Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Non wetsuit swim
Quote | Reply
What do you wear when you don't use a wetsuit for the swim in a triathlon? Just ur normal tri-suit?
Quote Reply
Re: Non wetsuit swim [Roflpain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If its a non-wetsuit swim then use a swim skin .....but there are not that many non wetsuit swims for age groupers. If I recall its 24 degrees Celsius for the pros. All the major brands make swim skins so if you want to play it safe you can use the same brand and sizing for the swim skin.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Non wetsuit swim [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but there are not that many non wetsuit swims for age groupers

Depends on where you live. I've only had one wetsuit legal race personally (not that I'm super exerienced). Typically just wear my tri suit. Got a swim skin this year, but mostly because it was cheap for me at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Miami just swam in my tri suit top. Cozumel bought a Roka speedsuit. Latter is better
Quote Reply
Re: Non wetsuit swim [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you wear your speedsuit over your tri-suit?

Can u swim in your trisuit? It doesn't float that well and isn't that fast I suppose...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:

Can u swim in your trisuit? It doesn't float that well and isn't that fast I suppose...

Can you swim in a speedo? It provides no float... Of course you can ^^; Wetsuits are the fastest option because of buoyancy. Swim skins are second fastest because of the material (they provide no extra 'float') Tri-suits are acceptable as the material that covers your skin is "faster" than your skin.

Also, tri-suits companies like De Soto design the pad sewn into the tri-suits to provide some buoyancy during the swim. Their Riviera line also has covers on any pockets present to provide less drag in the water.

But as mentioned above, it is technically faster to just wear a swim skin/speedsuit over your trisuit if you can afford to.
Last edited by: toastygloveman: Apr 16, 18 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: Non wetsuit swim [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toastygloveman wrote:
Roflpain wrote:

Can you swim in a speedo? It provides no float... Of course you can ^^;

Yeah I explained meself a bit fast... lazy :)

Thx for the reply.

The main "problem" is that I didn't knew in what to swim when a wetsuit is not allowed. But my trisuit will do and maybe later i will buy a speedsuit. I could swim in a speedo but then my speedo will probably a pain in the ass when cycling and running. Or I go fully naked in T1. Didn't see that before so I guess no one does this :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:
I could swim in a speedo but then my speedo will probably a pain in the ass when cycling and running. Or I go fully naked in T1. Didn't see that before so I guess no one does this :)

Not so much ^^; Plus you would be disqualified for getting naked in T1 in all races that do not provide a changing tent (all race that is not full IM distance).

I have worn just my tri shorts during the swim before. I learned that this is not a good idea unless you have a FULL ZIP tri top to put on afterwards. Also wore a two piece tri-suit during the swim. This went fine, but it certainly wasn't my fastest swim. A trisuit would likely be better than any of those options!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim skin is good for a longer race 70.3 and up...the good ITU style trisuits work well in the shorter races and are the best option.

Kiwami, ZeroD

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Apr 16, 18 8:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:

Yes to the first question. I did Miami 70.3 with some friends 2013, but typically do wetsuit races living in California. Weighed buying a speesduit but decided too much money for one race (finally ended up getting one for Cozumel). I swam a 30, exact same time I swam 6 months later in New Orleans in a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:

Yes, wear ss over tri apparel.
Tri apparel is comfortable and efficient for biking and running w pad, mesh, pockets, zippers, etc, and the moisture managing fabrics are terrific!
All those things, unfortunately, are not very hydro dynamic, and depending on the content, some of the sublimated (ie, custom) fabrics, are not as fast in the water as standard nylon/spandex
Speedsuits can be made w different fabrics and a hydrodynamic coating and back zip, so you can take it off in transition quickly.
The more expensive speedsuits use a Yamamoto TX fabric w special hydrophilic treatment similar to what they use on the wetsuits.
It's pretty cool, when you drop water on the suit, it beads up and runs right off. Immersed in water, it sets up a boundary layer of water molecules which reduces friction.

PS. in my past life, I designed and developed Speedsuits and Wetsuits for 3 tri brands, so please feel free to PM me w questions.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply