Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
May Fish Thread
Quote | Reply
Post your swims!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.7 mi easy run
525 yd swim as 500 swim (even 50s drill), 25 kick

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lazy this morning. Nobody was planning to hit the ocean, so I bagged it to and went to the pool instead.

1000s 13:30 something
1000IM kwf
8x25 fly w/fins @:10RI
5x50p@1:00
5x50choice@1:00

2700 sc yardages - nothing done terribly hard.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 x 500 @ 6:40 (6:30, 6:20, :20, :20, :20, :20)
1 minute
5 x 100 @ 1:20 (1:15)
1 minute
3 x 500 @ 6:40 (:25, :25, :25)
5 x 100 @ :05 rest, easy
25 easy

5525y
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yesterday 9.7 mi easy run
today 6 mi run (3.36 mi @ 8:27 pace + 2.1 mi @ 8:20 pace) + 625 yd swim.

600 swim
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 swim (38:40)
:40 rest
6 x 100 @ 1:20, odd @ 800/1000 pace (1:07), even make the interval (1:15)
900 swim (11:30)
5 x 100 easy-ish, mix of swim, strokes, free, @:05 rest
25 easy just to mess with the OCD on this message board

5025y
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
3000 swim (38:40)
6 x 100 @ 1:20, odd @ 800/1000 pace (1:07), even make the interval (1:15)
900 swim (11:30)
5 x 100 easy-ish, mix of swim, strokes, free, @:05 rest
25 easy just to mess with the OCD on this message board

5025y

:-(

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2693 m tonight. Because you guys are just doing this to mess with my head

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That number doesn't bother me at all. However, that 93 only works is you swam in the outside lane, stopped 2m outside the flags, then climbed out of the pool right there. Walking to the end of the lane counts as completing that length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, i was in the wall lane today. got in 1m before the flags, got out 2m after the flags.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious question.....doing a 1500m SCM....how do you guys keep count. I literally lose count after 400m. Should I break my counting into 7x200m plus a final 100m? What mental tricks do you guys use? I am going to be in a really slow heat where everyone is going to be lapping each others, so no point hoping someone else can keep count either.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer, you don't. You should have a general sense of where you are, but Recruit someone to count laps for you. There will be lap boards available. For the 1500 they'll start at 59 and go down by 2's, (scm). Last lap (25 to go) is an orange or red square. You'll also get a bell with 50 to go.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 3, 18 19:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I swim long yardage I will peek at the clock after turns on he wall while taking my first breath. I have an understanding of the kind of pace I should be keeping....for example 2:00 per 150, so that keeps it on track...every 150 see if you are on track. You could also do an open turn every 250 or so, and check your time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Short answer, you don't. You should have a general sense of where you are, but Recruit someone to count laps for you. There will be lap boards available. For the 1500 they'll start at 59 and go down by 2's, (scm). Last lap (25 to go) is an orange or red square. You'll also get a bell with 50 to go.

Thanks, if it was 1500m LCM, I would have no problem, but in SCM, I just can't stay on track. I was thinking of looking up at the clock every so often but if I can get someone to count laps then thta would be best!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [mauvais poisson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6.5 mi easy 60:30
425 yd swim (400 swim + 25 kick)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I just got day 1 done at the swim Ontario Masters. My drive ended being close to 6 hours with Toronto traffic and arrived at the meet just as warm-ups were ending but did get a warmup in. My bad disc was reacting from the drive and I was having some challenges controlling my left leg on the up stroke on the fly and free and downstroke on back.

So it was just a case of working with whatever was working.

400 IM seed time 7:35 actual time 7:33
100 fly seed time 1:35....what a disaster...leg would not work and ended in 1:39

These two events were close to each other. Then 1500 free after 1.5 hour break 25:00 target 24:45 actual.. My left leg was all over the place like a parachute with its own mind. My turns were so slow as I have to take a micro pause to resume control of my foot before push off.

Overall, the day was good though and I got a counter for the laps and it was no thinking for the 1500m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job at the meet, with all the things on your plate. I hope you enjoyed the meet. At what pool was it?

Today:
1500 swim
3 x 500 @ :10 rest, snorkel with pull buoy on 1,3; snorkel only on 2
1000 free, alternating smooth/fast by 100
5 x 200 with paddles, with breathing pattern per 50 as 1right/3strokes/1left; 2r/3s/2l; 3/3/3; 4/3/4 @ :10 rest
300 c-d as 50 kick, 100 swim x 2

5300m long course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meet was at the Barry Trojan swim club. 25 scm. That was actually the longest drive I did in 3 years solo since my disc rupture. I knew I would pay a bit with left leg control and weakness, but I wanted to minimize nites in hotels as I am trying to minimize spending $$$ since I have not collected a paycheck in a year since starting my tech startups and paying people to work for me with family money and angel investor $$$ until I either close. larger financing round or close more customers....so in the mean time swimming is ultra cheap since I have no equipment expenses!!! My biggest expense on sport this year is this meet which is costing me around $350 for gas hotel and $97 meet entry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 1650 SCY race last weekend (66 laps). The person I was going to recruit to count for me didn't show up. My trick was to count A, B, C, D, 1, A, B, C, D, 2...all the way to A, B, C, D, 16. Of course, I only started this counting method after the first 50y. I didn't lose track. On the 500 race later that day, there was someone marking the laps in the lane next to me using the numbered sticks (or whatever they are called). I was able to see the marker from my lane. This helped because I seemed to be anaerobic and was not functioning well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for any Fenix 5 pool swim users - I recently upgraded from the Fenix 2 to the 5 (the 2 quit auto uploading to GC and I was too lazy to manually upload the workouts). On the 2, it was easy to switch between the drill mode, i.e. kick sets, and normal swim intervals. All I had to do was hit the start button after the end of my last drill. The 5 doesn't work that way. I've tried several methods including Garmin's own online owner's manual which tells me to simply push the up or down button. What that does is initiate a "rest timer", not the swim time. DC Rainmaker did not cover this in either his written or video review (at least not that I was able to see).

So for the first pool swims I have done with the 5, I have had to end the swim session at the end of the drills and start a new swim session for my main set. I would rather just be able to use the 5 like I did my Fenix 2.

Can someone out there smarter than I am provide the steps necessary to go between drills and swim intervals? Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
Question for any Fenix 5 pool swim users - I recently upgraded from the Fenix 2 to the 5 (the 2 quit auto uploading to GC and I was too lazy to manually upload the workouts). On the 2, it was easy to switch between the drill mode, i.e. kick sets, and normal swim intervals. All I had to do was hit the start button after the end of my last drill. The 5 doesn't work that way. I've tried several methods including Garmin's own online owner's manual which tells me to simply push the up or down button. What that does is initiate a "rest timer", not the swim time. DC Rainmaker did not cover this in either his written or video review (at least not that I was able to see).

So for the first pool swims I have done with the 5, I have had to end the swim session at the end of the drills and start a new swim session for my main set. I would rather just be able to use the 5 like I did my Fenix 2.

Can someone out there smarter than I am provide the steps necessary to go between drills and swim intervals? Thank you.

Is it even permitted to talk about wearing a mainframe computer on your arm during swim sets? This alone is grounds for getting banned.....OK OK, pink font, I have a Fenix, and I just cannot use it in the water. It's just too heavy and screws up my already bad stroke. Seriously, I'd ditch the watch. Just go by time in the water and log your totals. In the overall scheme of life, it just works out in the wash. I think personally that computer on your arm is getting in the way of swimming properly. My 2 cents. It's like in Heisenburg's uncertainly principal.....by trying to measure something the observer affected messed with what he was trying to measure, you're messing around with the thing (swimming) you are trying to measure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there was a pace clock at the pool, I might ditch the watch. I don't feel the watch negatively impacts my stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then get a really thin lightweight timex that does not mess with feel of the water at your wrist as much and with fluid flow over your wrist. Or get a stop watch and put it on the deck by the edge. I think you're giving yourself excuses for wanting to recorddata because you know, we're triathletes and have to record everything perfectly!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saturday 8.1 mi run w/ tempo-ish intervals, 2 mi bike
Sunday 40.3 mi bike
today 6.3 mi run (5k @ 7.0 mph, 2.5 mi @ 7.1 mph), 525 yd swim (5 x 100 on 1:30 + 25 kick)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam in the pool but did some ladders to keep from getting bored

16 x 25 - Slow relaxed pace
8 x 25 - Medium pace
4 x 25 - Fast pace
2 x 25 - Sprint as hard as possible

Then Repeat in reverse order

2 x 25 - Sprint as hard as possible
4 x 25 - Fast pace
8 x 25 - Medium Pace
16 - 25 - Slow relaxed pace

Up and down the ladder :)

Trek Bikes, Brooks Shoes, and Warm Water Please!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next