Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim at IM Texas
Quote | Reply
I am doing IM Texas in about 6 weeks. It's my first one in 9 years and am pretty pumped. I live in Vegas, so I am not familiar with Houston-area lake conditions. Is this typically a wetsuit legal race? If so, mine is pretty thick and for colder water than it would probably be at IM Texas. Can anyone recommend a thinner wetsuit for water temp approaching the temp limit? Thanks in advance for all responses.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [rustyb04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's typically NOT wetsuit legal. The lake is shallow and can swing quickly with the temperatures so a cold front a few days before could make it wetsuit legal but odds are you won't need it. If it is barely legal, you are going to want a sleeveless if you are prone to overheating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a sleeveless just for the off chance this race was wetsuit. Don't think I could have made it with my full suit. I overheat easily. There's a sprint thats usually last week of April in the lake and it has been wetsuit legal before....so it really is a toss up.

I got an xterra volt. Discount I got put it under $100 (should be easy to find a code). Cheap and 3mm if you think it'll make a temperature difference. I have only raced once with a suit so didn't want to break the bank
Last edited by: KG6: Mar 16, 18 13:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rustyb04 wrote:
I am doing IM Texas in about 6 weeks. It's my first one in 9 years and am pretty pumped. I live in Vegas, so I am not familiar with Houston-area lake conditions. Is this typically a wetsuit legal race? If so, mine is pretty thick and for colder water than it would probably be at IM Texas. Can anyone recommend a thinner wetsuit for water temp approaching the temp limit? Thanks in advance for all responses.

Right at the temp borderline, wouldn't a swim skin be a good option?

Speed benefit? Yes
Not as hot? Yes
More useful than a sleeveless wetsuit? Likely

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Swimskin is probably better option. Are they legal if wetsuits are illegal? Are swim skins legal if wetsuits are optional but you can't be eligible for age group awards if you wear one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a USAT approved swimskin it's legal whether temps are wetsuit legal or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the more important info you need is that the visibility in the water is basically zero.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More useful than a sleeveless wetsuit? Likely //

Uh no. If it is wetsuit legal and you opt for just a swimskin, you are going to lose a lot to your competitors, and just plain be in the water longer than you would have. If it is borderline legal and you overheat easily, then go with the sleevless, it is only about 1 second a 100 slower than a full suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not arguing any of that. I didn't say a sleeveless was useless, I said a swim skin was useful. Get a swim skin, get a little speed, don't overheat, and you have something to use in nonwetsuit races (Kona, etc), and potentially in very short races where removing a wetsuit might be too much if a time penalty. Get a sleeveless, sure, add a little more speed, but it's only useful in borderline wetsuit legal races. I've done a lot of races (I know, I know, you've done many many more), and I've only ever done one non wetsuit race, and one borderline where I wished I hadn't worn it (ironically same race, two years in a row). Obviously that's a function of living in the PNW. I would find having a full suit and a skin more economical and versatile than a full and a sleeveless.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rustyb04 wrote:

Remember the first six IMTX races were three weeks later in date. It was wetsuit legal once during the six year run in mid to late May. Some years it was close. Some years it wasn't.

It only moved to April last year. So we only have one data point as reference. I did some research into historical water temps leading up to last year's race and what I found was the temp in Lake Woodlands was wetsuit legal on and around that date. I'm not sure I found one data point that suggested otherwise. Guess what? It was above the limit on race day.

I still think it ends up being wetsuit legal the majority of time. The lake is pretty shallow and warms up (and cools down) quickly so weather the week leading up to the race is going to be the factor. Warm and sunny, like last year, and it heats up. A little cooler and cloudy and you're wearing the neoprene.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly doesn't look like wetsuit friendly conditions in the long range forecast.... My sauna week with 2hr post-sauna dehydration start tomorrow! Hope the saunas and trainer rides without a fan help me cope with high 20s C temps on race day!!!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Apr 15, 18 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somebody in the FB group took a water temp this morning and posted the video, 66 F on the nose

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather has been all over the place recently - last week temps of high 60's and low 80's.
This past weekend saw lows at night in 40's then highs of mid 70's.
Saturday morning was washout for a bunch of events with thunderstorms then a glorious afternoon.
Today it was in the 50's this morning and will get to high 70's this afternoon.

Don't worry about the weather/temps until the days immediately before the race because it will change.
Worry about the alligators and water moccasins instead - although you won't be able to see them.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. The water temp right now is so meaningless. If the forecast holds it will not be wetsuit legal. But who the heck knows if it will hold.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
Worry about the alligators and water moccasins instead - although you won't be able to see them.

We call those swim handles. If you can't draft, just grab one and enjoy the ride to transition.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates on the current water temp?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
66 yesterday
Almost 68 today

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
71 today

Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't getting the temps from your Facebook feed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
68 today

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? Do you test the temp or just pass it from another source? If you do it, how and where in the pond?

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Really? Do you test the temp or just pass it from another source? If you do it, how and where in the pond?

See Tim's post above. He posts a video each day on his FB page.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently it was closer to 70 yesterday, and not 68. I misheard what Tim said in yesterday's video.

68 today.

High temps are forecasted to be in the upper 70's to lower 80's up to race day with night time temps in the upper 50's. It's 100% wetsuit legal if the forecast holds.

Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got into town looking for somewhere to swim in the coming week. I am a Y member but if anyone knows a good outdoor pool in the area as a North-easterner I would love to get in some laps with the sun on my shoulders.

there is no swimming in Lake Woodlands except race day correct?
Quote Reply

Prev Next