Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [stivrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the new 3-piece bottle or the old single piece? The new one is quite a bit bigger. Maybe the old one would suit you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah the new big thing ,its like a sail ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're just tripping.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stivrunning wrote:

A sail which makes you go faster.
I was out a few weeks ago on the local sea front promenade,with a 90 and disc on with a true 15mph crosswind and it never felt anything other than completely rock solid, absolutely zero sideways movement,in fact the bike as a whole is so well behaved in nasty winds (I live on the coast,we always have wind) that it almost feels docile in comparison to my old p2 which was frequently a bit sketchy in crosswinds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stivrunning wrote:

Then, try to get the old one if you want something that is well integrated but smaller. Plus, it'll likely be dirt cheap since everyone who started with it was so happy to ditch it for the free new one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. Have you purchased from Aliexpress before? If so, how was your experience.

Also, which model number would I want to get? I have the 2016 GTA Pro 2 and I know that it runs an 11-25 instead of the 11-28 that Giant switched to in 2017. I have no idea if this makes a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Thanks for the link. Have you purchased from Aliexpress before? If so, how was your experience.

Also, which model number would I want to get? I have the 2016 GTA Pro 2 and I know that it runs an 11-25 instead of the 11-28 that Giant switched to in 2017. I have no idea if this makes a difference.

I have purchased plenty of stuff from Ali...cycling kits, flags, bike lights, wheel bags, cable ends, heat shrink grip tape, these pulley sets and a bunch more. Only one recent purchase turned out to be a true dud. A couple long sleeve skin suits were a little big, but I was able to pass them on to buddies which fit. So, do not expect much (if any) post sale support, but the products are all genuinely decent. You can expect stuff almost as good at a fraction of the price. Shipping will take between 1-3 weeks.

There is a valid concern that your CC details may get snagged, sold and abused. If that concerns you, just load $ onto a prepaid card. Boom, worry no more!

The pulley set you get doesn't really care what your cassette is. I have two, one on the trinity and another on my roadie. The trinity had the short cage 6870 and with the 15/15 set, it clears everything from a 21 to 28T cassette. The roadie has a 12/16T pulley set and I run a 32 on there. At most, swapping cassettes will take a few turns on the B-screw...per usual.
You just might need a longer chain. I size my chains long, so I just popped them on and was good to go. Install is just slightly tricky. There is a ring spring that sproings out. Once you find that behind the shelves and clean it up, be careful that it goes in correctly. Be better than me and slowly take the RD apart so you see how everything works. First time took an hour. The second one took maybe 10 minutes. You can find step by step instructions on ceramic speed's site.

Any other Q's, ask!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for help with aero bottle ( AKA SAIL) ,will look at smaller option
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stivrunning wrote:
Sorry Ladies /Gents

couple question I still not resolved

I am struggling to find a aero bottle system for front end on my 2017 advanced pro ,between centres is approach 140mm

I struggling to find a behind the seat bottle holder ,reason for this my seat is as far forward as can go therefore my old bottle holder interferes with seat post.

I have the big black aero bottle that came with bike but do not like this due to size on windy bike course it can make handling lighter

any thoughts

Use torpedo 200, very comfortable. will attach some pictures later
The spec is to 150mm

https://www.xlab-usa.com/torpedo-versa-200.html
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [Evgen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Evgen

would really appreciate that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know of a way to angle the aero extensions upward slightly, or is this not possible with the stock clamps? I have the Zipp Vuka Evo 110's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stivrunning wrote:
thanks Evgen

would really appreciate that
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Anyone know of a way to angle the aero extensions upward slightly, or is this not possible with the stock clamps? I have the Zipp Vuka Evo 110's.

That would be ideal, but I think the problem is impossible with the stock clamps. Got the same vuka evo 110
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think someone angled the bars by putting a small shim under the lowest spacer. There was enough room in the screw tunnel that the screw could sit at that angle. This is fuzzy memory, though, may not be correct.

If so, you would have to lower the rear or raise the front since the extension holes would no longer line up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
I think someone angled the bars by putting a small shim under the lowest spacer. There was enough room in the screw tunnel that the screw could sit at that angle. This is fuzzy memory, though, may not be correct.

If so, you would have to lower the rear or raise the front since the extension holes would no longer line up.

Interesting...Seems like maybe the way to do it is make a custom set of angled spacers for the top of the stack with the holes and pins. A little ambitious for me at the moment, but when I get through all the other little tweaks I'm making, might go to a buddy's garage who has "the ultimate set of tools" (referencing Fast Times at Ridgemont High) and see if we can make a set, machining and drilling aluminum....or maybe they don't even need to be aluminum, will experiment perhaps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a proper machine shop, you can do whatever you want!

If it were me, I'd find a set of bars that are already bent so that the hand grips are where you want them. Then, I would add shims under the elbow pads to make a comfortable angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for that evgen

very helpful and hopefully sort out one for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
With a proper machine shop, you can do whatever you want!

If it were me, I'd find a set of bars that are already bent so that the hand grips are where you want them. Then, I would add shims under the elbow pads to make a comfortable angle.

That's what I was thinking of doing before; I can do that as-is without different bars, as the 110's bring the hands up well already. Easier to do a shim than to make new spacers, simpler shapes and no locator pins and holes, too. I found some overseas a few months ago, but they wanted an arm and a leg for them. In a lot of situations, I'm more apt to think, "screw it, I'll do it myself." :)

Kind of fun solving problems, then riding the solution. And hopefully not finding out you've royally botched it all up! :D

Just re-config'd the cockpit today, took 20mm out of the spacer stack (back is flexible, can always put 10mm back in if this ends up being too much), narrowed elbow pads by one hole in and moved them forward by one hole, plus angled them inward slightly. Then moved the saddle mount to the front hole on the seatpost perch (it was in the middle position, and pushed max forward on the rails), then backed the saddle rail position back half a centimeter after setting the new mount point, so the net should be approx 1cm forward from the previous position. Overall, slightly narrower, slightly lower, and slightly more forward. Will take a test flight tomorrow or Sunday to see if the farther forward elbow move was enough to give me a little stretch to offset the drop and still allows easy breathing similar to where I was. Will tweak saddle height on the test ride a couple times to dial in hip angle. Been tweaking the bike once a month for the first four months, had it pretty dialed in terms of comfort and decent aero last time, now just getting more aggressive and will try to achieve "reasonable" comfort. Trying to take another minute off my 20K next race (shaved 73 secs last race from previous). Fun stuff!
Last edited by: Super D: Apr 27, 18 14:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
April 28, 2018 cockpit changes:

Went for a more aggressive/aero cockpit tweak this time, enough babying it. Took 20mm out of the spacer stack, moved elbow pads 10mm inward + 10mm fwd ea side, angled pads inward to follow ulna line, saddle clamp moved to front mounting hole in seatpost netting roughly 15mm more forward saddle position. Rode it a couple laps on Fiesta Island, then raised saddle 3mm to open up hip angle slightly and take a little pressure off quads (which I could feel nearly continually through the pedal stroke before the raise), then rode 3 more laps. Feels good enough to keep for a while. Adjustment to the new config was easy. I've got a flexible back, do a lot of stretching, so no issues there. Interestingly, the narrower arm position lessened tension in the shoulders/upper-mid back, allowing me to lower the head easier than the previous wider elbow pad placement. I wasn't expecting that benefit, nice to feel.

PR'd a few segments with a standard road helmet and kit and no aero wheels. I took it easier than my training ride on Thurs, NP that day was 263, and today NP was 250, yet I avg'd .8mph faster. Interesting... Next, going to get back on the fit rig with the measurements from this new setup, and will tweak fore-aft saddle position and look at power numbers, and also find out if there is anything else that needs attention.

One tweak I forgot to make was slightly rotating the aero extensions inward, will do that this week. I'm lightly interlocking my fingers while on non-turny sections, and I'd like to bring the hands just slightly closer together so this is more easily accomplished. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I'd like to try it.

Really enjoying this Trinity. I'd heard how hard it was to work with for fitting, and I've no doubt that's true. But I'm still having fun and it's getting better all the time. Looking forward to putting in some solid training, and then going after a healthy time cut at the next race. Let's see if the fit work pays off.

Last edited by: Super D: Apr 30, 18 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
PR'd a few segments with a standard road helmet and kit and no aero wheels. I took it easier than my training ride on Thurs, NP that day was 263, and today NP was 250, yet I avg'd .8mph faster. Interesting... Next, going to get back on the fit rig with the measurements from this new setup, and will tweak fore-aft saddle position and look at power numbers, and also find out if there is anything else that needs attention.

Everything is looking good, but I am skeptical that such a change could make sure a radical difference.

You mentioned: 13 fewer Watts and 0.8mph gained. Plugging in arbitrary numbers: 25 vs. 25.8mph, you sped up about 2s/km. (Lower speeds: 20&20.8mph would be about 5seconds/km saved.)

I forget the full 'aero rule of thumb', but a quick search say 10W = 1s/km

...so, is it possible that your tweak saved roughly 33W (20W for the speed increase + 13W for going 13W easier)? Any way you could show some before/after pictures from the same angle? If that is a legit 30W+ aero savings, I'd love to see it!

(Disclosure: my math is often terrible, but I think I got the mph/kmph conversions correct. Don't yell at me if I made a stupid error.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Super D wrote:

Everything is looking good, but I am skeptical that such a change could make sure a radical difference.

You mentioned: 13 fewer Watts and 0.8mph gained. Plugging in arbitrary numbers: 25 vs. 25.8mph, you sped up about 2s/km. (Lower speeds: 20&20.8mph would be about 5seconds/km saved.)

I forget the full 'aero rule of thumb', but a quick search say 10W = 1s/km

...so, is it possible that your tweak saved roughly 33W (20W for the speed increase + 13W for going 13W easier)? Any way you could show some before/after pictures from the same angle? If that is a legit 30W+ aero savings, I'd love to see it!

(Disclosure: my math is often terrible, but I think I got the mph/kmph conversions correct. Don't yell at me if I made a stupid error.)

After I reconfigured the entire cockpit, I thought to myself that I should probably have taken a photo of me on the bike first and afterward, LOL. I’m an idiot.

Being pragmatic, there are several factors which may've affected the outcome, wind direction and how that bolstered speed in certain sections, and other things such as the amount of sleep I had, where I was in the recovery cycle in training during the week, temperature, HR, tire pressure, lots of things. I guess at a high-level just not going slower was an indicator that things are going in the right direction. But I can’t really read into the rest of it too much until I do a controlled test on a fit rig with the power meter, so I can discern what the net effects were on power output and efficiency in the pedal stroke (combined with some aero improvements to net a potential speed gain at lower power). For now, it’s just fun experimentation. :D

I would never question, ridicule, or complain about anybody’s mathematical computations on this forum. That would be suicidal! :-)

P.S. Looks like somebody snapped a pic of me in my new aero position on Sunday's test run!

Last edited by: Super D: Apr 30, 18 18:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy that is willing to lend me his Reynolds Assault 40's. Any advice on the carbon brake pads I would want to use/where to buy them?

Is it going to be worth the hassle over a 70.3 to switch out the box rims in favor of his wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help you there! I only ride aluminum brake tracks. Would he lend you the pads as well? I believe carbon clinchers all have their preferred pad.

Have you tweaked much of the brake spacing yet? The rear is especially annoying.

Is it worth it? Yes! It'll look cool and be faster. If there is a chance of rain, maybe not. CCs already have worse braking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Swissstop Black Prince Pads on all carbon wheels I have run, they seem to work well, they have an EVO option that are narrower if you have wide rims and struggle for clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [JVanderveen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://road.cc/content/news/241315-giro-ditalia-stage-1-tom-dumoulin-takes-win-and-early-lead-jerusalem

The Dutchman takes the win on a trinity!
Quote Reply

Prev Next