Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another hero of mine died today, stephen hawking.
Quote | Reply
What a mental giant the man was. Im surprised he lived as long as he did, and i feel we are all better off that he did. I always wanted to meet him.

https://www.google.com/...PiJIA8yNU7gEHYmtMXO4

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Another hero of mine died today, stephen hawking. [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIP.
Quote Reply
Re: Another hero of mine died today, stephen hawking. [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is disturbing on so many levels to me. I have had family on both maternal and paternal die of als, and it is genetic. He was amazing to last so long. But the disease scares the crap out of me and I have plans of diagnosed.
Also the most purchased but least read best seller. Sorry, but most folks couldn't hang in for the ride. Brilliant man.I could barely manage it, and I have a solid science background. Took.one 3x through to get him.
Sad day.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An amazing brain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Died? At this point, I thought he was more machine than man. Perhaps he'll come back as a hologram.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was fortunate not only to have met him but carried on a 30-40 minute conversation with him, specifically about dinosaurs. Superbowl Sunday 1998. A day I will never forget.

It will be a while before we have another mind like his on this planet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what he said to God.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
What a mental giant the man was. Im surprised he lived as long as he did, and i feel we are all better off that he did. I always wanted to meet him.https://www.google.com/...PiJIA8yNU7gEHYmtMXO4

Aside from the truly astonishing intellect, what most impressed me about him was his ability to explain his thoughts in a truly conversational and comprehensible way, such that even a non-super genius could wrap his head around at least the concepts. A great loss, and too bad that if he ever is awarded the Nobel Prize, it will be posthumous.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Last edited by: slowguy: Mar 14, 18 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: Another hero of mine died today, stephen hawking. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just listening to some speeches of his the other day regarding the philosophical implications of dimensions beyond space time. Despite his limitations - and quite to your point - he was great at articulating these complexities into relatively common language.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Another hero of mine died today, stephen hawking. [crowny2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crowny2 wrote:
I was fortunate not only to have met him but carried on a 30-40 minute conversation with him, specifically about dinosaurs. Superbowl Sunday 1998. A day I will never forget.

I would love to hear more about that story

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Another hero of mine died today, stephen hawking. [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
crowny2 wrote:

I would love to hear more about that story
Wife works at a natural history museum and I can in to help out. We were just getting ready to pack up around 3 and go to a SB part when she gets a call on the radio saying “Stephen Hawking and the museum president are in the dinosaur hall and he has some questions”.

Our eyes go wide and she knows there are no scientists on duty on a Sunday but she knows I’m a Dino fan and a bio major (did some chordate anatomy and evolution classes heavy on dinosaurs) so I get nominated. We grab another guy doing some laboratory prep work on a fossil who is a geology expert (and covered in dust) and we head back.

We get there and he already has a question tee’d up on the computer. Me and the other guy answered based on our knowledge for up to 30-40 minutes. At one point we noticed that as we were answering, he was already building the next question. So while one was answering the other would go behind to get an idea is what it was. Sped up the process a ton.

All in all he asked tons of great questions, many science still doesn’t have a solid answer for. It still is the highlight of this scientists life.

Funny side story, when we finished and were walking him to the front of the exhibit, his nephew/cousin who was with him was standing off to the side looking at something. Hawking purposefully drove over his foot with his heavy chair and actually laughed. It was hilarious.
Quote Reply