Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar)
Quote | Reply
https://www.tri247.com/...iathlon-bike-turbine

I’ll embed photos in a bit but this is a genuinely interesting tri bike. The fork and chain stay clearance seems sufficient to run some legitimately large tires for training on bad roads. The base bar design is very clever IMO. I know Cervelo sort of did it first but I actually prefer this implementation. What remains to be seen is how you’ll have enough cable slack to actually remove those sections of the bar.

Last edited by: GreenPlease: Apr 17, 18 17:23
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In before the thread goes to shit with people yelling about disc brakes.

That basebar is super cool, but I agree with your comments around cable slack. It’ll be easy to have longer hoses if running hydro brakes to stuff in the frame, but not a whole lot of extra space available for the front brake hose.

I also find it interesting using the PD nose cone bottle. One of the great positives with disc brakes is the ability to run a super narrow headtube and fork crown. But then they end up slapping on a much wider bottle in front.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neat base bar. Overall the bike is quite ugly IMO. Overpriced as per the norm for Wilier. Especially since they’re not exactly industry leaders when it comes to aerodynamics.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7700 euros (9500 + USD) for the BASE model.

Just what Triathlon needs. Another dentist bike. No wonder the sport is dying.

Young person just out of college who could potentially be a lifelong triathlete: "I'd like to try a tri!"

Triathletes: "Great! All you need is a 10000 dollar bike, a 400 dollar race kit, a 500 dollar helmet, 200 dollar sunnies, 100 dollar running shoes, 300 dollar biking shoes, 3000 dollar wheels, and to pay 180 bucks for a 1 hr race (just checked the price for the spring sprint in San diego: it's $180, for a sprint. You read that right)

Young person: "um, I hear Spartan races are cool! I think I'll do that instead"
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody buys a tri bike to try a triathlon. Entry level is a road bike, of which many budget options are available. Nobody tells people just trying the sport that they have to buy all that stuff. Race entries are pretty rediculous though.
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PD seems to be kicking ass a lot in the custom market doing bars and hydration for teams that are already working on new tri frames. I suspect it saves the bike companies a ton of time to have that stuff just handled by people who know what they are doing when it comes to designing bottles and brackets that can actually work.

I suspect PD had a hand in that bar as well. It looks 100% like their hardware.
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PD hardware above the basebar. The basebar is Wilier so they could design fork/stem/frame together. This gives teams/fitters/riders the ability to tap in to the PD range of aftermarket products. So the Wilier Team camp fitting sessions allowed riders to choose from a range of armrests (mostly the Race) and extensions. And the bike automatically has a huge adjustment range and tilt function so that it fits most people. Neither of which are typically the case when a bike brand builds a bar. And it saves the bike brand a lot of money as forging that Aeria Ultimate bracket is not cheap.

The HSF Aeria bottle cost as much to develop as if PD had decided to release a tri bike with a good range of sizes... Which is far too much to spend on a bottle for most brands.

As far as the complaint above about expensive bikes. A small brand sells so few tri bikes that breaking even over a 5 year product lifetime would be a satisfactory outcome. So either they don't bother (and we're left with just the bikes from the big guys, who are in no hurry to invest in tri) or they put in the work to produce something worthwhile and accept that it's going to be priced at the boutique end of the market. If you want to blame someone - blame the big companies for not making a $1500 carbon bike with all the features you like. Additionally there is more info than ever about how little difference the top end stuff makes, so once someone has entered the sport on a road bike and is looking for a tri bike, a modicum of effort will mean they are not meaningfully held back by equipment with fairly low (in the context of middle class hobbies) expenditure.
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an interesting data point, and surprising to me at least.

While I certainly expect that kind of product to be quite expensive to produce, I would not have guessed it was frame-level money. There are a ton of different parts though.

I have purchased 2 bottles and one stem, and will likely grab at least one more bottle. I would rather have the Canyon or Scott version and build the brackets myself vs. using that abomination of a stem. Its truly bad. I may have to buy one more of them, but I will not do it with a smile on my face.
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Neat base bar. Overall the bike is quite ugly IMO. Overpriced as per the norm for Wilier. Especially since they’re not exactly industry leaders when it comes to aerodynamics.

Newsflash: ALL modern tri bikes are fugly.
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:

Newsflash: ALL modern tri bikes are fugly.

I wouldn't say the Argon, Scott or Canyon to mention a few are ugly
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

As far as the complaint above about expensive bikes. A small brand sells so few tri bikes that breaking even over a 5 year product lifetime would be a satisfactory outcome. So either they don't bother (and we're left with just the bikes from the big guys, who are in no hurry to invest in tri) or they put in the work to produce something worthwhile and accept that it's going to be priced at the boutique end of the market. If you want to blame someone - blame the big companies for not making a $1500 carbon bike with all the features you like. Additionally there is more info than ever about how little difference the top end stuff makes, so once someone has entered the sport on a road bike and is looking for a tri bike, a modicum of effort will mean they are not meaningfully held back by equipment with fairly low (in the context of middle class hobbies) expenditure.

Not buying your arguement that a smaller company can't make an innovative Superbike at a reasonable cost.

Premier tactical made a super slippery, sexy looking bike that comes with wheels for HALF the price of this bike and is roughly equal to the cost of buying a P2 and a nice wheelset.

It can be done.

As far as your "a modicum of effort" arguement: I'm not sure you really know what that word means.

Doing Triathlon on the cheap is a pain in the ass. The sports reputation for being a pastime elitist rich people is well deserved and earned and only reinforced by all the overpriced gear
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only reason the premier tactical is so relatively cheap is because of prior relationships with factories. That isn't exactly something most small bike companies will have available. So no, most new small bike companies are going to have to be expensive because they will have much higher manufacturing costs.

Also, cheaper bikes exist. Go buy a Felt B12. Go buy a felt s22. Go buy a premier tactical then. Vote with your money. But don't then go complain that companies aren't innovating, when it doesn't provide a financial return. Also, doing triathlon on the cheap is easy. I bought a p2c on Craigslist. I have Flo wheels, and a used powermeter. Do i want a fancy new bike? Yes. Until then I'll be more than happy to win races with what i have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Premier tactical made a super slippery, sexy looking bike that comes with wheels for HALF the price of this bike and is roughly equal to the cost of buying a P2 and a nice wheelset.
It can be done.

Only by selling direct. Which for a company like Wilier means destroying their existing distribution network. Would they survive a move like that? Premier Tactical will be making a lot more margin than Wilier. Canyon make the most of all.
The performance of the Wilier is unknown of course, so we don't know what the relative value is like. The performance of the Premier is pretty much equal to a P2 with upgrades to an equivalent value, so it's priced about right. The last bit of performance costs a lot.

Quote:
As far as your "a modicum of effort" arguement: I'm not sure you really know what that word means.

Or my standards of effort are different to yours. I did my first tyre testing rolling down a hill and marking with chalk where I stopped. Aero testing by doing time trials. Very cheap (I think the time trials were $2 a time and the box of chalk about the same).

Quote:
Doing Triathlon on the cheap is a pain in the ass. The sports reputation for being a pastime elitist rich people is well deserved and earned and only reinforced by all the overpriced gear

Most things are. Living in general foremost on the list. I don't think we can escape the fact that tri will always be a lot more expensive than running. Sure it can be more inclusive and needs to make the effort to be so but there is always going to be a cost barrier when swimming and cycling are involved. Blaming a bike manufacturer for releasing a bike that they won't make money on (most will go to the teams) is rather missing the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talked to a Wilier bike shop in the US today. This bike isn't shipping to the US until September (they're taking pre-orders now) and the cheapest build available with Ultegra Di2 and some lower-spec Mavic wheels will be $9,500.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they’re priced to not sell...
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated with photos.

Edit: sheesh, look at the fork clearance. It looks like you could run a 30mm+ CX tire in there!
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Apr 17, 18 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super slack seat angle - And in general, say no to Italian triathlon bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

I just want to watch this with the Transformer’s noise in the background.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice the basebar breaks down--really it is. I'd love that for packing efficiency. But what about the extensions? Do they come off easily somehow?
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My best guess:

See the 2 holes in the removeable basebar section? I bet 2 bolts enter the bottom of the basebar, pass through the 2 holes of the removeable portion, then bolt into the extension holder.
So when you remove those 2 bolts, you can then pull out the basebar (as seen in the gif) and pop off the extension clamps.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that would have been good to animate as well, I guess. that was my thought too, but it didn't explicitly show that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
7700 euros (9500 + USD) for the BASE model.

Just what Triathlon needs. Another dentist bike. No wonder the sport is dying.

I totally agree on "average" TT/tri bikes being overpriced. In fact, bikes in general are getting ludicrous to what was available just a few years ago. I get a very substantial sponsorship discount off MSRP, and can't justify replacing something that is 2 years old since the new stuff doesn't offer any advantages. Better off buying used.

Regarding Wilier, I'm friends with a dealer. This bike really is targeted to the "dentist" crowd. The people I know buying WIlier's are NOT getting them stock. They usually throw in a few extra $K on different wheels, bar swaps, bling, etc.

BTW, I'm perfectly happy on my tricked out P2. I can't seem to recall anyone beating me, because they have a better bike...;)

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to care when it's a bike that most people, myself included, can't afford. I hear industry leaders complaining that overall bike sale volume is down and then I see what they are releasing. Is anyone surprised? When is the last time you saw a major bike release that was targeted at the mid level ground ($3000-$4500)? Instead, whenever we see a new bike come out, we think "cool, now the mid level stuff might be a little better". Most of us literally shrug off the high end because we know it is unobtainable and I would think more focus on this "meat" of the market would provide more revenue than only focusing on the highest end, but maybe I underestimate how large the dentist market is.
Quote Reply
Re: New Disc Brake Tri Bike: Wilier Turbine (With a Genuinely Nifty Base Bar) [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tech does trickle down though. It just doesn't make a big splash because it was introduced a while ago on higher end models so customers are desensitized by then. The current P3 takes a lot of design cues form the P5 but it won't get people excited if they've seen them on the P5. Without the dentist-sponsored P5, it's unlikely the P3 would be as fast as it is
Quote Reply

Prev Next