Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou
Quote | Reply
As most people probably predicted , Ali won with ease:

S - 21:49 (current assisted)
B - 2:01:16 (easily the fastest split)

He had over 8mins at T2 and ran a 1:16:22

He’s a beast on the bike and can run pretty well when fit and swam away from the field.

Can’t wait for more races with stronger fields to see how they all go.

https://www.facebook.com/...ts/10156260503904868

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Last edited by: BayDad: Apr 14, 18 3:26
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crazy this Craig Alexander with 44 years old...
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the real story :)

longtrousers wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea he was even racing a 70.3 so soon after Commwealth games, thought he wasn't fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think his CG performance was lack of fitness. I think it was lack of race specifity, so for a guy like Ali who’s training volume has always been legendarily high, he can still “fake” a 1:16 run and win, he’s that fit to go fast enough.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:

longtrousers wrote:

His run!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

longtrousers wrote:

His run!

legend
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was injury. In Australia we had Royal doing commentary for com games and he said Ali had only started run training 10 days before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right which is why he couldnt meet itu run demands but could take advantage of his swim+bike strength to then have a "pedestrian" 1:16 half and still win.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
It was injury. In Australia we had Royal doing commentary for com games and he said Ali had only started run training 10 days before the race.[/quote

Begs the question then how did he smash out a fast half, and more so ...why? Not like it was a big pay day race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
need to see what he can do against sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ali vs Frodo is the real match up, both very evenly balanced. Sanders won't even see the front of the race all day
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
It was injury. In Australia we had Royal doing commentary for com games and he said Ali had only started run training 10 days before the race.[/quote

Begs the question then how did he smash out a fast half, and more so ...why? Not like it was a big pay day race.

Big difference between a 1:16 half and running a 14:30 5k which is what Birtwhistle produced at Comm games. Brownlee ran a 1:09 in Dubai, so 1:16 is phoning it in, he won on the bike.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Apr 14, 18 15:59
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

We have already seen it. He “easily” beat Sanders, who was working with Keinle on the bike, last year at St George. It was almost instant reply later in the year except Ali pulled out of the run due to injury.
If he is healthy, only Frodeno has a chance to beat him. Gomez is not currently strong enough on the bike to have a chance
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
stevie g wrote:

We have already seen it. He “easily” beat Sanders, who was working with Keinle on the bike, last year at St George. It was almost instant reply later in the year except Ali pulled out of the run due to injury.
If he is healthy, only Frodeno has a chance to beat him. Gomez is not currently strong enough on the bike to have a chance

Not sure if a 33 second margin constitutes easily. What was Alistair's "injury" at the Challenge Samorin Championships? Too tired from motor pacing the photo moto too hard? Too hot from the mid 20C. temperatures? He seemed fine at Leeds a short while later. I'd say the score was one all right now.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
stevie g wrote:

Not sure if a 33 second margin constitutes easily. What was Alistair's "injury" at the Challenge Samorin Championships? Too tired from motor pacing the photo moto too hard? Too hot from the mid 20C. temperatures? He seemed fine at Leeds a short while later. I'd say the score was one all right now.

There is no convincing a hater, but if you want to be objective- “racers” like Brownlee, do not care about the time or margin of victory, only winning. He clearly cruised in on the run in St George, just as he did yesterday in China. You want to whine about moto pacing, but ignore Keinles admission that he and Sanders “worked together” on the bike, and they still finished with essentially the same gap they started with. You also do not seem to understand that the bike leader has no control over how the lead moto spaces himself. Do you really expect the bike leader to slow down? Brownlee was clearly sick or injured at Challege Samorin- it was even mentioned by Keinle in his post race interview, and more than likely a factor in his withdrawal from Chattanooga, and the remainder of the season. Ask any of the top pros itu, or WTC who is the strongest swim/bike (and run) in the sport and you will only hear Brownlee. Brownlee has a history of illness and injury, but only a hater would question his talent, and his drive to win- Sanders being the only one to come close to what he will push his body to do in order to win. Why all the hate? Did he kick your puppy?
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownlee was clearly sick or injured at Challege Samorin- it was even mentioned by Keinle in his post race interview, and more than likely a factor in his withdrawal from Chattanooga, and the remainder of the season.

-------

Except was it a week or 2 weeks later he went and won ITU Leeds.....I think the other guy was simply saying Ali looked dominant in the Challenge race until he couldnt even hold himself up. You want to claim "sick" or "injured", that's fine.

That's being objective...dont claim it was a likely season ending injury at Challenge Champs but same athlete raced an ITU field and WON shortly after Challenge event. He's the greatest, but he isnt immune from racing himself into trouble either....

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 14, 18 18:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Brownlee was clearly sick or injured at Challege Samorin- it was even mentioned by Keinle in his post race interview, and more than likely a factor in his withdrawal from Chattanooga, and the remainder of the season.

-------

Except was it a week or 2 weeks later he went and won ITU Leeds.....I think the other guy was simply saying Ali looked dominant in the Challenge race until he couldnt even hold himself up. You want to claim "sick" or "injured", that's fine.

That's being objective...dont claim it was a likely season ending injury at Challenge Champs but same athlete raced an ITU field and WON shortly after Challenge event. He's the greatest, but he isnt immune from racing himself into trouble either....

Agree 100%. Brownlee has a history of racing himself into trouble, but keep in mind the Leads is a home course for him, and did not have a strong field. Very unlikely that he had to push too hard. I am fairly certain that Leads was 6 days later. My primary point on Brownlee, is that he has proven over and over, that when he is healthy, and it is a “big” race, he wins- nobody has been able to beat him when he is 100%.
I enjoy watching athletes like Brownlee and Sanders who will literally kill themselves to get a win. They both remind me of Prefontaine :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
Ali vs Frodo is the real match up, both very evenly balanced. Sanders won't even see the front of the race all day

Both Brownlee's and Gomez about 1minute on Frodo at Oly distance, how are Frodo and Ali evenly matched but Gomez isn't?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

-------

He didn’t look dominant in Samorin though, he had a terrible swim, not even close to holding Vargas feet.
But i think that is his weakness, he’s prone to having terrible races due to injury or sickness.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Apr 14, 18 19:19
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Gomez will hang with Ali and Frodo on the bike over 180km if Ali and Frodo push the pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
I don't think Gomez will hang with Ali and Frodo on the bike over 180km if Ali and Frodo push the pace.

So Ali and Frodo are going to gap Gomez + the other front pack athletes when they go on the attack with the uber bikers?

Is that what your saying?

Or are you saying it'll be the uber bikers on the attack, 1st chase pack- Ali + Frodo, 2nd chase pack Gomez and the other previous front pack swimmeres/bikers?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Brownlees have a sister name Ali?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But i think that is his weakness, he’s prone to having terrible races due to injury or sickness.

--------

Does it always have to be an injury or sickness though? Can he just have a bad day, or can he just race stupid some times and we call it that? Or does every bad race have some excuse?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Ali and Frodo are uber bikers. I think if the other uber bikers catch them the pace will lift and Gomez will get dropped, perhaps losing a minute or two. The I think Ali would run sub 2:40, Frodo perhaps a little slower than Ali. Gomez might pass Frodo in the second half of the run, but once he loses contact with Ali I don't see him catching him again
Quote Reply

Prev Next