Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Patellar Tendonitis – What worked for you? [eappel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the knee strap go above or below the knee?

Can I use an ITB band strap?

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Re: Patellar Tendonitis – What worked for you? [rjsurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patellar tendonitis on right knee in summer 2010 till spring 2011.

MRI showed micro tears and not much choice after thorough research.
My sports doctor mentioned Platelet Rich Plasma injection (PRP), did my homework and went for it in March 2011.
Very painful for me but pain subsided and then almost disappeared within 4-5 weeks. PT + quads strengthening and stretching (the pain will worsen if muscles are tight) ice and common sense helped a lot.

Before the injection, I limped to finish a sprint tri in Sept 2010. Post injection, I Finished a sprint in 1:25:xx with a 23min 5k and most importantly... no pain. (MOP so not great but happy with it after all the trouble)

One year later and 2 Half IM + 1 half marathon I am much better. Now, If I get sloppy and lazy on the stretching, icing or strengthening it hurts a bit but nothing like before.

Hang on man as there is a way out of Pat tendonitis. Patience, your own blood and science are on your side! Feel free to shoot me a question if you want.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Patellar Tendonitis – What worked for you? [Bancarel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Foam roller. Quads, ITB's and calfs. This cured and continues to keep my patellar pain away.
Quote Reply
Re: Patellar Tendonitis – What worked for you? [regnihe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
regnihe wrote:
Foam roller. Quads, ITB's and calfs. This cured and continues to keep my patellar pain away.

This....

It solved my problem. Make sure you're cleats are well aligned and haven't shifted. I also added Ice, topical anti-inflamatories, and they did Cold Laser/ultrasound on it. I think the laser and ultra sound helped the immediate healing because I could tell if I didn't get in 2 times a week. The comment above is what I credit to the lasting fix. Best of luck. Mine lingered until the off season and then faded away.
Quote Reply
Re: Patellar Tendonitis – What worked for you? [regnihe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
regnihe wrote:

DOT

Was diagnosed PT a while back. Had to take several weeks off of running. Mine was caused by conjunction of overuse, heel striking and ramping the running mileage too aggressively.
Rest and a black foam roller became my best friends.

Came back to running with new shoes that facilitated mid-foot striking and took it easy for the first couple of weeks. I used the foam roller every day religiously, whether i ran or not. So far, it has not returned.

Good luck and i wish you a speedy recovery.

Quote Reply
Re: Patellar Tendonitis � What worked for you? [BayAreaUser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been struggling with this almost 2 years. I have an active job and just seems to prevent me making any progress, im trying decline eccentric squats. May have to up the sets and reps but every time I try that it feels like the pain is increasing way too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Patellar Tendonitis � What worked for you? [joshua767] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone a bit different, but knee is hinge joint so work hip and ankle too. I use rumble roller on quads. If I slack off it comes back especially when putting more miles on bike which taxes outside quad and tends to pull patella a tad off. Strap wise I use Tendon Trak until I get it sorted out mobility wise. Weak glute medius is often culprit too. Don't give up trying. I thought 14 years ago my running was over, but battled thru several injuries to knees and back to say things are ok for this geezer. Ketogenic diet pointed out how bad carbs were for me inflammation wise, so when aches and pains start surfacing I get better on diet, but hard to stay ketogenic all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Patellar Tendonitis � What worked for you? [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much. I will look into keto diet and see if that helps. I bought a strap but I am unsure as whether to use it as I have heard mixed reviews. After 2 years off exercise I have taken up rowing only using my left (strong) leg. I am now foam rolling 3x per day and carrying out eccentric decline squats at the end of every day. When I have days off I am fine but when I am on shift its hard to avoid knee pain due to all the stairs. How long did you suffer from it? I will continue to stretch too and hopefully move onto strengthening my glutes and hamstrings when me knee feels up to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use mobilitywod.com for mobility and mechanic references. It requires a subscription but you get free 10 day trial and can opt for monthly or yearly subscriptions.

Get 10!day free and go to programming button and then to episodes. There are drop downs for body part and pick knee and look for episode 91 knee tendinitis and watch 45 minutes. You have tension in system that impacts knee. This will help u understand what is likely going on. The solutions are suggested but require finding right one. For me distraction with pushing on tibia gives my joint better extension.

Also lots of free stuff on YouTube search kelly starrett knee pain and look at short vignettes on terminal knee extension TKE as reference and pick from multitude of shows. YouTube stuff is good but not as good as pay for website.

Mwod also has directory of PTs in your area that could help.

As reference I am 70 and battled since 55 with knees issues & others likely caused by desk job and poor hip flexors and weak glute medius.

Upright health is another good site too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go see a good PT. I dealt with it most of last year and while I'm not 100% pain free it is loads better. For me it was lack of hip flexor strength and it just cascaded down the line to eventually the knee. Was put on a bunch of leg and balance strengthening daily with low weights/bodyweight and high reps.

Definitely got better because of it. Plus seeing the PT helped motivate me better to stick with the rehab exercises. I did the eccentric squats and it helped but was only a temporary help when I returned to running or cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Patellar Tendonitis � What worked for you? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you so much for the support, replies and links. I will definetly check that out. I have made great progress in the last week by doing thorough foam rolling of all leg muscles 3x per day. I am doing stretches on the big muscle groups + hip flexors and IT band which I had previously neglected. Taking a big dosage of cod liver oil 2x per day as long as 1000mg of vitamin C. I have also ordered gel insoles for my work boots so I'll see how that goes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next