness and drive. I don't think anyone is challenging her any time soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:

She likely can swim 1500m faster than a good portion of the general population can run/walk it.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably a better comparison is that the 8th finalist in the men's 1500 at the 2016 USA Olympic Trials swam it in 15:17.

How about this: as far as I can tell, Ledecky is faster than Andy Potts ever swam...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She was smart, she waited until turning pro to start breaking records again, so now she can get paid. Probably low 6 figures for her for each WR I would guess. Perhaps that is why she sandbagged her last amateur meet?? Or she is human and just had a bad day...(-;

She needs to take a page out of I think it was Bubka's playbook, he would just break each of his own WR by a fraction of an inch in the pole vault, thus getting a ton of WR bonuses. He knew he could have blown it away at any time, but choose to creep it up and make maximum $$$..I would hate to think that was just a creep in the WR, if so look out 15 minutes!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Probably a better comparison is that the 8th finalist in the men's 1500 at the 2016 USA Olympic Trials swam it in 15:17.

How about this: as far as I can tell, Ledecky is faster than Andy Potts ever swam...

But can she bike and run?

I had a golf lesson once where my swing was recorded and then superimposed over a pro of similar build to illustrate where the weak areas of my swing were. I'd love to have the same thing done with my swim stroke and Katie's. I wonder if my stroke would even be recognizable as freestyle compared to hers?
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a difference here: a pole vaulter has six attempts during a meet, and can request a specific height. A distance swimmer has to complete an entire race at full effort.

I think you're imagining the oldest trick in the swimmer playbook. On a descend set, people sandbag the first few repeats, and then look up at the clock on a few repeats and stop short of the wall to get a slower time to descend the subsequent repeats. I don't see ANY swimmer stopping just short of a finish wall, treading water, and touching the touchpad a few tenths/second faster than the previous record.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You make it too complicated, all she would have to do is drill it like she did for 1300, take a look at the clock or coaches signal, and back off just a tad in the final 200. Break it by a second or two, not 5 though. 5 Seconds is an eternity in swimming, she could have easily halved that time without risking not getting the record.

But she is wired like a dog, just go as fast as you can all the time..That we know about her..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think swim strokes are much more individual to the swimmer than golf strokes to a pro. If you take the example of Sun Yang vs Gregorio Paltrinieri (the last two Olympic 1500m champions), Sun has a much longer galloping stroke, while Paltrinieri has a shorter, quicker stroke (their PR's are very close). Another way to look at the comparison is that Sun used to do his whole 1500 "in the big ring," much like Jan Ullrich used to do, while Paltrinieri swims in the "small ring."

(My comparison of Sun to Ullrich is intentional in more ways that one.)

An analysis of your stroke should be what's best for your level of flexibility, kick power, aerobic power, and other factors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I think swim strokes are much more individual to the swimmer than golf strokes to a pro. If you take the example of Sun Yang vs Gregorio Paltrinieri (the last two Olympic 1500m champions), Sun has a much longer galloping stroke, while Paltrinieri has a shorter, quicker stroke (their PR's are very close). Another way to look at the comparison is that Sun used to do his whole 1500 "in the big ring," much like Jan Ullrich used to do, while Paltrinieri swims in the "small ring."

(My comparison of Sun to Ullrich is intentional in more ways that one.)

An analysis of your stroke should be what's best for your level of flexibility, kick power, aerobic power, and other factors.

I don't get it? Sun Yang doesn't speak German.... ;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if my stroke would even be recognizable as freestyle compared to hers?

If the video showed the underwater portion of her stroke, and it was compared with mine, you would have no clue that we were doing the same sport. That is one of the most dominating events I've ever seen at the world class level.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Perhaps that is why she sandbagged her last amateur meet?? Or she is human and just had a bad day...

I think you are aware, but she doesn't need the money.

My understanding is she was a little frustrated with training limitations.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are aware, but she doesn't need the money. //

A lot of you like to point this out, you know who else doesn't need money, LeBron, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Snoop Dog, Michael Phelps, Tom Brady, Jeff Bezos, and just about every other top pro athlete or business person that negotiates their contracts for every last dollar. Why is it we think she is any different, in wanting to earn her own money?? I dont get it, you all think she has just given up on earning her own way in life because her family is rich?? I have found that driven athletes who succeed in sport, are usually the opposite. Competitive in sport, competitive in finance. But maybe you all know something I dont, that is entirely possible...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
There's a difference here: a pole vaulter has six attempts during a meet, and can request a specific height. A distance swimmer has to complete an entire race at full effort.

Pole vaulters (and high jumpers) have unlimited attempts, until they have missed three attempts in a row. They can only request a specific height after they have won the competition.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, I agree with you that Katie is ultra-competitive...proof that she would never consider for even one minute backing off her own world record so that she doesn't break it by too much.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: May 17, 18 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky sets new WR in 1500m free today [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I wonder if my stroke would even be recognizable as freestyle compared to hers?

If the video showed the underwater portion of her stroke, and it was compared with mine, you would have no clue that we were doing the same sport. That is one of the most dominating events I've ever seen at the world class level.

I could have raced her over the last 100m (from a dive) and I would have lost by 20 seconds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next