Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf
Quote | Reply
Ok, this should be fun in Port Elizabeth South Africa this weekend. Amberger lead the Kona swim last year, but Wurf had the Sanders+Kienle train in Kona. Josh went went sub 8 at IM Cairns, and never let Wurf get away on the bike and then put down a 2:53 marathon. Wurf, put the hurt on Josh at IM South Africa last year.

So the game is on between the two Aussies at IM South Africa this weekend. Josh is low in KPR so needs some solid points to requalify for Kona. Wurf is likely wrapped up for Kona.

But these guys have to beat Hoffman, Cunama and a few other solid entrants in the pro field.

I traded fb messages with Josh. He was getting on the plane from Perth to Johannesburg and is ready to rip. Hopefully a solid day like he put down in Cairns (hey, I gotta cheer for the 62 kilo pro ironman guys as they are a almost a non existent species in the pro field or in the age group KQ group).

OK, go Josh (if it was not already clear who I am cheering for) , but want to see both of these guys running neck and neck right into the finish line at Nelson Mandela Bay!!!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna be a good race for sure! If Amberger is fit, Wurf will need a big run pr or a monster bike for the win. I'm rooting for wurfie, but think Hoffman will be tough to beat.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wurf will need a big run pr or a monster bike for the win. //

Actually he will need both to win. He will lose some time in the swim, and their will be very good runners chasing him throughout the run. He needs a good lead, and he needs to have a very good run for him. Should be a good test with lots of great athletes to keep the race honest..
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure. If Hoffman bikes a 4:25 like last year and runs low 2:40s he would need a 4:15 and 2:50 run. 10 min faster on the bike is quite probable considering he was 10 min faster in Kona, he has been doing some solid runs lately as well so maybe we will see a low 2:50 for him as well. I know how bad he wants the sub 8 so he will be going for it since Kona is in the bag anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Wurf will need a big run pr or a monster bike for the win. //

Actually he will need both to win. He will lose some time in the swim, and their will be very good runners chasing him throughout the run. He needs a good lead, and he needs to have a very good run for him. Should be a good test with lots of great athletes to keep the race honest..

Monty, Wurf may just be a few min behind Josh after the swim and in line with Hoffman. When it is wetsuit in salt water he can hit first pack! So really it is about how fast Wurf can run.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Ok, this should be fun in Port Elizabeth South Africa this weekend. Amberger lead the Kona swim last year, but Wurf had the Sanders+Kienle train in Kona. Josh went went sub 8 at IM Cairns, and never let Wurf get away on the bike and then put down a 2:53 marathon. Wurf, put the hurt on Josh at IM South Africa last year.

So the game is on between the two Aussies at IM South Africa this weekend. Josh is low in KPR so needs some solid points to requalify for Kona. Wurf is likely wrapped up for Kona.

But these guys have to beat Hoffman, Cunama and a few other solid entrants in the pro field.

I traded fb messages with Josh. He was getting on the plane from Perth to Johannesburg and is ready to rip. Hopefully a solid day like he put down in Cairns (hey, I gotta cheer for the 62 kilo pro ironman guys as they are a almost a non existent species in the pro field or in the age group KQ group).

OK, go Josh (if it was not already clear who I am cheering for) , but want to see both of these guys running neck and neck right into the finish line at Nelson Mandela Bay!!!

Dev

I really like both Josh and Cam, but I can't see them beating Hoffman.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffman is the one to beat at IMSA.

Wurf's run is certainly getting better and his swim at Kona obviously wasn't a reflection of how well he can swim. But don't see him being close to Hoffman with 10k to go.

vittorio wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev

I really like both Josh and Cam, but I can't see them beating Hoffman.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race is underway! Josh swam fast, 46:24 and had a bit over a min gap on the pack which also swam very fast. Hoffman was a min behind the pack, and Wurf another min behind. Josh is still in the lead at 50k in the bike, but Wurf is now in second and Hoffman has moved to 5th place.

On the womens side Lucy got a 5 min gap!!! after swimming 47 and still has a 5 min lead on Morel and McBride 45k into the bike with Cheetham and Pallant almost 8 min behind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wurf is now in the lead and has dropped Amberger and pretty sure there was some smack talk going on when he passed, but couldn't hear what he said. But the real story is Lucy MF Charles! Damn that girl can swim and bike! Crushing it solo and now has a 7 min lead, and if she keeps this pace up she will be 15 min ahead at T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Wurf is now in the lead and has dropped Amberger and pretty sure there was some smack talk going on when he passed, but couldn't hear what he said. But the real story is Lucy MF Charles! Damn that girl can swim and bike! Crushing it solo and now has a 7 min lead, and if she keeps this pace up she will be 15 min ahead at T2.

Agree Lucy is on fire. Now she just needs to focus on landing at Kona at absolute peak!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is she wearing? Long shoe covers? Also gloves...
The aeria hydration... looks like athlete who has most interest in aerodynamics is Lucy.. would be nice to know how she has been testing that setup..

—
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe they are compression calf sleeves, and yeah she does seem to be very focused on being as slippery as possible. Her T1 was around 45s slower than the others, but if that saves her a few watts she makes it up quickly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coverage looks quite good for once!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
coverage looks quite good for once!

Yeah it’s strange, not much of a field and fantastic coverage, Ironman is all over the place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain what's on the front of her bike? I thought fairings were illegal - does it serve an additional purpose?
Thanks,
Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean her hydration? If so its a aeria ultimate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just looked that system up - thank you!
Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam finished the bike in 4:19:44 3s off the course record. 4% are on and he looks quite good taking a loot of nutrition early. He just got a warning about his zipper lol.
5:17 gap to Burgs entering T2 but he seems to be making up some time in transition. Hoff came in 5th to T2 and Buckingham third almost 10 min behind Wurf.
Hoff is not looking too good from the start, hopefully the epic didn't take too much out of him and he will be back soon!

Last edited by: oscaro: Apr 15, 18 2:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Wurf might be able to hang on. The second half of the marathon will be critical obviously.

Lucy is amazing as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must say, Wurf is pretty impressive.

Olympic rower, pro cyclist and now pro IM athlete. And all by age 34.

Plus he's a hoot in interviews.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man I've had a good laugh at the commentators saying "It's been proven time and time again that if you are in a good position in the second half of the marathon, you have a good chance of finishing well"
Jokes aside, props to them, can't be easy trying to find things to talk about for 8h.
Hoping Wurfie hangs on, he's a fresh breeze in the sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
I believe they are compression calf sleeves, and yeah she does seem to be very focused on being as slippery as possible. Her T1 was around 45s slower than the others, but if that saves her a few watts she makes it up quickly.

I was curious how long it took her to put all that on, that’s not too bad at all. And when you get a 5 min gap you can afford to do so.

The IM instagram post with swim start videos is amazing, Lucy dropped all those girls in less than 50m. She was hauling.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
oscaro wrote:

I was curious how long it took her to put all that on, that’s not too bad at all. And when you get a 5 min gap you can afford to do so.

The IM instagram post with swim start videos is amazing, Lucy dropped all those girls in less than 50m. She was hauling.

Lucy and Daniela are going to fight this year in Kona. I think Lucy is going to start winning.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Front Pack Rehearsal at IM South Africa: Amberger - Wurf [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I agree it went quite quickly! Saw a few other pros with calf sleeves as well!

Wurf just passed 8k averaging 3:50, which is 2:41 pace. Certainly if he can keep this pace up no one will have a chance! He needs a sub 2:45 to break 8 which is of course a massive pr.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has something happened with Hoffman? Looks like his first 2.6km or whatever took over 20 min?

I'm a big fan of Wurf, but no way is he holding that pace. Ii my hoping he can run 2:55, that should put him in the mix here
Last edited by: rock: Apr 15, 18 3:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next