Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money!
Quote | Reply
This year will be the 5th annual Wildlife Loop Triathlon, happening on September 8th in Custer State Park South Dakota. The distance is a 70.3 and cash payout is for top 3 overall male and female as follows, $800, $400, $300, 1st, 2nd, 3rd place. There will be age group awards. Big prize money is for 70.3 distance only.

There will also be an Olympic Distance race and a 10k Road race. The 10k road race has a payout of $75 for 1st place male and female overall.

The race is open to Pros/Amateurs
The race is not an easy course, however the swim is flat, so if you want a challenge come out to South Dakota!
There is no time limit to complete this race.
This race is in a state park so you may see some wild animals including buffalo, big horn sheep, bald eagles, and many others.

If you are in the area and want to volunteer please let me know! Also if anyone has questions just text me at 605-877-4598
Please help spread the word, go to the Facebook page and like and share it!

Thanks~
~Brandon

Here is the facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/wildlifelooptriathlon/?ref=bookmarks

Website(New website up soon)
https://www.wildlifelooptriathlon.com/

Registration Page
https://www.active.com/...-loop-triathlon-2018

Bike course video
https://www.facebook.com/...ooptriathlon/videos/

Here is a Race Report from a participant in 2017--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRbbqWFd-3I
Last edited by: BrandonZelfer: May 14, 18 20:48
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [BrandonZelfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [BrandonZelfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This race looks awesome!

How would an out of state visitor get there?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where would you be coming from?

Mostly everyone drives, however there are maybe 1-3 that I know of that have flown in. The closest town to fly into is about 40 miles away and you're able to rent a car there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Tucson.

I always wanted to visit the blackhills.
That course looks beautiful.
The weather is probably awesome that time of year.
I might even sneak in a cash finish.

Definitely worth considering.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, you should definitely come! There is so much to sight see while you're up here that its well worth the trip.

It was like 3 years ago, a few days before the race we got about 13 inches of snow. So prepare for anything haha. Most of the time its nice weather. Most of the snow melted before the race anyways, just cooled the water down.

If you don't mind tenting it, that's probably the cheapest way to go. Either way hotels/cabins around here are cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like a race worth travelling for brandon. . have you considered adding a sprint distance too?
i mean what the heck, the pieces are in place.
good luck with it man!! who knows, i've always wanted to visit that area, may get crazy and head out.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have thought about it, but it would probably have to be on a different day of that same weekend. When the race grows more i'm sure there will be lots to think about! Hopefully very soon.
Thanks, and I hope you're able to make it out here for the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations on which campground is best to stay at?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stockade Lake North Campground is perfect. Full hook-ups, tent area, and pretty quiet. It's about a 1/2 mile walk/drive around the lake from transition (on the northwest side of the lake). If you choose a campsite on the far north end of the campground, you are within 50 feet of the run route and close to the bathrooms/showers. Those sites would be a great place for family to hang out during the run, because you pass by four times. I got a hotel in Custer the first year I raced it and then camped at Stockade Lake the following year. It can get pretty cold in a tent at 5000' of elevation in September, but it was manageable.

This is a great little race. It's about as grassroots as you can get (in a very good way). None of the hassle you get with the big races. You can park 100 feet from transition and no lines for the bathrooms. The location of the aid stations are well thought out and had plenty of everything I needed. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more scenic triathlon course anywhere in North America. It's the kind of place people drive all the way across the country just to look at, but you get to race there. Mountain peaks surrounding the small lake that holds the swim. The water is warmer than the crisp morning air in September, so there is usually a little fog hanging over the lake. It's a small field, but because of the nice payday, this race draws some pretty fast people.

I think I showed about 5600 feet of elevation gain on the ride. Basically, two loops with a long climb and fast descent on each loop. Freshly paved narrow asphalt roads for the climb. Big wide smooth concrete highway for the winding but non-technical descent. I don't remember seeing a single pothole or imperfection in any of the roads. I'm sure there were a few, but I was amazed at how perfect roads could be. Tourism is the lifeblood of the people in the area. This course is inside a state park that caters to those tourists...and they maintain everything really, really well. The cattle gates/grates at a couple of places along the bike course are the only roadway-related thing you need to be prepared for. They're flush with the road surface, but will certainly wake you up if your mind is wandering. Mountain goats and other furry critters all over the place. I actually came across a buffalo munching grass on the side of the road. I don't know if I needed to, but I slowed down and gave it some room.

The run is a little lumpy, too. A couple of risers along the course that you get to climb a total of eight times, because of the "out-and-back-twice" nature of the layout. Once you're done, they have a big spread of food at the finish line.
Last edited by: Signal8: May 14, 18 9:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB some 30 yrs ago and did my first Triathlon as a relay team (friend swam, I did bike and run) in Pierre, SD. I would LOVE to head back to the Black Hills for a Triathlon! I did many miles of biking there and some swimming too! This looks like a great course! Yes, be aware of the cattle crossings, those at Custer State Park are the first ones I ever encountered and came upon one and over it before I could decide what to do! hahaha! I've also had to wait for Bison and mules and other wildlife to cross the road.
If up for it, the hike up to Black Elk Peak (used to be called Harney Peak) is worth the views. Long hike though (4 miles). Travelling to the Northern Black Hills to Spearfish would be a good day trip too. Really neat old fish hatchery there.

I may have to look into this for next year. I could care less about the money!
Good luck and hope you have a great turnout! Hope someone posts a race review for this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of the campgrounds are pretty great. If you are racing and want to be close to the start then one of the campgrounds around Stockade lake is the best bet. If you google "custer state park campgrounds" a map will come up with all the campgrounds and from there you can find more information on each spot. In the years past participants have also stayed in the cabins and those are great as well and reasonably priced.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great review! Are you planning on making it out this year for the race as well? Which year did you race?

The run this year might be going around the south side of the lake. They want me to try and get the run off of the highway but this might workout better too because runners and bikers wont be going by each other in and out of transition. But the main reason is the highway traffic. It will make for cool pictures too because youl be running the across the bridge on the dam. It shouldn't change much of the run though, ide say the difficulty is still the same lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [johnnydman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, here is a race review from last year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRbbqWFd-3I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your website only has 2017 info on it. If you're trying to encourage people to register, you might want to fix that.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for noticing that! Its fixed now. I have another website ready to replace it but they are having problems switching one and replacing the other. Gotta love wix lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I ask why you keep posting stuff then deleting it?
Why not just not post it in the first place?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not posting anything, all im putting is a period. Its to bump the post. Guess from now on ill just type out bump lol.
Quote Reply

Prev Next