Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tubular choice- Vittoria Corsa Speed vs g+
Quote | Reply
Racing ironman Australia, the roads are chip seal and full of potholes.
I am riding tubulars, how much time
Would I be giving away over an Ironman distance riding the vittoria g+ instead of the Corsa Speed? I will be running sealant however don’t know if the speed will be the right choice with no flat protection.
If there is a better option let me know, my other option is a continental comp pro Ltd with latex tube if that’s worth looking at?
Quote Reply
Re: tubular choice- Vittoria Corsa Speed vs g+ [Clintred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clintred wrote:
Racing ironman Australia, the roads are chip seal and full of potholes.
I am riding tubulars, how much time
Would I be giving away over an Ironman distance riding the vittoria g+ instead of the Corsa Speed? I will be running sealant however don’t know if the speed will be the right choice with no flat protection.
If there is a better option let me know, my other option is a continental comp pro Ltd with latex tube if that’s worth looking at?

Sort of a similar boat. I switched to tubs 6 months ago and bought Corsa Speed G+ for my Zipp disc/808. I was a bit shocked when I got them in the post, they seemed so lightweight and fragile. My 2nd race (a sprint) I flatted, luckily as I was coming into T2. I hadn't put sealant in though. I did put pitstop in to try and repair it, but it didn't work. I ended up cutting up the tyre and pulling out the tube as I couldn't find a hole in the actual tyre. The hole in the tube was massive, like an inch long! Anyway I bought another Corsa Speed, filled both of them with sealant and have raced 2 OD and 1 sprint with them, no flats yet. I was going to put some continental attacks on for Busselton in 4 weeks, but am thinking of racing with the Corsa Speeds and carrying one spare tyre. If that goes OK I may race with them for Ironman WA in December. But the roads around Busselton are pretty clean. If you're racing Port and the roads are as bad as I've heard, I would seriously consider something else or maybe carry two spares? I don't really think these tyres are suited for anything more than short races or TTs. One more flat then I'll probably ditch them and go with something with more puncture protection. What about the Vittoria Triathlon Speed?
Quote Reply
Re: tubular choice- Vittoria Corsa Speed vs g+ [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The corsa speeds look very very light however these days age group races can be decided by a minute or two, not really in the business of giving away minutes with the wrong tyre (or by flatting unnecessarily) so want to make the right call!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clintred wrote:
The corsa speeds look very very light however these days age group races can be decided by a minute or two, not really in the business of giving away minutes with the wrong tyre (or by flatting unnecessarily) so want to make the right call!

Yeah my $0.02 is they're not designed for that kind of road surface and you should use something else. A flat is going to cost you more time than you'll lose by using a slightly more robust tyre. I guess it depends on important the race is, how well you want to do and whether it's worth the risk. I've already qualified for the worlds in South Africa so Busselton isn't as important, hence the reason I'm going to take the risk and use them. Plus the roads are good. If the roads were shit and it was an important race i.e KQ, no fucking way. You would end up kicking yourself if you got a flat and noobed the tyre change. That said I practised changing tubs and can do it in an under a minute.... maybe flip a coin ha ha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think corsa g+ will be the choice unless someone has a better suggestion with similar puncture protection and better rolling resistance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigger tubular, lower pressure and good flat protection on that road surface.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clintred wrote:
I think corsa g+ will be the choice unless someone has a better suggestion with similar puncture protection and better rolling resistance

The Vittoria Triathlon Speed would be your next best option. Lighter and faster than the Corsa G+, slightly less puncture protection, but more so than the Corsa Speed G+.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will have a look at this option for sure, thanks heaps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the triathlon speed really quicker than corsa g even though they don’t have latex tubes? I hadn’t even looked at them due to the butyl tubes but if they are a good option then I guess they will be the choice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clintred wrote:
Are the triathlon speed really quicker than corsa g even though they don’t have latex tubes? I hadn’t even looked at them due to the butyl tubes but if they are a good option then I guess they will be the choice

I wouldn't worry about the Butyl tubes. Conti don't stick latex tubes in their tubs (other than the pro version) and their tubs are very popular. Don't get too caught up in small stuff like tyre selection, there is a lot of shit written on the net about gear, including this forum, take it with a pinch of salt. People will tell you, you will lose X amount of time using butyl over latex and you're an idiot for not choosing the latter.... it will drive you crazy if you buy into that. Yeah latex is quicker, but it's a negligible amount in the real world. And don't forget Vittoria tubs with latex lose air like nobodies business. My Corsa Speeds lost about 5psi over 2 hours. No biggie, but if you pump your tyres up in transition at 5.30am, race start at 7.30am (start for IMWA) do a 60min swim and 5 hour bike split, you'll be off the bike at 1.30pm, so that's 15 psi you've lost. Something to consider with latex tubs. Andy Potts rode his 2nd fastest Kona bike split and 2nd fastest overall Kona time, not only on butyl tubes, but Gatorskins... no I'm not joking. The year after he's racing on Conti GP 4000s with latex tubes and goes a whole 45s quicker.... Tyre selection is not going to make or break your race. If you're in that headspace where you think it might, you need to get out of it ASAP and focus on your training. Dot the i's and cross the t's, be professional about your training, race strategy etc but forget the small, insignificant shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI - I did a sprint Sunday with a 28km bike and tyres didn't flat so will use them for Busselton 70.3 in 3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been road racing on the corsa G+ for two years now, overall i am pleased with the tire. I am guessing i have put around 6,000 miles on 7 pairs, i typically remove them from the race wheels after 700-800 miles of racing. I have only had one puncture and that was on a pair that i kept on past the race season and wanted to see how they would wear in, puncture was around 2000 miles. They start to wear fairly significantly after 750-1000 miles.

In my opinion they are the best tubular on the market. They mount extremely easily, handling is great in all conditions, and puncture to speed ratio seems to be best in class. I personally do not use sealant in the tires.
Quote Reply