Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
BenKanute wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
What is your nutrition for a 70.3? Wake-Up, In-Race, and Victory Meal!

I just now gave a race nutrition post, so pre race is 1 to 1.5 cups applesauce, some toast, a banana, and a bottle of sports drink. Post race is always local. In Texas it was BBQ!

Color me square, but where do I find that?

For the race nutrition? It is a few posts up...the first one I replied to (It was only a few min before responding to yours). It is pretty basic overall. Couple bottles of Precision Hydration with about 5 gels throughout the bike/run.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [BenKanute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard you’re throwing down in a 1500. Any expectations? I’m eager to see you race on the track.

Did you go to the Waste Management Open? If so, did you yell “dilly dilly”

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Last edited by: Once-a-miler: Apr 12, 18 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
did you push that one guy down on the bike

I can’t stop laughing at this. And, I’m eagerly awaiting the answer.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
What’s the post Tokyo view on 140.6 racing?

Any interesting modifications to your SC?

I think I may be ready to think about racing that far post 2020. Long course seems to suit my strengths well and Ironman racing does intrigue me.

Nothing too crazy! Just normal bontrager accessories.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

I’ll answer that: no, that was Starky
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
I heard you’re throwing down in a 1500. Any expectations? I’m eager to see you race on the track.

Yes he is doing the 1500 on Saturday at UCSD Triton Invitational. I will be yelling "dilly dilly" at him during the race.

And for those interested, Talbot Cox has posted his Texas 70.3 video:

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:

Yes he is doing the 1500 on Saturday at UCSD Triton Invitational. I will be yelling "dilly dilly" at him during the race.

And for those interested, Talbot Cox has posted his Texas 70.3 video:

Sub 3:45?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenKanute wrote:
Poon wrote:

I think I may be ready to think about racing that far post 2020. Long course seems to suit my strengths well and Ironman racing does intrigue me.

My opinion doesn’t mean anything, but I hate to see guys go long real early. Your range right now is so incredible, and it seems like once folks really train for 140.6 they are leaving ITU forever. Obviously tha is a uniquely individual decision.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your sense on your development as an ITU 10k runner? I feel like you were working with Ryan B on that and continue to make gains.

From your Superfly (shudder...hate that new name) podcast interviews I get the sense of how the running powemeter applies to 70.3 racing, and I understand you won’t likely use it in ITU racing. Does it help with 10k training?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BenKanute wrote:
I am happy to fill in the gaps and answer any questions you might have!

What was the pass like on the bike by Starky. Did you feel like he really surged to make the pass and keep the lead? Did you attempt to go with him? Have you visited the wind tunnel and done any testing on that sleeved kit? I know you are one of the best swimmers in long-course but what did you do with the sleeved suit (ie roll it down or keep it up) for the swim. If you kept it up, did you have any restriction at all during the swim? Back to the wind tunnel, let's talk helmet selection. Is that a borrowed Wing 57? I can't imagine you would have selected to use that helmet as a well-supported Trek athlete unless you actually tested it and it was fast on you.

The pass was pretty normal. I took the time to stand and stretch a bit so I would drop back quick enough. I upped my effort a bit, but knew I could let him get away a bit. I just didn't want to follow and blow up.

No wind tunnel testing, but extensive bike fit and virtual wind tunnel testing with Cyclologic. Taken a lot of years but dialing in fit slowly. No data on materials or anything like that.

No restriction at all with suit up. I love the new WYN suits. I have tried a couple long sleeved suits where chafing occurs around the armpits, but the material feels really good on the suit I used in Texas. My TYR wetsuit also worked out well and no chafing or arm restriction there.

Nope. Helmet is mine. I have signed a deal with Rudy Project this year, and I have been happy with how their equipment is working out for me. I spoke with Trek before this and they were great. They support me in so many ways
And were happy to let me pursue a sunglasses and helmet deal. In fact, non of my sponsors are petty or overcontroling, and any gear I race in is well thought out and there is a discussion on all fronts with each sponsor.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
mungub50 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

I’ll answer that: no, that was Starky

Hmmmm. Disappointing. I like that dude.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:

No real expectations. I just raced a half and body is feeling good, but 6 days out from a big effort is always a crap shoot.

I did get to go, but no did not do too much heckling. Triathlon needs to have its own version of the 16th hole!
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
BenKanute wrote:
Poon wrote:

My opinion doesn’t mean anything, but I hate to see guys go long real early. Your range right now is so incredible, and it seems like once folks really train for 140.6 they are leaving ITU forever. Obviously tha is a uniquely individual decision.

I agree. I have a lot of triathlon goals that I want to accomplish. There is always the pressure to go longer, and some day I will, but it will be well thought out and not rushed.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
What is your sense on your development as an ITU 10k runner? I feel like you were working with Ryan B on that and continue to make gains.

From your Superfly (shudder...hate that new name) podcast interviews I get the sense of how the running powemeter applies to 70.3 racing, and I understand you won’t likely use it in ITU racing. Does it help with 10k training?

I feel I am becoming a more mature runner. It doesn't always seem like there is big progress on the results sheet, but my pacing is so much better than the past. The stryd has actually shown this a lot in ITU races. It may not be useful for me in the race necessarily, but post race analysis has been key for Jim and I to loom at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time you're in Phoenix will you do a clinic...cuz, I totally just found out you're here a ton [live?]?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [muohio2004] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
muohio2004 wrote:
What was your average power on the run and did you have a wattage range? How much higher is your power on the run than the bike?

Article is up:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...s_Shootout_6800.html

Pictures of the data are hard to read, even in the Gallery, so reposting here with links to the images as bigger files:

[url=https://ibb.co/jbenp7][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/dvN7p7][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/hoPbhS][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/nDEL97][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/di1NNS][/url]

Sorry, hope this helps.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting these. I was just exploding my screen and squinting my eyes trying to see the data.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenKanute wrote:
monty wrote:
What does a typical swim set look like right now in full triathlon training? Lets say 20X100's or 10x200's(pace and interval). And something a lot of the folks here are gossiping about right now, do you do any pulling?? (-;

Nice job too, I used to love to race in the weather you had that day, seems to suit you too it looks like?

I do a variety of swim workouts, but haven't done 20x100 or 10x200 in awhile. Pace for those all depends on rest interval. I have really worked on top end speed this year and have seen my 100 all out consistently 50-52 and 200s in 1:50 give or take. That is with a lot of rest. Threshold is probably 00 and can roll a 1:05 base.

I do a lot of pulling. I like it though and have never had shoulder issues from it.

Coming from a big swim background, do you find that emphasizing pulling in your workouts is more beneficial for triathlon and open water swimming?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many days after a 70.3 do you find to be 100% back to normal and on a normal training schedule again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your race. Great to see some results coming your way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for coming on Ben, really cool on your part.

Will you be going back to Island House and 70.3 Worlds this year?

Why did you pick Texas over Oceanside? Any particular reason or it came down to travel logistics?

All the best this 2018!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the win.

Over the bumpy bridge did you wish you had less pressure in your tyres? What tyre/pressure were you running?

Given how fast your T2 was am I right in guessing you didn't try to put socks on your numb feet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to know if you can dunk a basketball.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
BenKanute wrote:
monty wrote:
What does a typical swim set look like right now in full triathlon training? Lets say 20X100's or 10x200's(pace and interval). And something a lot of the folks here are gossiping about right now, do you do any pulling?? (-;

Nice job too, I used to love to race in the weather you had that day, seems to suit you too it looks like?

I do a variety of swim workouts, but haven't done 20x100 or 10x200 in awhile. Pace for those all depends on rest interval. I have really worked on top end speed this year and have seen my 100 all out consistently 50-52 and 200s in 1:50 give or take. That is with a lot of rest. Threshold is probably 00 and can roll a 1:05 base.

I do a lot of pulling. I like it though and have never had shoulder issues from it.

Coming from a big swim background, do you find that emphasizing pulling in your workouts is more beneficial for triathlon and open water swimming?

I think it definitely helps the strength component. It is just one aspect though. It's like doing big gear repeats or hill reps on the run. They are great tools, but if you only did that you are ignoring the rest of the puzzle. I tend to use normal swimming as a gauge for fitness then rather than how well I am pulling
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
How many days after a 70.3 do you find to be 100% back to normal and on a normal training schedule again?

Can take anywhere from 5 to 8 days. I usually do 3 or 4 really light, then start to build back into it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next