Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oceanside swim course change
Quote | Reply
Well, as expected they reverted back to the old course due to waves. All that worry for nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talansky and Sanders have to be happy about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have given 10 to 1 that was going to happen, 3ft surf is just too scary for al those fit trigeeks...
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really a shame. I get that it was really an unfair call when they changed it so late in the game to an ocean entry, more so for those people coming from places where you can't even swim open water. But having swam right where the start is the past 3 weekends, even days when there was a decent sized break it really wasn't bad as the water is still pretty shallow. By the time you got to 6ft deep you were past the break most days.
Hopefully they will go for the ocean start next year and not cop out when there is a little break.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would have given 10 to 1 that was going to happen, 3ft surf is just too scary for al those fit trigeeks...

What has Ironman been doing with Superfrog in the past few years. Does that swim not go on?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the official announcement:
IMPORTANT RACE DAY UPDATE:
'After consulting with the City of Oceanside Lifeguards and multiple surf forecasting tools, we are moving the planned beach start to the harbor, and the swim portion of the race will take place entirely in the harbor (as in years past), as wave heights of up to 4 feet are expected on Race Day.
Athlete safety is our top priority, and we are here to make sure your Race Day goes as smoothly as possible.
For more information
👉 https://bit.ly/2HezIWb
Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend!'

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
monty wrote:

What has Ironman been doing with Superfrog in the past few years. Does that swim not go on?

still goes on. seals wont let it be wussified
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ehhhh whatever, would've preferred the Ocean start but don't really care it's back in the Harbor.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s amazing how much mental energy some folks on my FB feed are giving this. If you want to race the waves become the RD. Otherwise be flexible, move on and race the course they give ya

That said all the local sprints and Olys would go through the surf.

At any rate I find it a little suspicious that they are canceling now (and I’m not even a conspiracy guy). I get that they have to maybe make some arrangements to put it back in the harbor but not like they haven’t done that tens of time. Current forecast is a consistent and swimmable 2-3 feet, and I’ll bet it’s smaller than that on race day The outrage will be palpable (feigned or real)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 5, 18 20:56
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
Ehhhh whatever, would've preferred the Ocean start but don't really care it's back in the Harbor.

I'm with you, don't give a shit, just want to race!
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see people posting predictions that suit their own bias; if you are againat the move to the harbor you see people saying 2-3ft.

I was out there this morning and those things were 4-5ft, and some looked a bit bigger.

I didn’t like the original change, but I practiced enough to a point I was very confident that I would have a good swim, so I am a bit bummed out, moreso because I spent money on some coached sessions to be ready for race day.

But let’s not pretend that the conditions out there are calm and surf is just 2ft, that’s just not true. It may have been like that last week, but it wasn’t like that this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:

But let’s not pretend that the conditions out there are calm and surf is just 2ft, that’s just not true. It may have been like that last week, but it wasn’t like that this morning.

Bullshit. Today was very calm.

Unless the surfers at the harbor were 9 feet tall, it was 2 -3 this morning. The sets were waist high on dudes crouched over on longboards. Not sure how a waist high wave could suddenly be 4 or 5 feet otherwise.

Surfline, magic seaweed and wetsand all have saturday at 2-3' at 12 seconds (short period stuff means no power at all). That's not me "changing it to what I want": That's the consensus of professional, accurate surf forecasters.

This is why triathletes have their well earned rep of being a bunch of prima donna drama queens.

Such a joke.
Last edited by: davejustdave: Apr 5, 18 21:56
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, one of us is bullshitting then. I was also there, swam by Tower 14, at 10:30am and I am calling bullshit on your 2-3ft.

I swam with the coach from Endurance House and she confirmed that the day prior the waves had been higher.

She has been in the water all week doing clinics for athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The point is that 48 hours out you’ll have no idea what Saturday will look like. I don’t have any idea what your experience is so I take your word that they are 5 feet, although I’ll just point out every qualified surf report says 2-3 yesterday. I find people often overstate what the actual surf is Someone take a photo of a surfer on the biggest of the swell. 5-6 is a good sized wave.

But ok, like I said you’re there I’m not. I will be tomorrow and I’ll have an opinion as to whether it could have been done. And trust me, im not one of those internet warriors saying I’d charge anything from the safety of my computer, and I give RDs the benefit of the doubt when assessing game day conditions.

Why are we making the call two days before? That’s what I am questioning
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 6, 18 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
The point is that 48 hours out you’ll have no idea what Saturday will look like. I don’t have any idea what your experience is so I take your word that they are 5 feet, although I’ll just point out every qualified surf report says 2-3 yesterday. I find people often overstate what the actual surf is

But ok, like I said you’re there I’m not. I will be tomorrow and I’ll have an opinion as to whether it could have been done. And trust me, im not one of those internet warriors saying I’d charge anything from the safety of my computer, and I give RDs the benefit of the doubt when assessing game day conditions.

Why are we making the call two days before? That’s what I am questioning

I agree, they changed it too early. And I would like to state that I would’ve liked for then not to change it, even with the surf as it is now, it was still manageable. I mean, I only practiced 3 times and I was able to do it from the first try, and I do not have a swim background.

I just don’t agree with the 2-3ft, since I was IN the water trying to get through the surf, and those things were not some 2 footers. They were bigger and they had decent strength.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Apr 6, 18 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may know this, I don’t know, but wave heights are wave faces. Not from the sand. So a five footer standing waist deep is well over your head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know. So 2ft waves, if I am standing in waist deep water means they would be about face height. And they were definitely taller than me.

Like you said, the question is why did they change this early? Maybe it's just do with whatever they have to do in the harbor prior to the race? I'm going to guess that they need 1 day to setup the buoys, and making that decision race morning would be impossible for them to set up with buoys, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been thinking about what they need to do. Timing and end of swim barricades to run to T1 are the same. They’d need to do flags on the beach, entry arch and buoys. Probably missing something

Entry arch would be difficult race morning. Buoys I think the guards do. They set them up Friday in the harbor but probably because it’s calm. They wouldn’t set up OW buoys until race morning I’d think.

I would guess there would be enough stuff to deal with a change to the swim along with everything else (and it would be working inside T1 with all of the morning athletes so it would be difficult). I can see wanting to deal with it now vs then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may know this, I don’t know, but wave heights are wave faces. Not from the sand. So a five footer standing waist deep is well over your head. //

Actually I believe they do not measure the faces, but the backs of the waves. So it is from water level to the top of the cresting wave, so you were right that it has been 2 to 3 feet. What the other guy is looking at is the face of the wave, so it could be 5 foot there, but that is not what they measure. Thats why surfers will say 5 foot face, or shoulder high when the actual surf that day was 2 to 3 foot as typically measured.

And people not familiar with waves on a daily basis "always" think it is bigger than it really was... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From surfline at least (yeah, I checked before posting as I know some people do it differently)

"Surf definition: will always be breaking wave heights on the face."

http://www.surfline.com/...recaster-blog_22495/

But (and not talking about tulkas) I agree, I see a lot of talk on facebook about swimming in "6 foot waves" (and these are weak swimmers generally), and I think "mm hmmm"
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam out this morning from where we were going to start through the breaks out past the break wall then lined up with the end of the pier and swam over to it. Getting through the surf was pretty easy, waves weren't over head. I'd call it a gentle swell. Even the waves hitting me in the chest as I was peeing weren't strong enough to push me back. It was pretty easy to breath since if you looked when you were breathing you could see when the next swells were going to lift you

The RD & WTC's lawyers were probably pissing in thier pants thinking about some 60-75 yo, or those triathletes who are racing in the ocean for their first race ever, or those triathletes who swim 1x/mo, those who can barely break 45-50 min for a half IM swim and thinking hmmm this could kill them.

Putting the ocean into Oceanside was probably a bad call from the beginning since. Sad really, as I was looking forward to going through the swells.

Just another step in the pussification of the sport but really we're pretty far down that road so...

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 6, 18 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not a last minute thing. This was already happening as of Thursday morning. They were never going to have it in the ocean and used the lifeguards and the city as scapegoats.
Last edited by: Sbernardi: Apr 6, 18 16:21
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oceanside Harbor and Jetties are always bigger than other local breaks. One of the beauties of it. It is known. And right now it is NOT big. Macking was a few years ago when Brian Long had his Labor Day Swim. Macking, jacking, lined up with massive walls and consistent sets. People headed to get barnacled at the pier after entering in no time. But the stellar and competent young and older lifeguards were suited up on skis and pulled all that required it.... Out of harms way. That day was a tad gnarley and all got out safely. Maybe not how they intended but safe none the matter.
If going to put the swim on the open faced side then do it. It can be the rare 8-10' and still be fine there. Go deep to the sand and let the power of Mother Nature roll above you.
But now it's just another-swim. Hey maybe they will make up for it like the year 2000 and it was full distance they miscalculated the swim. We scored an extra half mile out it.
Good luck all.Looks like it will be a tame or tamer swim.

dr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imagine a surf start being canceled due to...surf?! Unammusingly typical of WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside swim course change [meronamkeithho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meronamkeithho wrote:
Imagine a surf start being canceled due to...surf?! Unammusingly typical of WTC.

Yeah, it was total bullshit. I felt like I was swimming in a pool today, they should have sent us out in the surf.
Quote Reply

Prev Next