Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Western Australia, so 12 hours ahead. Yeah 5 beers down at 9.40am wouldn't be a good sign!

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Western Australia, so 12 hours ahead. Yeah 5 beers down at 9.40am wouldn't be a good sign!

It was a longhaul airline pilot who once admonished me for refusing a beer at 8am. Their version of "it's always 5 o'clock somewhere" is "it's always noon somewhere."

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually change my vote; if you need to ask ST this question then drinking 4 beers for you might not be a good idea. And yes I’m being serious.
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I actually change my vote; if you need to ask ST this question then drinking 4 beers for you might not be a good idea. And yes I’m being serious.

Lots of good advice on this forum, not just tri related, life stuff.. I get a bit antsy leading up to a race and start stressing unnecessarily about little shit, it helps having people, albeit random strangers, reassuring you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point!! I assumed OP was seeking advice not reassurance which is why I changed my response. My reassurance would be, you’ll be fine. My advice would be that it drinking 4 beers is such an event for you that you are asking here, maybe you shouldn’t do it.
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
RandMart wrote:
zedzded wrote:

It was a longhaul airline pilot who once admonished me for refusing a beer at 8am. Their version of "it's always 5 o'clock somewhere" is "it's always noon somewhere."

I've been known to have pizza and beer for breakfast immediately after a morning training run

http://400beers.blogspot.com/.../fine-breakfast.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Tradition requires me to post this:

RandMart wrote:
http://riotfest.org/2017/04/one-time-joe-strummer-ran-marathon/

Joe: You shouldn’t really ask me about my training regime, you know.
Q: Why?
Joe: Because it’s not good and I wouldn’t want people to copy it.
Q: Don’t make me beat it out of you.
Joe: Okay, you want it, here it is. Drink 10 pints of beer the night before the race. Ya got that? And don’t run a single step at least four weeks before the race.
Q: No running at all?
Joe: No, none at all. And don’t forget the 10 pints of beer the night before. But make sure you put a warning in this article, “Do not try this at home.” I mean, it works for me and Hunter Thompson but it might not work for others. I can only tell you what I do.

You're welcome

Joe is, of course, dead. So there's that.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but that had nothing to do with drinking or marathon training

https://en.wikipedia.org/...mer#Death_and_legacy

Quote:
Strummer died suddenly on 22 December 2002 in his home at Broomfield in Somerset, the victim of an undiagnosed congenital heart defect.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Yes, but that had nothing to do with drinking or marathon training

https://en.wikipedia.org/...mer#Death_and_legacy

Quote:
Strummer died suddenly on 22 December 2002 in his home at Broomfield in Somerset, the victim of an undiagnosed congenital heart defect.

Which, tangentially, is interesting: it seems to me that an proportionally large number of high level endurance athletes (professional cyclists) are diagnosed with congenital heart defects or die due to them before they are diagnosed. So maybe their hearts overcompensate so to say for the defect leading to extraordinary athletic capabilities, until it can't anymore. And if what Joe said in the above interview is true, his athletic capabilities were definitely above average as well.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ever saw The Clash play, it was certainly an athletic event for the whole band; almost like "12-18 [songs] x 3:30 each @ high tempo" interval training

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
If you ever saw The Clash play, it was certainly an athletic event for the whole band; almost like "12-18 [songs] x 3:30 each @ high tempo" interval training

I never understand how drummers can be fat. But yet, there's Jason Bonham.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keith Moon got chubby towards the end, but he wasn't playing much as they weren't doing a lot of anything before and after Who Are You

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buddy and I went out for pizza and a beer at 5pm....ended up HAMMERED back at the house at 3am to wake up for a 15k race at 4:30am.

We ran that race drunk as hell...fortunately - the race goes through affluent neighborhoods and people set up tables and hand out food/drinks. I had 3 yuenglings, a donut, hotdog, cookie, and and sausage biscuit at about mile 5. Then after the race it was unlimited miller lights at the beer truck.

We can safetly assume I did not PR this race - but we can also safely assume there is a picture of me somewhere dumping a full beer on my head to cool off at mile 5.
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
Buddy and I went out for pizza and a beer at 5pm....ended up HAMMERED back at the house at 3am to wake up for a 15k race at 4:30am.

We ran that race drunk as hell...fortunately - the race goes through affluent neighborhoods and people set up tables and hand out food/drinks. I had 3 yuenglings, a donut, hotdog, cookie, and and sausage biscuit at about mile 5. Then after the race it was unlimited miller lights at the beer truck.

We can safetly assume I did not PR this race - but we can also safely assume there is a picture of me somewhere dumping a full beer on my head to cool off at mile 5.

Man that sounds like a shitload of fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why mess with a good thing. Keep on keeping it.
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [Cento] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly two weeks is probably more than enough time to recover from 4-5 beers you should really be backing into your taper by now anyway. A few days before should even be fine to tell the truth. It will be gone from your body long before you toe the starting line. The night before??? Yeah not so much. When I did IMMT this year I had myself 1 Labatt Blue the night I got there about 4 days before the race. However 2 days before the race I declined shots of whiskey with my family that arrived with me, not even a drop there. But weeks out, and you need to decompress, the positive psychological effect is going to greatly outweigh the negative physiological effect.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just be weary of dehydration as alcohol impacts hydration status.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [davidleventhal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will try this for the Bar. TY!

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: A few beers a week before a 70.3? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply