Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1x11 Question
Quote | Reply
Given the imminent arrival of the Shimano Ultegra RX-RD805 clutch derailleur, I'm contemplating jumping into the 1x11 experiment. My question pertains to gearing and general impressions. And yes I've read through many prior posts but can't seem to get a feel of whether it would work for me. I currently ride a 52-36 with a 11-28 and live in an area with some hills. No major climbs but typically a ride will have 3-8% grade with climbs from 1/4-1 mile long. This summer I'm signed up for Syracuse 70.3 and IMLP. My W/kg when I race will be 3.9 (currently 3.8 and trying to lose some winter fat).

So would a 1x11 work for me. In particular will I miss having all those gears, or conversely, are all those gears a waste? It would also seem that if I go this route then a 46t up front and a 11-34 in the rear should work (34 to 124 gear inches vs 36-110). I think I'd lose a little on the top as the 52-11 is 128 gear inches and 52-12 is 114 gear inches. Would this be the appropriate gearing for those two races?

Finally what are your experiences during races. did you curse not having the extra gears or do you just get used to it?

thx in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 Question [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the Sheldon Brown gear calculator to get comfortable with it myself. I spin out earlier on my 1x setup, but have come to terms with it, as it wasn't a great use of energy to be hammering my 52-11.

On very steep climbs I get out of the saddle more and needed to increase my top end power for higher grades. But for the most part that is a non-issue for Tri.

For what it is worth, I am running an 11-36. The jumps aren't all that bad. For a tri, I would probably be able to get away with 11-28 or maybe 11-32.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMStillTrying wrote:
Given the imminent arrival of the Shimano Ultegra RX-RD805 clutch derailleur, I'm contemplating jumping into the 1x11 experiment. My question pertains to gearing and general impressions. And yes I've read through many prior posts but can't seem to get a feel of whether it would work for me. I currently ride a 52-36 with a 11-28 and live in an area with some hills. No major climbs but typically a ride will have 3-8% grade with climbs from 1/4-1 mile long. This summer I'm signed up for Syracuse 70.3 and IMLP. My W/kg when I race will be 3.9 (currently 3.8 and trying to lose some winter fat).

So would a 1x11 work for me. In particular will I miss having all those gears, or conversely, are all those gears a waste? It would also seem that if I go this route then a 46t up front and a 11-34 in the rear should work (34 to 124 gear inches vs 36-110). I think I'd lose a little on the top as the 52-11 is 128 gear inches and 52-12 is 114 gear inches. Would this be the appropriate gearing for those two races?

Finally what are your experiences during races. did you curse not having the extra gears or do you just get used to it?

thx in advance.

Personally the best part about DI2 is the perfect front shifting, there is no reason to use 1x in my opinion....and that is coming from somebody who has a 1 x TT and 1 x CX bike. You will have two compromises: (1) larger jumps between gears, (2) likely reduced top end speed. You want to start with the limiter, the climbs. Therefore, like you stated, you need the 11-36 in the rear and likely a 46/48 up front to be comfortable on all climbs. The downside is the loss of pure top end speed if you are looking to push the downhills, but that does not seem to be a primary concern and honestly is a very fringe case.

From a personal standpoint the 11-36 is the best 1x cassette range i have found. The jumps are reasonable and the 36 is a great gear for really steep climbs. I switch my CX bike over to gravel racing mode every spring and run a 46 x 11-36 and have no problems with steep climbs or fast descents. At one point i used a 50 up front for gravel races but found it a little too much on the long climbs (4.7 w/kg FTP as a reference).
Quote Reply
Re: 1x11 Question [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to hear it from someone who has done both and doesn't sound like a converted vegan on the subject. I just don't get why you would???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 1x11 on both my TT and road bikes. TT has the Absolute Black 50t and the road has 52 SRAM X-Sync. Both have the SRAM 10~42 cassette.

This last weekend I used my road bike to ride up Palomar in San Diego (11.6mi, 4200ft, 7% avg). I did that ride Friday and Sunday. I have no problems climbing with that setup. Avg cadence was 88 and it took 1:13.

I used that setup on my TT bike for the last 3 years. Did IMAZ in November. I love having that 10t in the back...
Quote Reply