Re: Denizens of the gym [JKLipsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is overdue, sorry

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point. What's with teens that their so weirded out being naked in the locker room? At the pool, I routinely see youngsters go into a bathroom stall in order to get in/out of their bathing suit.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waytooslow wrote:
- I swear I am the only person left on the planet without a tattoo

No tattoos here.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
waytooslow wrote:

Nope

I'm a different kind of straight-edge punk rocker: I still like to drink, but I got no ink

Can someone please explain to me how getting tattoos jives with being straight-edge?

So you dedicate your life to keeping things like alcohol and drugs out of your system (for some it means being vegan and others no caffeine or prescription drugs) yet they all seem perfectly willing to pump a ton of ink into their skin.

Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
less risk of a comic nekkid guest appearance in somebody's selfie
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
Crank wrote:
The "Gym Denizen Instagram Selfie." Usually a dude sitting on a bench close to a mirror. Two hands on the phone, held at about waist level and pointed at the reflection in the mirror. Flexes entire upper body, looks super jacked, face down (face is usually obscured in the photo by bill of baseball cap pulled low), snaps the photo. Relaxes and is no longer super jacked. Posts it, probably with a bunch of hastags including #fitness and #neverskiplegday or some shit like that.

There are a few kids I've seen at the local YMCA who video each other doing bench press and squats. They say it's for showing their football strength training coach, but I've seen them posting the vids on social media.

That could be how they are showing their strength coach.

#LegDayBruh #PumpingIron #Fitness

Last edited by: BLeP: Mar 21, 18 6:23
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
wimsey wrote:
Crank wrote:
The "Gym Denizen Instagram Selfie." Usually a dude sitting on a bench close to a mirror. Two hands on the phone, held at about waist level and pointed at the reflection in the mirror. Flexes entire upper body, looks super jacked, face down (face is usually obscured in the photo by bill of baseball cap pulled low), snaps the photo. Relaxes and is no longer super jacked. Posts it, probably with a bunch of hastags including #fitness and #neverskiplegday or some shit like that.

There are a few kids I've seen at the local YMCA who video each other doing bench press and squats. They say it's for showing their football strength training coach, but I've seen them posting the vids on social media.

You forgot my personal favorite fitness hashtag: #gainz.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
wimsey wrote:
Crank wrote:

You forgot my personal favorite fitness hashtag: #gainz.

#snatch #guyswholift #instafit #fitlife #shredded

BTW, I just found out that there are websites that list hashtags for various topics. So you can reach as many people as possible about your #gainz

Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
RandMart wrote:
waytooslow wrote:

Nope

I'm a different kind of straight-edge punk rocker: I still like to drink, but I got no ink

Can someone please explain to me how getting tattoos jives with being straight-edge?

So you dedicate your life to keeping things like alcohol and drugs out of your system (for some it means being vegan and others no caffeine or prescription drugs) yet they all seem perfectly willing to pump a ton of ink into their skin.

Actually, straight-edge "founder" Ian MacKaye has none, but Henry Rollins [another acclaimed straight-edge] certainly does

So, I can't tell ya, for certain

Upon reflection, back in my band days, I might have been mistaken for straight-edge while on stage: I didn't get high or drunk before a gig, didn't drink while playing, but I usually hooked up with a girl afterwards [breaking "rule" #3 from "Out Of Step"]

Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your comments about pointlessly light weights are making me self-conscious!

I'm the weirdo trying to do rehab for my ankle - I need enough weight to load the ankle but have to hold it in a way that doesn't irritate my rotator cuff tendinitis, tennis elbow, or carpal tunnel. And I have to balance on one foot. I have the smallest possible barbell that is wider than the squat rack, which I'm leaning into for balance, and lift my heel a couple inches. It's hard, frustrating and totally goofy-looking - just what I want in an exercise.

JerseyBigfoot wrote:
Iā€™m in my gym five days a week so get to see loads of shit. It is a reasonably small gym, and doesnā€™t have a steroid culture, but the majority of casual lifter stereotypes are all present and correct.

Thereā€™s the midlife skinny-fat dude who wears a compression vest that rides up over his belly, and overloads every set so that he has to cheat the movement on every exercise.

There are the young newcomers who stick together in packs of 3-4 watching each other lift pointlessly light weights and randomly flit from exercise to exercise, with no plan.

There are the young buff dudes wearing vests but tracksuit pants, who Iā€™ve never seen doing anything other than a chest and arm routine.

Thereā€™s the post-new-year bullshit month where the smith machine is clogged with an assortment of asshats doing reverse leg presses, lying on the floor with their feet pushing the bar up. Meanwhile the actual leg press is unused. Other ā€˜uniqueā€™ exercises are on display by people who really just need to get on with the foundation exercises.

Thereā€™s the chunky nut job who has obviously been reasonably active all his life but should have sized up his shorts a decade ago. He likes to sprint on the treadmill and elliptical until soaked in sweat and then proceed to do circuits on the various free weights, leaving benches soaked in his wake.

Speaking of circuits, thereā€™s the older trainer who only ā€œtrainsā€ people whoā€™ve never been in the gym before. At peak time heā€™ll be guiding his client through a circuit using half the work stations and weights equal to a can of beans.

Boxing/MMA has been in for a while. Thanks to that we now have guys skipping in between sets, blocking any equipment within a 2m radius. I like skipping. Skipping is fun. In an unused cardio room with lots of room.

Thereā€™s the runner/triathlete who does floor exercises in his calf compression sleeves (and running kit - in case you were visualising this) in the middle of the free weights despite their being a room, usually empty, for this purpose.

Iā€™ve a lot of love for anyone who squats or deadlifts with form. In fact, anyone who lifts with good form and doesnā€™t overload the bar. Very few people in a gym have sensible routines.

Wow. I needed to get that off my chest!
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alibabwa wrote:
It's hard, frustrating and totally goofy-looking - just what I want in an exercise.

I saw a woman in the "Cable Cage" doing something very interesting ...

From a standing position with an overhand grip, she would bring the bar up, like a cable curl

Then, with the bar still up, she would drop to a squat

Next [and here's the weird part] she would raise up out of the squat, lower the bar, and as she went back into the squat, she would do a row

She did the squat/row thing maybe 6-10 more times, before standing up all the way and lowering the bar to finish

She did three or four sets of this, I guess; I could neither watch nor comprehend

When we got home, I asked "What the fuck was that?"
"I dunno? I just invented it!!!"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that college basketball is over, I've been kinda struggling with the schedule to find something decent to watch while on the 'Mill at the gym

Since I've been starting my run between 6:30 and 7:00, the post-NCAAM routine has been to start up, catch the end of Sportscenter, change it to Jeopardy!, run through Final Jeopardy, and thru the credits, then change it to ANY fucking thing else, before Wheel Of Torture starts [I fucking HATE that show]

Now, the transitions are made a little trickier, because I don't run with headphones, and I refuse to watch TV on the TM with captions on [why would you READ a TV, amirite?] However, I DO make this one concession for Jeopardy!, because it really doesn't work otherwise

Thankfully, the patrons around me ARE wearing headphones, so they don't hear me shouting my answers out, commenting "I didn't know that" or "Fuck, that's right!" on the responses I skip or miss, and "You dumbass!!!" on the ones *I* answer that the contestants miss, and "You fucked up" when the person gets the right response on Final Jeopardy, but doesn't bet enough [always bet everything, or - if you're in the lead - enough to cover $1 more than double the next person*]

I post this here & now, because in some alternate universe [or maybe the SAME universe, who knows?] someone is posting in their own "Denizens of the gym" thread about "this skinny little shit runner who is always screaming the answers out, while I'm trying to watch Jeopardy! ... and that little fucker is SMART!!!"

* Jeopardy! now sends 2nd & 3rd place finishers home with $2000 & $1000, respectively, so even if you zero out, you got something ... plus: you were ON fucking JEOPARDY!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
* Jeopardy! now sends 2nd & 3rd place finishers home with $2000 & $1000, respectively, so even if you zero out, you got something ... plus: you were ON fucking JEOPARDY!

My wife works with someone who's son won on Jeopardy like a decade or so ago. He still lives at home and works some menial job. "You won Jeopardy, yeah right!" has to have been said to him at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably by someone at the comic book store where he hangs out

Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
RandMart wrote:

My wife works with someone who's son won on Jeopardy like a decade or so ago. He still lives at home and works some menial job. "You won Jeopardy, yeah right!" has to have been said to him at some point.

FWIW, I recently found out a friend's neighbor works at Disney as a janitor at night. His prior job? He was a nuclear physicist at Los Alamos and was, at one point, one of Dr. Teller's research assistants. Sometimes really smart people say "screw it" and work a simple job and live a simple life for the sake of their own sanity.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
RandMart wrote:

FWIW, I recently found out a friend's neighbor works at Disney as a janitor at night. His prior job? He was a nuclear physicist at Los Alamos and was, at one point, one of Dr. Teller's research assistants. Sometimes really smart people say "screw it" and work a simple job and live a simple life for the sake of their own sanity.

No doubt, I'm sure there's a lot to be said for a low stress job if you don't mind the pay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, Wheel of Fortune comes on AFTER Jeopardy where you live? That's messed up
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
Wait, Wheel of Fortune comes on AFTER Jeopardy where you live? That's messed up

Wheel of Fortune is on BEFORE Jeopardy where you live ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where I live:
7:00 wheel of torture
7:30 jeopardy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
Where I live:

7:00 jeopardy
7:30 wheel of torture

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
Where I live:

that's so messed up
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone spent a LOT of time writing an article with multiple charts, graphs, and explanations for the bizarro world of Jeopardy then Wheel that you poor unfortunate souls live in:

http://www.graphgraph.com/2014/03/jeopardy-and-wheel-of-fortune-airtimes-in-graphs-and-maps/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Triocd wrote:
Where I live:

that's so messed up

Does the sun also rise in the West and fish fly in the air?

Tell me, where is this Unholy Place that I shall avoid it forevermore

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Triocd wrote:
Where I live:

that's so messed up

Does the sun also rise in the West and fish fly in the air?

Tell me, where is this Unholy Place that I shall avoid it forevermore

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's funny, because was gonna say Ohio

I'm not allowed in Ohio, so that works out fine

ETA: Looking at your profile,Triocd, it says "Cambridge, MA" ... which is also OK, since, although I am allowed in Boston, I don't like it very much, so I avoid going there whenever possible

And yes, if I should somehow get a BQ, I would not run

Last edited by: RandMart: Apr 13, 18 6:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next