Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be?
Quote | Reply

The Contest: On April 11th, the Amgen Tour of California held two time trials on Zwift—a 10 mile course in which anyone who completed under 21 minutes would be entered into a random drawing. The course was set on Watopia Flat, and TT bikes (in-game, to eliminate drafting) were required to be used for the event.

The Prize: Airfare from winner’s home city to San Jose, CA, hotel cost for 3-day/2-night stay, VIP Ticket to Stage 4 of the Amgen Tour of California, and get set up on a Team Dimension Data team bike (Cervelo P5 w/ Enve disc/front), Team DiData skinsuit (BioRacer Speedwear Concept TT Suit), aero helmet (Oakley Aro7) to get to ride the course the morning of the Pro TT on May 16th.

The Result: I hit 10 miles at 20:59 – only 3 other individuals were able to do the same or better, resulting in a random drawing where one lucky person out of four got the experience of a lifetime. By some stroke of luck, I was selected for the event! Absolutely blown away by the opportunity and can’t wait to throw down on the TT course.

Why I’m Posting: HOLY HELL, I get to go down the ramp at a pro TT -- INSANE!! Also, my position is pretty good on my 2010 Cannondale Slice, Flo Disc/90, Giro Aerohead, and Voler TT suit, and I'm a competent TTer. I recently set the course record at a local 12km TT that has been around for over a decade (TJ Tollakson set the course record at 15:00 back in 2009 – I did 14:49).

I have put my current bike/position through best bike split for the course and the estimated time for the 21.56 mile course is 45:51 – 28.2 mph.

How much speed do you think a fully decked-out Cervelo P5, Enve wheelset, Oakley Aro7, and better skinsuit will get me? I sent Team Dimension Data my Retul fit coordinates so the Cervelo P5 will be as identical as possible, so I’ll at least be very comfortable on the bike considering I’ve never ridden it before that moment.

Looking forward to seeing how I stack up against the pro field on the TT course – should hopefully be able to beat a few sprinters who don’t know how to ride a TT bike well!

Stage Information: Amgen Tour of California Stage 4 TT
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Apr 25, 18 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California & Zwift - How much faster will I be? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why I’m Posting

Because it's a fucking cool story and awesomely fun opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California & Zwift - How much faster will I be? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edited for clarity and to emphasize my excitement hahaha
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Apr 25, 18 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California & Zwift - How much faster will I be? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
Why I’m Posting

Because it's a fucking cool story and awesomely fun opportunity.

Hell yeah it is!
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data bike/gear - How much faster will I be? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's very cool, congrats!

Jakub

Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome, enjoy every minute and tell us about it!
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half a mph. Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! be sure to get video and post it up here for us all to live vicariously....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool, congrats!

*a little faster

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!

If I really can get 0.5 mph out of the better equipment, I'll be very happy. Wish there was prior TT data for the course but they've never run this course before!
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Apr 25, 18 9:09
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
be sure to get video and post it up here for us all to live vicariously....

I want to figure out a way to get a GoPro on the bike somehow, but don't want to sacrifice any aerodynamics -- may just mount a rear-facing under the seat (will be able to hear the whompwhompwhomp of the disc better that way, too haha)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWESOME!!! Sub-45 mins?!

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Physiojoe925 wrote:
AWESOME!!! Sub-45 mins?!

It's just shy of 35km. My target wattage is just about 360W average, with the main "climb" on the course at around 390-410W for 4:15.

Did a local crit race which was 45 minutes last weekend and averaged 360W with NP of 383W sitting on the front the whole time before breaking away. Should definitely be doable for the TT!
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Apr 25, 18 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude that is awesome! Love to see slowtwitch representing!!!

You don't get to keep the bike do you?
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:

Oh man, I wish!! I'm hoping they let me keep the skinsuit at least haha. We'll see!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off....congrats to you!!

TriowaCPA wrote:
Cervelo P5 w/ Enve disc/front

I'm guessing you don't know but I'm going to ask you anyway, is it really an Enve Disc? I'd love to know if it's really an Enve disc whenever you see it with your own eyes.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Apr 25, 18 9:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:

Oh man, I wish!! I'm hoping they let me keep the skinsuit at least haha. We'll see!

Tell them you pee'd in it. They'll let you keep it. Because pee..

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

TriowaCPA wrote:

I'm guessing you don't know but I'm going to ask you anyway, is it really an Enve Disc? I'd love to know if it's really an Enve disc whenever you see it with your own eyes.

Thanks Steve! And you're right--I really have zero clue what wheelset, but I sure hope they put me on a disc of some sort! I did what research I could on their team TT bikes and found a bunch of images like this one and assumed:

Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
TriowaCPA wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:

Tell them you pee'd in it. They'll let you keep it. Because pee..

I am a triathlete after all! I'll just tell them I thought I was going to have to run off the bike and didn't want to waste time.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Apr 25, 18 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
stevej wrote:

TriowaCPA wrote:

Thanks Steve! And you're right--I really have zero clue what wheelset, but I sure hope they put me on a disc of some sort! I did what research I could on their team TT bikes and found a bunch of images like this one and assumed:

It just crossed my mind..... it might just be a drag2zero tubular disc with Enve decals on it. I would bet that's what it is.

Anyway.... sounds like an awesome opportunity and even better experience. Once in a lifetime..... freakin awesome. You have to record some video on a gopro or something to show us mortals how much fun you will have.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you listen to the trainerroad podcast, they have basically confirmed that it's an enve disc (enve gave them one for a TT challenge they have going).

And congrats again Matt!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
It's just shy of 35km. My target wattage is just about 360W average, with the main "climb" on the course at around 390-410W for 4:15.

Did a local crit race which was 45 minutes last weekend and averaged 360W with NP of 383W sitting on the front the whole time before breaking away. Should definitely be doable for the TT!

With those power numbers, you would win most of the amateur races in our area. I guarantee you will beat many of the pros times. Have fun and good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
It just crossed my mind..... it might just be a drag2zero tubular disc with Enve decals on it. I would bet that's what it is.

Anyway.... sounds like an awesome opportunity and even better experience. Once in a lifetime..... freakin awesome. You have to record some video on a gopro or something to show us mortals how much fun you will have.

Thanks man, I’ll get a camera on it somehow!! Hopefully NBCSN is taking video of it as well ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude.....this is effing awesome!

To answer your question, there's only one way to find out how much faster all that equipment will make you and you know how to answer that.
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
If you listen to the trainerroad podcast, they have basically confirmed that it's an enve disc (enve gave them one for a TT challenge they have going).

And congrats again Matt!

Thanks Sean!

I went to high school with the guy (AJ Turner) that was on the podcast. I’ll look into it!
Quote Reply

Prev Next