Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now
Quote | Reply
Man, Mastodon's new album is good. Heavy, melodic, well put together. I highly recommend a listen.

Here's one of the standouts (for me):

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like these guys a lot. I first saw their Blood and Thunder video many years back and got hooked instantly. Some heavy metal purists (whatever that is) might claim they've sold out about 7 or 8 times now, but they rock. I like that they use 3 different guys on vocals - it makes for some different soundscapes. Brann Dailor is a top-notch drummer. I really like Crack the Skye, although had a harder time getting into The Hunter.

Their videos are hilarious. Curl of the Burl and The Motherload cannot be unseen (and probably not safe for most places).

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm torn at the moment: Mastodon and Gojira are each playing here in October, but on the same night... In separate venues... The two bands I currently really want to see live, and they have to be booked here on the same night. Leaning toward Mastodon in the smaller of the two venues. Floor tix. See if I can still get in the pit with the kids.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to spend some time with Gojira - I've heard a lot of good things, but haven't taken the opportunity to give them a proper listen.

I have seen Mastodon live twice. They aren't the most exciting to watch, but if you're there for the musical performance and live experience, they're worth seeing once.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing about Gojira for me is that I like some of their songs a lot, and dislike others. Mastodon doesn't really do that to me.

I'm still trying to figure out this time signature (I've googled it and it makes my head spin):

Here's one of their popular "classics" that shows some musical range:

This one is pretty decent too, and gets into some further interesting time signatures:

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go to the Gojira show. IMO they are the best live band in heavy music. It's fucking ridiculous how tight they play.

I've never personally seen Mastodon live, but I've heard mixed reviews from friends. Some loved it, some said it sucked (and they were all fans, so they went in wanting it to be good). I think they're prone to having an off night now and then.

Plus with Gojira being Frenchies I'd wager that Mastodon will be back through your city again first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on your preference for vocalist styles. Gojira is certainly more "gravely", which is my preference, but not for everyone. Even those who claim to like it can tire of it after a bit.
I like the "frenchie" comment though.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i’ll check it out , will be back.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [KoopaTroopa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gojira tours a lot. I have seen them twice and they are a good live band, but attracts too much hipster scum. One time they were touring and had Igor Cavalera of the Sepultura fame play a couple of old Sep classics with them. That was fun.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will be seeing them in October though really going to see EODM who is opening.

Saw Gojira at Carolina Rebellion in May so it was a short set but they made the most of it. I think Mastodon played that weekend also but I don't remember seeing them.
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [tgrunnin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgrunnin wrote:
Will be seeing them in October though really going to see EODM who is opening.

That's the same show we saw in the Detroit area a couple months back. Mastadon's stage/lighting is pretty trippy.

In the meantime, enjoy...

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [KoopaTroopa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled the trigger on Mastodon tix. I'm just not feeling the same pull to see Gojira as I am to see Mastodon.

If I change my mind, I'm sure there'll be someone on Craigslist with Gojira tix who wants to trade.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m seeing both gojira and mastodon in same show in two weeks. Really psyched. Mastodon is easily best band to do indoor trainer sessions to...

Some gojira songs really remind me of darkane and some of their choruses. Which is a good thing. Love Swedish metal.
Last edited by: fulla: Mar 17, 18 0:51
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
I’m seeing both gojira and mastodon in same show in two weeks. Really psyched. Mastodon is easily best band to do indoor trainer sessions to...

Some gojira songs really remind me of darkane and some of their choruses. Which is a good thing. Love Swedish metal.

Actually, you're loving French metal. Gojira is from Bayonne France.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darkane are Swedish. I know gojira are French.
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, looks like I failed reading comprehension 101.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mastodon is the shit!!!

I've got tix to see them next month at Festival Pier with Primus.

When I first heard Mastodon, it was their Leviathon album, and I liked it a lot. Then..........meh....I didn't care anymore. Then, about a year ago I was cleaning the house and somehow three consecutive Mastodon albums ended up playing through Youtube and I got freakin' hooked! They are one of the few bands that I'll sit at work and listen to 3 hours of the same band.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Mastodon is the shit!!!

I've got tix to see them next month at Festival Pier with Primus.

When I first heard Mastodon, it was their Leviathon album, and I liked it a lot. Then..........meh....I didn't care anymore. Then, about a year ago I was cleaning the house and somehow three consecutive Mastodon albums ended up playing through Youtube and I got freakin' hooked! They are one of the few bands that I'll sit at work and listen to 3 hours of the same band.

Really good stuff from them.

I like Avenged Sevenfold better, though. Especially when they had James "The Rev" Sullivan (d. 2009) and then Arin Ilejay (joined in 2011, left in late-2014) on the drums. Ilejay had superlative double-bass/ride cymbal skills. And M. Shadows (singer) and Synyster Gates (lead guitar) are two of the best in metal rock history. Definitely top-100 of all time.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to find Empire of Sand on Record Store Day next month.

I continually try to find Black and Death Metal that isn't repetitive.
Quote Reply
Re: Fans of Heavier Music: I am really digging Mastodon right now [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
I'm hoping to find Empire of Sand on Record Store Day next month.

I continually try to find Black and Death Metal that isn't repetitive.

Try deafheaven. A lot of black metal purists don’t like them cos of their image - they look like an indie band. But they are tight. Watch their pitchfork festival appearance on YouTube. I used to love Nile as far as death metal goes.
Quote Reply