Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Baker's Cyst
Quote | Reply
Hello! I developed a bakers cyst at the end of February. I think I just did too much, hill workout, crossfit and a long run. It got misdiagnosed as runners knee. I went to a PT first and then a Chiro. The Chiro was excellent and was doing dry needling, cupping, graston, ART, etc. In the meantime I've been doing tons of single leg strengthening exercises.

She recommended that I get an MRI because she suspended a bakers cyst. Turns out it I did have a bakers cyst and it bursted already. I think this happened about a month ago when I was experiencing calf pain. The good news is that my knee is structurally fine, no tears or issues.

I saw an Orthopedist last week, and I was hoping to get it drained. He told me my body will reabsorb the fluid on it's own, and it's too risky to drain it. I've been able to bike and swim with no issues, but unable to run.

I'm looking for advice or insight from anyone who has had a bakers cyst. How long did it take you to heal? Any other information would be extremely helpful! Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Baker's Cyst [Biker123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi There,

I have the same issue and I've been dealing with it for over two years. My baker's cyst doesn't cause any pain and multiple MRI's show nothing structurally wrong with my knee. It's very frustrating as the medical community is unable to provide any guidance other than just managing the symptoms. I've done a lot of strength work the past year but it keeps coming back. It's very annoying but I don't think dangerous.
Quote Reply
Re: Baker's Cyst [Biker123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Medical evidence suggests that for an asymptomatic Baker cyst (it's there but not causing problems), you just deal with it and allow the excess fluid to resorb. But if it is symptomatic, i.e. painful, you can get an orthopedist to perform arthrocentesis (drain it with a needle and syringe) followed by an intraarticular glucocorticoid injection. The steroid injection should reduce the inflammatory process that is causing the joint to make the excess synovial fluid that is causing the cyst in the first place. For cysts that recur, if your ortho doesn't want to help you with it, maybe time to get another opinion.
Quote Reply